Speakers: do these look like anything you guys know?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Damián, Aug 11, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Damián

Damián Forum Hall Of Fame Thread Starter

These are a couple images of Audinac speakers (local brand), they were fairly well-known here a couple decades ago. There are a couple pairs for auction right now (locally).

The picture reminds me of a photo posted over here not long ago, can't remember make or model (or who posted the picture) though.

Do you guys think this could be re-branded stuff or just knockoff local production?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Regards,

Damián

2. Damián

No, wait..

I think I found the image I was talking about .. might've looked vaguely similar, but no cigar. Oh well..
    [​IMG]

3. Clay

Clay Forum Resident

BIC used the Piezo electric tweeters, could be an earlier model before the Venturi models came out.
    Could also be Infinity
    The surrounds on the speakers are better than most "house brands" used.
    Probably has Alnico magnets on the drivers too.

4. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

Those can't be American speakers.

5. 7_V

7_V New Member

I don't recognize them either. From the drive unit placement I would say that these wouldn't win prizes for imaging.

6. indy mike

indy mike Forum Pest

Got that boom and sizzle look from the types of drivers in those boxes....

7. Damián

No, they are not. They are local (Argentina) production. They just looked fairly similar to the ones in the second picture I posted (and I swear I've seen another picture right here in this Forum that was even closer), so I thought about asking -- perhaps they were rebranded stuff or something.

Thanks everyone :) :thumbsup:

8. Damián

Sorry, I don't fully understand your comment (excuse my poor English comprehension please).

When you say 'boom and sizzle', do you literally mean the way they'd sound? Boomy and frying-bacon-y?

Edit: FWIW, I might have a slight 'emotional bias' towards these speakers. My aunt used to have an Audinac stereo with speakers like these when I was a kid and all my parents had bought was a boombox, and going to her house and standing near these things that were practically my height at the time.. ;)

9. FreiheitZecher

FreiheitZecher New Member

Slap walnut lattice grills on, and they'd look like the Trios (Kenwood) they used to sell at the PX.

10. hot_wax_man

hot_wax_man New Member

They look nearly exactly like the ECI speakers that used to be sold here by custom Hifi. the deal was for $600 (1970 dollars) you got a great pioneer receiver, a technics TT, and these fabulous $600 pair speakers. Such a deal. They were building the speakers in a warehouse here in Houston with a manufacturing cost of $25 each. We called them ballooners because they were mostly air. But they looked awesome to the untrained eye. And of course to the untrained ear, these sounded way better than what B-se is still selling in the same manner.

11. Damián

Does that mean they're not worth it, knock-offs, cr*p?

12. FreiheitZecher

FreiheitZecher New Member

Like the "Acoustic Monitor" speakers con artists sell out of the back of a truck to the great unwashed here in New England.

13. hot_wax_man

hot_wax_man New Member

In a word? YES

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.