Speakers Upgrade on minimalist setup

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Carioca, Feb 14, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Carioca

Carioca Well-Known Member Thread Starter

Hello guys, quick question for you. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I’m looking for the best sounding active speakers to go with a Pro Ject Debut III and a Rolls vp29 pre amp. Space is very limited, I don’t have room for a stereo amplifier. WiFi or Bluetooth connectivity a plus. What’s he best bang for buck under $600?

2. BayouTiger

BayouTiger Forum Resident

I haven’t heard them, but I’ve heard nice things about the Peachtree M24’s. I’ve never found them to put out a product that is less than excellent. At $299 that leaves a couple hundred to seek out a small sub to supplement them.

Another option that would be worth looking at would be the ELAC UB5. Many here seem to love ELAC. The one pair I heard was not to my taste.

If you want to sample a bunch of powered monitors, I suggest a trip to Guitar Center. They have lots of powered monitors on display. These are really for near field listening, but I had a pair of mAudio 5BX with a little Yamaha sub and they were very good.

3. Carioca

Awesome, thank you for your help!

BayouTiger likes this.
  4. SpeedMorris

SpeedMorris Forum Resident

I really like the looks of the Peachtree, and they do have a phono stage that they fussed over pretty substantially.

M24 Powered Speakers | Peachtree Audio

There's always Kanto and Audio Engine as well.

Klipsch also has powered speakers with integrated phono stages.

SandAndGlass, Carioca and octaneTom like this.
  5. timind

timind phorum rezident

6. konut

konut Prodigious Member. Thank you.

Carioca likes this.
  7. octaneTom

octaneTom Man of Leisure

I have a pair of Audioengine A5+ speakers here at the office and I'm pretty happy with them — before this I was running an old c 1995 Yamaha 35w integrated receiver and a pair of Monitor Audio Bronze BR1 speakers, and I feel like the Audioengine setup gives me better/bigger sound, more defined bass and a nicer midrange - all with a much cleaner form factor. No Bluetooth however — I use an external DAC with them, plugged into my laptop. I picked them up used for $275.

Carioca likes this.
  8. Carioca

I heard about the powered Klipsch speakers like the r15pm and the sixes. The problem with the sixes and I don’t know if any of you heard of it is that I’m afraid they’re way overpriced for what you get. The MSRP is $799 but you can find them at Amazon for $598. Thoughts?

9. Carioca

That would work. I’ve heard great things about the A5+

10. SpeedMorris

I think with the Klipsches, one had better be darn sure one likes the sound signature.

Carioca likes this.
  11. noahjld

noahjld Der Wixxer

Nad D3020 version 2. Now with phono input.

SpeedMorris and Carioca like this.
  12. SpeedMorris

And a pair of $199 Diamond 10.1s. Not bad!!!

(*Now MD has jacked them back up to $249.:()

Carioca likes this.
  13. SpeedMorris

Carioca likes this.
  14. Carioca

Thank you! That helps a lot

15. Helom

Helom Forum member

I listened to a pair of Yamaha HS8 monitors ($350) at the local Guitar Center yesterday morning (before the patronage became an obstacle). I was surprised by their quality and output. They weren't irritating like most studio monitors I've heard. I believe they were powered by a class AB amp as they had a rather large heatsink in the rear. Some troll was raving about these a few months ago so I couldn't help but be a little curious. I must admit they were one of the better speakers I've heard under $1K. For an amp/speaker combo, they offer an excellent value.

avanti1960 and Carioca like this.
  16. Benzion

Benzion "Cogito, ergo sum" Forum Resident

I use Audioengine HD3, about $300 or a little more. Desktop speakers, 50WPC, bass to 60 Hz - not too bad for such a small enclosure. HD6's are more powerful and a bit more money.

Edited: with the HD3's you also get a headphone jack - works decently with low impedance cans.

Carioca likes this.
  17. SpeedMorris

Carioca likes this.
  18. Brother_Rael

Brother_Rael Senior Member

KRK, Yamaha, Mackie and a few others all produce active speakers in your budget. They come with onboard amps (one per driver) and would be the best bang for your buck.

Carioca likes this.
  19. JackG

JackG Forum Resident

Easy, JBL LSR305 .

Carioca likes this.
  20. Carioca

Thank you all so much for your help

21. avanti1960

avanti1960 Forum Resident

I've heard those too, quite a surprisingly transparent sounding speaker.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.