speakers or turntable

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by cowboy, Nov 30, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cowboy

cowboy New Member Thread Starter

It's my first time on and here's the deal. I've been in a sort of stereo time warp for the last 20 years while raising kids,wrapped up in career, etc. Kids are now off to college, the house is quite once again, and I'm re-discovering my love for music and stereo equipment. I want to start to up-grade. I have a Thorens TD 115 turntable, McIntosh C28, McIntosh MC502 amp, and McIntosh Stereotech Model 2 speakers, all bought new in the mid to late '70s. Where would I hear the biggest improvement, speakers or turntable. I'm looking at a VPI Scout or Klipsch RF7's. I've learned a bunch the last few months reading all the discussions at this site. Thanks everybody.

2. PMC7027

PMC7027 Forum Hall Of Fame

Do you listen to digital (CD, SACD, or DVD-A)? I ask because if you listen to digital, new speakers might improve the sound of all of your sources, while a new TT only improves the sound of your vinyl.

3. AKA-Chuck G

AKA-Chuck G Senior Member

I think speaker technology has evolved the most. Check out NHT SB3 speakers and listen to others as well. I am not that familiar with the TD 115 model but Thorens are solid from the era. Go for speakers first.

4. cowboy

I don't have a digital source right now. I'm a vinyl junkie all the way.

5. vinyl anachronist

vinyl anachronist Senior Member

I'd say start with the turntable. You can make more profound differences with the sound by changing the speakers, but the TT is the front end, the source, the beginning of it all. Garbage in, garbage out, etc. A great analog front-end with so-so speakers will sound better than a so-so front-end with great speakers (that'll just reveal the flaws more).

6. 51nocaster

51nocaster Senior Member

One other thing to consider. You might be surprised at how much improvement can be gained by upgrading a phono stage. What kind of music do you primarily listen to?

7. Dingusboy

Dingusboy Forum Resident

I had a C28 and while I have great respect for Mc gear and liked the C28, I did not like the phono stage at all.

Your cartridge might also be a good place to take a look at. Even if you do upgrade the table later the new cart can go with it.

Good Luck!

8. AudioEnz

AudioEnz Senior Member

Yes, yes, yes, yes, yes!

9. RDK

RDK Active Member

What condition are the 30-year old speakers in? Are the cones/surrounds deteriorating?

As long as the TT is in good shape I'd probably go with new speakers.

Also, get a CD player. I hear they're the newest thing. :D

10. Jack Keck

Jack Keck Forum Resident

I want to "third" what vinyl anachronist and AudioEnz have to say.

11. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

I say speakers if the TT is OK.

12. Robin L

Robin L Musical Omnivore

I realize this might seem like blackest heresy, but have you considered checking out a hi-rez Digital player? I think you might be surprised at the improvement in Digital gear recently. By the way, I have a good turntable and about 2000 lps, so it's not as though I'm unfamiliar with the charms of good analog playback.

13. deadcoldfish

deadcoldfish Senior Member

I'd go with a combination of cartridge and speakers, as you could upgrade the TT, but give yourself more time to investigate your options, though the Scout is a very nice rig.

Especially if your cartridge is the same vintage as the TT. Another upgrade would be a vacuum record cleaning machine.

14. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

..and don't forget those new multiplayers!...WOW! Hey! wait a minute, digital sucks...analog all the way... :D :wave:

15. IanL

IanL Senior Member

Although I think the right speakers will ultimately do more to "define" your system, I personally would jump all over that Scout right now and start enjoying it. You will probably smile every time you lay down a piece of vinyl, which for you is every time you listen to music. For me, playing vinyl and enjoying it has a lot to do with the actual feel of handling the vinyl and the turntable. A very physical experience. Speakers just kind of sit there and work their magic. Much less collaborative.

But I would also start auditioning some speakers with the intention of buying at some point down the road when you come across something that really speaks to you. Have patience with the speakers. If you make a hasty decision in this area, it could haunt you for a very long time.

16. cowboy

To answer a couple of the questions. I replaced the foam surrounds on the bass drivers on all 4 stereotechs. All the other drivers look fine and I hear no problems. I have one set of speakers stacked on top of the the first set. Speaker wire goes from amp to top set and then I have a jumper wire down to the bottom set. One problem I did encounter is the the spades on the Audioquest cables I bought won't fit in the terminal spaces on the back of the MC502. I just stuck one end of the spade into the screw hole. Not the ideal hook up I imagine. As for the cartridge, I bought an Ortofon OM 20 about 6 months ago.

17. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

I thought the phono stage in the c 28 was pretty good, considering the price of the unit.

18. audio

audio New Member

Speakers, definitely. I'd skip the Klipsch, though. That's for sure.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.