Speakers with "Room-filling sound"?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by ZenArcher, May 31, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ntotrar

Ntotrar Forum Resident

Bose 901 and be done with it.

2. PGB

PGB Procolholic

Is that a turntable sitting on the LHS speaker? How's that work (vibration, feedback, etc)?

McLover and Leigh like this.
  3. RalphNYC

RalphNYC Well-Known Member

I have a large room with an opening into dining/kitchen area, high ceiling and lots of glass. I bought the GoldenEar Triton 7 and love them. The Triton 5 is great too if you can fit a taller speaker, and has a bit more bass than the 7. I auditioned them side by side and they sound basically the same otherwise. Incredibly good sounding speakers, and quite cheap, which to me is a very nice combination.

PGB likes this.
  4. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

It's not being used when on the speaker. Would never do that.

PGB likes this.
  5. PGB

PGB Procolholic

Ok. Didn't think so (Yikes!) :eek:

6. PGB

PGB Procolholic

Sounds like a pretty challenging room, taming all that reflection!

7. SMc

SMc Forum Resident

8. tvstrategies

tvstrategies Turtles, all the way down.

I love my M&Ks. LCR-750 front left, center, right. 550 rear left, right, and 1250 sub. You can find them on eBay and the whole set will cost $1,000 or less if you're patient. They always got great reviews.

http://www.emagcloud.com/mksound/AVSA_review_May_2013/pubData/mobile/index.htm#/1/

The company went out of business but the brand and designs have been revived by a Danish company.

PS - Never been a big fan of planars - very midrangey and kinda overwhelm the room decor. the M&Ks are utilitarian, not so pretty, but by 'fill the room,' I mean with sound, not speaker cabinets. They are not directional (no sweet spot needed), and have a really good sound stage.

PPS - Previously, I had Ohm H's and they were nice, but the M&Ks...

Last edited: Aug 5, 2015
  9. kendo

kendo Forum Resident

A pair of the many variations of Tannoy's 15" dual concentric speakers WILL do the trick. Oh, Yes!...

[​IMG]

:)

10. Chris C

Chris C Music was my first love and it will be my last!

I would think that even if it sits there unused when the speaker is being used, that it would vibrate the counterbalance weight and other important things out of sync?

11. Whatever1

Whatever1 New Member

Klipsch Jubilees...... with the 402 horn

12. Still a proponent of Gallo Reference Strada 2's. Then again, I am a bit biased!

simon-wagstaff likes this.
  13. McLover

McLover Senior Member

My Klipsch Chorus are not just room filling, they are House filling, as the Cornwalls they replaced for a time.

14. sunrayjack

sunrayjack Forum Resident

just picked up some empty a-7 cabinets, time to start the next project.

SandAndGlass and bhazen like this.
  15. bhazen

bhazen GOO GOO GOO JOOB

I've had my Larsens (Model 4) for about a month; very happy. Kind of the same "school" as Sonab, Shahinian, Ohm: quasi-omnidirectional. Designed to radiate across and up into the room, they liberate one from the need to sit at the apex, as with conventional forward-firing speakers. I can be anywhere in my penthouse flat, and feel I'm getting all the music.

16. missan

missan Forum Resident

Glad You like them! Lots of work behind this design, I have the same type of speakers, difficult to listen to speakers with a speaker sound after getting used to these.

17. Tim 2

Tim 2 MORE MUSIC PLEASE

I agree, that was the worst advice yet.

18. The Seeker

The Seeker Forum Resident

Should have suggested this from the beginning to the OP. Try some Allison speakers. That's exactly what they do is fill the room sans specific sweet spot.

bhazen likes this.
  19. sunrayjack

sunrayjack Forum Resident

A-7's with new GPA 515's in them with 802G drivers on 511 horns, now that's room filling sound.
    After a little taming they sound great, pianos and strings sound like they are in the room, any song with an Irish singer is so realistic.
    I just don't know why the Irish voice sounds so real on these, They are in a really big room.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  20. wilejoe

wilejoe Forum Resident

I've heard mixed reviews of the 901's
    I need them to fill a kitchen and living room. Nowhere near optimal conditions but that's where I do most of my listening
    How do you think the 901's will do
    Thanks

21. Ntotrar

Ntotrar Forum Resident

901's work well on a room long wall and won't work well if crowded by furniture. They use the wall behind them as a reflective surface so positioning is important. They also need a Preamp, receiver or intergraded with a tape loop to set up the required equalizer. I think they are a good choice for a space where you are going to move around a lot. I don't own them but have heard them many times in different rooms. I do like them for less than critical listening and would consider them for my living room. Bose hatred is a cliche in the audio hobby world.

timind likes this.
  22. Pinknik

Pinknik Senior Member

[​IMG]

Fill any size room you like.

23. RDriftwood

RDriftwood Vintage Member

[​IMG]

These look nice. (Pic found on the net - no other info available.)

The FRiNgE, SandAndGlass and Pinknik like this.
  24. wilejoe

wilejoe Forum Resident

Thanks
    I need the WAF, there is a lot of furniture in the way and placement might be a problem
    I have a set of Bose acoustimass 5 which has served me well for years and more importantly kept the wife happy

25. The Seeker

The Seeker Forum Resident

Boom and screech.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.