Speakers for the computer and Pono player

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Starwanderer, Sep 10, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Starwanderer

Starwanderer Senior Member Thread Starter

Hi everybody,

I'm looking for a new pair of speakers for both my iMac and my Pono player. As I have little space, I would prefer no subwoofer, just two monitors.
    I've read on other threads that the Audioengine 2s and the B&W MM-1 are highly recommended, but I'm not sure if I can also connect my Pono player.

Thanks. Any help is appreciated :)

2. jlykos

jlykos Forum Resident

You can definitely connect a Pono to the Audioengine A2. It will accept either RCA or 1/8" inputs.

Starwanderer likes this.
  3. B-Mike

B-Mike Forum Resident

Another vote for Audioengine.

Starwanderer likes this.
  4. Starwanderer

Thanks! I'll give them a go ;)

5. Rick58

Rick58 Forum Resident

I'm a bit confused. The Audioengine A2 goes for $250 or something, the B&W's are $500. What's your budget? unless my 10 second search didn't show the B&Ws at 1/2 price somewhere.

I'd have to look but the latest Stereophile had the Pono and ??? recommended. OK it's the Adam A3X ... $650 for the pair, a bit pricey but Mike L. likes the combo. I purchased a pair of Tannoy Reveal 402s to pair with my already bought iFi nano iDSD gizmo, I have yet to hook them up (they were the 'cheaper' system recommendation). Mytek+Dynaudio rounds out the 'expensive' category at $3500 ...

Anyway, not to diss the A2s but maybe the Pono is worth spending a bit more, and apparently sounds best when using each 3.5mm output in balanced mode to drive balanced-in powered monitors.

6. Chooke

Chooke Forum Resident

If your space allows it, I'd suggest the Audioengine's A5+ over the A2. You won't regret it.

7. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

If you don't want to spend a lot, the Klipsche with the subwoofer sounds terrific with my Mac! Around $150 at Best Buy but Amazon often has them for less. I am really fussy about SQ and I like them a lot, but I have not heard any of the other more expensive options mentioned up thread and I don't listen to music from my computer nearly as critically as I do on my two main systems.

ben_wood likes this.
  8. Claus

Claus Senior Member

Starwanderer likes this.
  9. Jack Flannery

Jack Flannery Forum Resident

I concur. I really like mine and no real need for a sub.

10. bmoregnr

bmoregnr Forum Rezident

So the Pono has variable line-out. Has anyone used the Pono with a powered speaker that do not have their own volume control? Does the Pono volume control change the lineout level or is it controlled in the Settings menu?

If so it may open up your options. While I agree the Audioengine A5 is a great choice, I use an NHT passive Classic Two and NAD D3020 with a Pono and am very happy with it. NHT makes a powered speaker with no volume control and I have also heard good things about Emotiva powered monitors.

It looks like the Emotiva has XLR input so perhaps you could play the Pono balanced output but would require special cables. Emotiva also makes the Control Freak a $50 passive volume control as well.

11. Splungeworthy

Splungeworthy Forum Rezidentura

Seconded. The Klipsch Promedia 2.1 sounds amazing, and can be had for around $120 on sale. Don't listen to the bad reviews you may see about this system-I've had one for about 4 years and have had zero problems.

12. Starwanderer

My mistake. I thought I'd seen the B&W MM-1 go for 300€. As you say, they cost about 500€. My budget ranges between $300-$500, but the KEF monitors Claus recommends are very tempting, so if I finally decide on those, I'll probably wait for Christmas to indulge myself ;)

Thanks for the tip on the Adam A3X. They are also a nice option, although they seem a bit big. Space is something I can't afford these days, although I may opt for a pair of speakers only for my Pono player and keep my Harman Kardon Soundsticks II speakers+subwoofer set for the computer.

13. Starwanderer

Vielen Dank, Claus

I'm afraid I cannot afford the KEF X300A. They look pretty nice, though ;)

I noticed both speakers have an internal DAC. As I'd like to use them with my Pono player, I'm not sure that would be good unless there was a way of bypassing it and using the Pono's.

My two options right now are the Audioengine A5 and the B&W MM-1. The latter are a great option because they are not very big, but your comment on them backs me out.

14. bmoregnr

bmoregnr Forum Rezident

The internal DAC of the speaker only gets used if you plug into the digital input of the speaker. If you plug into an analog input the DAC of your player gets used. Something with an internal DAC may well improve upon your imac analog output however so is probably worth considering.

15. Starwanderer

I didn't know that :o

Then, it may be sensible to wait for Christmas and get the KEF speakers.

bmoregnr likes this.
  16. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

I am on my second set. After two years the first stopped working but I was so happy with them I bought the same set again. I think these are now four years old and have been fine. Very telling that this same model is still available. I don't think you will find anything better without spending a whole lot more. Loud, great bass and very good mids and highs. $120 is amazing for what they are. Best Buy has them if you don't want to buy on line, but they will be a bit more.

ben_wood and Starwanderer like this.
  17. bmoregnr

bmoregnr Forum Rezident

I had those Klipsch 2.1 for a good many years non-critically listening out of a mac mini. I think they are great for that, and I am not knocking them or trying to be argumentative; but I will say having owned a Pono now for maybe a month, the Pono deserves a little better and you will get some real payoff bucking up towards the $300-$500 range.

This may all be a little moot as the OP does not want a sub, but I think the real magic of Pono is in the imaging, especially in the midrange. With the Klipsch 2.1 I think you would lose out on that strength vs. having a better and wider range main driver.

The OP may have also noticed that the Pono is pretty reserved in the treble range. I hate to use the word rolled-off but there is no getting around the fact that is what is going on in the graphs. The treble is there when it needs to be with Pono, and it is as accurate as I like it to be, but there is nothing bright about that player; and so if you want brightness, you might want to be sure the speaker delivers it because the Pono won’t.

18. Starwanderer

Like you, I'm not trying to be disrespectful to other members that have so kindly suggested nice alternatives but I agree with you.

A sub would be great, but I don't have much space and I'd like to be able to take my Pono and speakers easily and conveniently to any room with no family ;)

As for the Pono being reserved in the treble range, I must say I haven't noticed it. In fact, I hate excessive brightness, so it seems I have found "my" player :)

oneway23 and bmoregnr like this.
  19. bmoregnr

bmoregnr Forum Rezident

I love it as well and I found out after the fact that it fits the signature of my main system and now my desktop system, a little darker, rich in the mid range, just enough tight defined bass to get the job done and treble just what it needs to be; but all of it well balanced top to bottom. I have been using the Pono balanced into the Cardas EM5813, and in balanced it really seems to open up and give you a fuller sound that frankly kind of stops you in your tracks; I can't a/b balanced vs. single ended with the same headphones so I cannot say 100% what it is. I also don't know how that translates into speakers but you may want to keep your options open with a powered monitor that also has xlr inputs so that down the road you could get the cables necessary to try it that way. I asked in a Pono thread if anyone was using one xlr into powered monitors and this response highlights how someone was using it that way. http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/pono-feedback-anyone-have-one-yet.391418/page-29#post-12972378

Starwanderer likes this.
  20. Starwanderer

Thank you very much for taking the time to ask in that Pono thread. I really appreciate it :tiphat:

Bad thing about it is I have too many options and I'm a bit confused. It's not easy for me to test all those speakers, so I really appreciate forum's members expertise ;) I'll check the Emotiva speakers because I like the idea of a balanced output.

Thanks again

EDIT: Unfortunately, I cannot seem to find a dealer in Spain for the Emotiva speakers. I can buy them online, but I'm afraid the custom duties will be very expensive.
    The Focal CMS65, on the other hand, are available. I'll check them out.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2015
  21. Starwanderer

22. wwaldmanfan

wwaldmanfan Born In The 50's

I owned both the B&W MM-1's and the Audioengine A2+. It's not even close. The Audioengines blow the B&Ws away, have more versatile connectivity, and are 1/2 the price.
    I sold the B&Ws, too.

Starwanderer likes this.
  23. Starwanderer

Even though the Audioengine A2+ look nice, I'm tempted to buy the Audioengine A5. They're not very expensive and look a bit nicer ;)

24. Ham Sandwich

Ham Sandwich Senior Member

I'd be looking at studio monitor style speakers that can do balanced. The PonoPlayer sounds better in balanced mode than single-ended mode. The challenge will be finding a good little studio monitor in your price range that sounds musical and good for music. The other challenge is that there is some additional expense to go balanced. You'll need custom balanced line-out cables for the Pono along with a passive volume control like the Emotiva Control Freak.

Rick58 and Starwanderer like this.
  25. Starwanderer

Thanks. I like the idea, but I think that would increase the price a lot. The way I see it, I have two options right now: Either buying a new pair of speakers for about $300-$400 and be done with it or else wait for Christmas holidays and get more expensive balanced monitors together with balanced line-out cables and a passive volume control. To be continued... ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.