Speakers that work close to back wall

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by james, Jan 1, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bob_in_OKC

Bob_in_OKC Forum Resident

I'm about as high-tech as Steve Hoffman on this one, except I use neatly rolled socks in mine.

Steve Hoffman likes this.
  2. MLutthans

MLutthans That's my spaghetti, Chewbacca! Staff

I once stuck ported speakers up my boxer shorts. Seriously hurt my tweeter.

CBackley, Nittr, tmtomh and 4 others like this.
  3. saturnsf

saturnsf Forum Resident

If you want to move into the 90s, you could try Keilidhs or Kabers. I've owned Kabers myself for almost 20 years, have them almost flat against the wall and sound just great.

4. ROLO46

ROLO46 Forum Resident

This is Hoffman, its all retro Elk....
    Boundary placement is poor for spacial imaging anyhow.

5. james

james Summon The Queen Thread Starter

thanks a lot for all the replies. a lot to consider!

6. TonyF

TonyF Forum Resident

Hey:

All the Rega speakers old and current models work well close to rear walls.

7. Lownote30

Lownote30 Bass Clef Addict

I guess that would work if you like the bottom port sound. I personally don't prefer that. It's hard to tame the bass when it's pointed at the floor.

8. james

james Summon The Queen Thread Starter

went with the all Rega setup, as my friend won't be experimenting with gear...and the RP1>Brio>RS3 seems fairly unfussy.

thanks for the suggestions

Ntotrar likes this.
  9. GoldprintAudio

GoldprintAudio Forum Resident

Nice choice!

Beattles likes this.
  10. dhoffa85

dhoffa85 Well-Known Member

beauty idea. hopefully they were cleaned shorts. :)

motorcitydave likes this.
  11. The Hawk

The Hawk Member

I have purchased used Naim Intros, Credos, and SBLs, between $1000 to $1200. They all go right up against the wall, within a couple of inches, and sound great. They are easier to get closer to the wall if you use Naim's right angled banana plug connectors.

12. chodad

chodad Hodad

DCM Time Windows

13. Lpone

Lpone Forum Resident

Linn used to design their speakers to be placed against the wall.
    I don't know about their newer designs though.

14. Abhijit Nath

Abhijit Nath Forum Resident

I have a pair of Gradient Revolutions on order, where you can turn the (triangular) dipole bass module to fire three ways (front, side and back). In the third configuration, you can put them right up against the wall. Both Robert Greene and Stereophile have a fantastic set of measurements pup- well worth a look.

15. laughalot

laughalot Forum Resident

A lot of rear ported speakers come with port bungs for use near a rear wall.

16. dhoffa85

dhoffa85 Well-Known Member

I am the great cornholio, I need port bungs for my bung hole - tee hee

lee c, russk, johnnypaddock and 2 others like this.
  17. motorcitydave

motorcitydave Enlightened Rogue In Memoriam

If the speaker is tuned right, there's really no need for plugs, imo. I certainly don't need them with my JBLs.

18. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

My '71 Klipsch Cornwalls do a great job up against the back wall. After all, that's where they're supposed to be. The dog ain't crazy 'bout them(that's his bed)but Elvis digs them. Seriously great speakers and placement couldn't be easier.

[​IMG][/IMG] 2013-01-09_12-28-00_180.jpg

DR.J and nightenrock like this.
  19. laughalot

laughalot Forum Resident

Sometimes its not due to the speaker but the room itself. I use them with the electras, they are very close to the rear wall and my room is a little bass heavy. Its a good option to have.

20. motorcitydave

motorcitydave Enlightened Rogue In Memoriam

True...

21. Dennis Metz

Dennis Metz Born In A Motor City south of Detroit

Those sound interesting. We are moving next month and I will be setting up my Naim gear on the main floor since my wife actually likes the way it looks. Do anty Neat speakers work close to a wall? I should be OK with 12 to 18 inches, but that's not enough for my PMCs.

22. Scott in DC

Scott in DC Forum Resident

I have Sonus Faber Walls. They are designed to be used against a wall. They sound good and I recommend them.

They'll need 30 or more watts per channel to sound their best.

Scott

23. Dennis Metz

Dennis Metz Born In A Motor City south of Detroit

I ended up getting a mint pair of Neat Momentum 4i speakers. I think I should be able to keep them around 2 feet from the wall. They sound fantastic with my Naim gear. I'll keep my PMCs for a surround sound set up in the basement.:cheers: Still working on permission to install a draught beer tap in our new kitchen!:righton::cheers::cheers: Black Oak on tap:pineapple:

24. DR.J

DR.J Forum Resident

This is my set up. The speakers are made by a Tyler Acoustics (Highland H2s). They are SEAS drivers in a big box that has two rear ports (one top, one bottom). Due to wife and life restrictions, this is my set up. The woofers are 10" and generate a lot of bass. Daft Punk RAM rocks the house! I know the set up could be improved (specifically imaging) with more room behind the speakers (currently just over 12" from back face of speakers to wall), but I don't think the bass is boomy at all. Others may differ in their opinion, but I like how they sound. Point is, don't eliminate rear ported speakers from your consideration.

IMG_0576.JPG

25. triple

triple Senior Member

Most speakers will work placed close to the back wall. However, I have not heard any that produced soundstage with depth.

The safest bet would be horn loaded speakers, like the Cornwalls mentioned above. However, these will be easily dissmised on the grounds of room esthetics, which probably led to the close-to-the-wall placement in the first place. Which closes the loop, so that feng shui conventions are fully preserved.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.