Speakers/rooms that don't conform to standard setup rules.

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Jtycho, Sep 21, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jtycho

Jtycho Forum Resident Thread Starter

I have Trenner and Friedl Ella speakers in my small (10x13), oddly shaped A-frame attic listening room. Over the course of a year I went through numerous position changes: rule of thirds, fifths, cardas, and more. Most of the time this forced the speakers to be 4-5 feet apart and placed me near field. I was never quite satisfied and decided to just place them based on listening, formulas be damned. They ended up about 7 feet apart (on the short wall), 2 feet off the back wall, only a slight toe in, and about 5 feet from me. The improvement is not subtle. So a lesson was learned: don't always follow the rules. I have no idea if it's the speakers, the room, or both, but it doesn't matter. You gotta experiment! I suppose it's possible that due to the low sloping ceiling that I am in fact conforming to another acoustic ideal without realizing it, but I'm tired of thinking about it!

Anyone else find this to be the case in your room?

2. The Good Guy

The Good Guy Forum Resident

Yes , my hifi is now in the bedroom (like when I was a teenager again) A big fat double bed in the middle , it's never sounded better!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.