Speakers with "Room-filling sound"?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by ZenArcher, May 31, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

Yeah, I remember Legacy Audio. I used to receive their catalogs back in the 80's ...

These speakers are too massive and I cannot sacrifice so much space at my house for them.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2016
  2. Sal1950

Sal1950 Forum Resident

Me either, nor the $25K a pair price. But I've always been a fan of Bill Dudleston's designs going back to
    his earliest offerings. I also used to get those catalogs back in the 80s, thought briefly about replacing
    my long term love Klipsch LaScala's with something from him. They're my kind of speakers. Large, efficient,
    throwing a large wavefront at very low distortion levels. If I had the money and room today
    they would be on my short list of speakers to audition.

3. wilejoe

wilejoe Forum Resident

4. coopmv

These Legacy speakers probably weigh over 100 lbs each ...

5. Sal1950

Sal1950 Forum Resident

Actually spec's say they're 332 lbs each!
    Whisper XDS | Legacy Audio - Building the World's Finest Audio Systems »
    You got to stand up bro, my wife knew she could do anything she wanted with the rest of the house but the living room was mine.
    It's where I set up my audio and video systems and spent the majority of my leasure time. She was allowed to watch TV or listen to music in there with me at night, but DON'T TOUCH anything. LOL but true.
    As B B King sang,
    I'll drink if I want to
    And play a little poker too
    Don't you say nothing to me
    As long as I'm taking care of you
    As long as I'm workin baby
    And payin' all the bills
    I don't want no mouth from you
    About the way I'm supposed to live
    You must be crazy woman
    Just gotta be outta your mind
    As long as I foot the bills
    I'm payin' the cost to be the boss

6. wilejoe

wilejoe Forum Resident

Sorry my wife works hard also
    I don't have nor want a man cave
    I love listening to my music and when the time ,and funds , are right I'll get some nice speakers that will make us both happy

7. tvstrategies

tvstrategies Turtles, all the way down.

Since before the beginning, I've had this old Kenwood receiver that has always been in the den, which, otherwise, has been TV-dominated. Over a period of years, I got a CD player, saved up and bought better speakers (M&K, now 5.1, which fill the room nicely enough for mere mortals that can't spring $30k/ea for speakers), and a few months ago, restored an old garage sale turntable to its former '70s glory.

Recently I was playing Caravanserai, and instead of turning on the TV and flipping channels, she sat down and said 'Wow, this sounds really good. Who is it?' Rather than saying 'Santana, dummy,' and that she's been listening to it on tape or CD in my car for 30+ years, I just said 'One of my favorites too!' I think the difference was that it was my 1972 vinyl copy.

On Saturday our 30-yr old came over and we all listened to records until 2:30 am with no flippin TV, ranging from Time Further Out (he's a drummer) to Alice Cooper (nice that the kid is old enough to enjoy a good single malt too). If records are playing, my wife now will sit down and listen instead. I'll ask now if she wants TV and it's usually 'No, finish your record.' She sometimes even turns the records up to a normal listening volume, instead of 'Turn it dOWWWwwn!'

So I think this set-up finally has achieved the elusive WAF.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2016
    SandAndGlass, The FRiNgE and kman like this.
  8. Thorensman

Thorensman Forum Resident

You are indeed a lucky man!

9. jimbutsu

jimbutsu WATCH YÖUR STEPPE

I've had a similar experience, now to the point where my wife is egging me on to upgrade stuff. I knew she had seen the light when I didn't set something up a certain way because she didn't like wires everywhere and she was adamant that A) she didn't care so much about that anymore and B) we had to do it right to get good sound.

The downside: no longer needing to justify all this nonsense could get REALLY expensive if we both like something.

tvstrategies and wilejoe like this.
  10. sudon't

sudon't Forum Resident

If you're talking about the free-standing speakers, as opposed to their center channel speaker, they are designed to be about a foot from the wall. Most of them come with at least one switch, labeled "room size", which is essentially a low-end cut. You could try that, if getting too much low-end reinforcement from the wall. The other thing you could do is pull them out a little when listening, then push them back to the wall when not. If you want to try the Ohm Walsh's, they have a 120 day return policy. If you don't like them, send them back. They fit your criteria of a wide sweet spot, (room-filling), and have a smaller footprint than some of the speakers others have suggested.

11. AcidPunk15

AcidPunk15 Forum Resident

I was iffy about buying these can you explorable more. what are your opinions on Kiplisch 260F/280F and Elac Debut F6

12. The FRiNgE

The FRiNgE Forum Resident

Was lucky to find at a local thrift back in the 2000's, a pair of Hartley Concert Master Jr's, 18 inch Hartley woofers. (since sold) I called them the "Jon Bonham speaker" for how they produced Bonham's kick drum. My listening space was large then, which I think the Hartley's like. To my ears the Concert Master is not a neutral speaker, but room filling, warmish and pleasant sounding, definitely fast and authoritative bass response. Zeppelin sounded large and satisfying.

13. Claude Benshaul

Claude Benshaul Forum Resident

Years ago I had the pleasure to listen for a few hours to Duevel Bella Luna speakers. I don't know if Duevel is sold in the USA, but if they do it's worth listening to them due to their rather unique room filling characteristic.

14. Did a little research and the Duevel Planets speaker (their entry level) is very interesting! Well reviewed too.

Planets Entry Speaker

15. triple

triple Senior Member

I am not entirely shure what speaker with "room-filling sound" is, but I think I have experienced its antidote - speaker with "room-emptying sound". It's called Monitor Audio. A couple of times I heard these at hi-fi shows, the rooms were empty and the rare visitors would quickly disperse.

16. coopmv

Monitor Audio may be a dying speaker brand, just saying ...

17. bradleyc

bradleyc Forum Resident

Yes, the Klipsch RP-280F are speakers with "house-filling" sound for around a grand for the pair. My RP-260F sound real nice paired with Marantz PM-14S1 amp in a very spacious great room.

Heckto35 likes this.
  18. Luvtemps

Luvtemps Forum Resident

My -Polk speakers fill my room pretty good.

19. Tim Irvine

Tim Irvine Forum Resident

My Tekton Pendragons can fill the room and the kitchen.

20. H8SLKC

H8SLKC Forum Resident

Room filling sound? Find the big dial. It spins to the right. Spin to the right until the room fills with sound.

21. PhilBiker

PhilBiker sh.tv member number 666

22. RiCat

RiCat Forum Resident

There are so many possibilities. Do you have a budget? Remember it is easy to fill a room with sound. Your goal is to fill it with "quality" not quantity. Your ears are the best judge for that. Take your time and listen to as many as you can.

Heckto35 likes this.
  23. New Yorker

New Yorker Member

I can second the nomination of the Hsu HB-1 Mk2/subwoofer package. I’ve had them almost ten years now and they’re great on both music and film. The 5.1 system fills my smallish, NYC 1-bdrm apartment living room (11’ x 17’) quite nicely.

(Previously I owned Energy Veritas 2.1’s, Sound Dynamics 300Ti’s, and Spica TC-50’s.)

24. coopmv

I did not know the company is still around ...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.