Speakers reviews and something funny I noticed

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by dnuggett, Oct 25, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dnuggett

dnuggett Forum Resident Thread Starter

So I'm reading a review for a pair of monitors when I come across this:

"Jason Mraz sounded like Jason Mraz. We have seen him many times, so there is real experience for which to reference that sound, and the nuances of his voice were acutely reproduced. "

This made me chuckle. The reviewer makes an assertion that these monitors reproduced Mraz's voice "acutely" and he KNOWS this because he's seen Mraz. Funny thing is, when he saw Mraz he wasn't listening to Mraz's voice straight from a mic. Mraz's voice went from a mic, to a mixer to an amp to a SPEAKER before he heard him.

It just cracks me up when people get all technical and crazy with their words to describe the sounds they are hearing.. but then forget the most obvious of details when they draw comparisons.

2. Core32

Core32 New Member

Are you making an assumption the reviewer hasn't seen Mraz in a small club? Possibly unplugged? Possibly in his home? Etc.?
    Seems it's very easy for anyone to make assumptions.

3. dnuggett

I'm not making an assumption that he hasn't seen him in a small club or unplugged. Even if he had, chances are extremely high that Mraz was mic'd. I am making an assumption that he hasn't heard Mraz in his or the reviewers house. Given that he said he's "seen" Mraz which is typically what you say when you go to a venue I think that's a safe assumption.

Do you know differently?

Last edited: Oct 25, 2014
  4. Gary

Gary Nauga Gort! Staff

If drums sound like paper boxes when you change speakers, you know there's something wrong with the speaker. Same thing with vocals.

The biggest problem is trying to describe sound reproduction in words. So saying that a drum set sounds like a drum set, or Graham Nash sounds like Graham Nash is an attempt to describe the sound as accurate. To some degree, at least. :)

Or at least that's what I think. :)

Brian Gupton likes this.
  5. dnuggett

Totally agree Gary. The issue as I saw it was using the word "acutely." It's probably the wrong word choice anyway, but I think the reviewer was saying accurately. Unless Core32 is right and I'm making a false assumption and the review has indeed heard Mraz's voice in the raw all the review is describing is that Mraz voice through these speakers sounds just like Mraz's voice through a different (concert) set of speakers.

6. Gary

Gary Nauga Gort! Staff

:laugh:

Oh, I see it now. :D Good catch, it's probably either a typo or spell chuck reared it's ugly head and made a bad suggestion. A guess, of course.... or should I say "A guess, of curse".... :D:D:D

7. The Good Guy

The Good Guy Forum Resident

I like the British Hi Fi reviews of radio tuners when they describe the naturalness of vocals & yet at the same time can be quite dismissive of CDs yet the sound they are describing is from a mid price Denon CD player (I know I have been to the BBC)

8. Core32

Core32 New Member

Do you? I see the words "safe assumption" right there in your post.
    And when I go to a club I would also say "I've seen xyz".
    Neither one of us is wrong, but only one is making an assumption.

9. dnuggett

See where you see them. That'll help you understand where I believe there is an assumption. Of the two of us... ah heck. I don't really care to go back and forth on it.

You can be right. He's heard Mraz's voice in the raw and can make the assertion he made in the review. There I feel better already. LOL!

10. Core32

Core32 New Member

11. riddlemay

riddlemay Forum Resident

It's a silly benchmark, because even reproduced through the tinny speakers of my iPhone, if it's Frank Sinatra, I can identify it as Frank Sinatra. Etc.

12. Jack Flannery

Jack Flannery Forum Resident

Saw Santana a couple of weeks ago. It was a fine concert and ole Carlos has it going on. And sounded nothing like my stereo.

13. dnuggett

Yeah Jack that's part of my point. The acoustics are just so much different between a personal listening area and a venue.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.