Sped-Up TV Shows: "The Waltons" are the new "Keystone Cops?"*

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by MLutthans, Nov 25, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MLutthans

MLutthans That's my spaghetti, Chewbacca! Staff Thread Starter

This morning, I was flipping channels when I caught part of "The Waltons" on Hallmark. The episodes are time compressed to the point that whenever there is action on the screen, it looks like it's an homage to silent films played at the wrong speed. In one shot, Ned Beatty was hammering on a horseshoe, and it looked like a joke. Do people actually watch a show that is butchered like this? It's blatantly bad! I'd love to know the % increase in speed they are using.

2. Walt

Walt Forum Resident

Ugh. Sounds like an attempt to squeeze more commercials into the programming.

I'm going to add this to the list of reasons why I don't have cable/ watch TV.

MikaelaArsenault and McLover like this.
  3. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

if your a fan of the shows get the DVDs...pleasurable viewing.:)

MikaelaArsenault likes this.
  4. MLutthans

I always found the shows to be in the take-it-or-leave-it category, but now that they are in the slapstick comedy category, I may find a new appreciation for them! ;)

5. Chip TRG

Chip TRG Senior Member

Goodnight, John-boy....you knucklehead! Knyuck Knyuck Knyuck!

I do agree, though......some of this digital time compression really goes overboard sometimes.

6. misssunshine

misssunshine New Member

I watched the Man from UNCLE on TNT several years ago and it was so time-compressed, Illya and Napoleon sounded like The Chipmunks.

McLover likes this.
  7. MLutthans

With THE WALTONS, the compression is done in such a way that the audio stays on pitch. Shut the sound off, and it's a hoot!

8. darkmatter

darkmatter Gort Astronomer Staff

For appreciators of this series, and I enjoyed it as a child when it was shown on UK tv, it seems that now these are best viewed on DVD

9. thegage

thegage Forum Currency Nerd

Maybe I don't watch enough classic TV, but I can't say i've ever noticed time compression. Now I'm going to have to go watch The Waltons. (I did like the series when it originally aired.)

John K.

10. JohnG

JohnG PROG now in Dolby ATMOS!

I'm adding an episode to my DVR so I can have a laugh.

11. JerolW

JerolW Senior Member

12. chacha

chacha Forum Resident In Memoriam

I've heard about this being done - awful.
    All I've noticed is the credit crawl is now a scamper in the corner of the screen

13. DreadPikathulhu

DreadPikathulhu Senior Member

The people responsible don't care. It's all about getting as much revenue as possible from commercials. I'd even be willing to bet that the majority of viewers don't even notice.

Reminds me of when I go visit my dad and he has his widescreen set configured to always fill the screen. It drives me up the wall, and he claims that he doesn't even notice that all of the circles have turned into ovals.

clhboa, MikaelaArsenault and Vidiot like this.
  14. Benno123

Benno123 Forum Resident

This WSJ story is now asking for a log in to read the article but before it was locked down I read it and it included a clip from Seinfeld, same episode, but from a local station or DVD and from a TBS broadcast. Within seconds the TBS broadcast was ahead of the other clip, and by the end of the clip it seemed to be that it was almost full minute ahead of the regular speed clip. If I can find that YouTube link I will post it here.

15. Benno123

Benno123 Forum Resident

OK, maybe not quite a minute ahead but this gives an idea of speeding up shows and so on.

MikaelaArsenault likes this.
  16. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

back in the 80's TBS ran the Munsters sped up...it wasn't funny nor enjoyable.

17. Dave Garrett

Dave Garrett Senior Member

In addition to speeding up the closing credits and relegating them to a small corner of the screen, I've heard that TBS has also been doing this with the opening credits of at least one show (Friends). Remember when TBS used to actually be a channel worth watching? Those days are long gone.

clhboa, MikaelaArsenault and Benno123 like this.
  18. E.Baba

E.Baba Forum Resident

The strange things that happen in Americaland never cease to amaze me. We get the wash here of course but it's diminished by the time it gets here. (I hope).

19. The Wanderer

The Wanderer Seeker of Truth

Just don't forget to pay your monthly cable bill...

20. DreadPikathulhu

DreadPikathulhu Senior Member

If you paste the URL into a google search window and click the link from there, you can still read the entire thing.

21. AndrewS

AndrewS Senior Member

Not with First Blood, but I did notice the same chipmunk effect with Little House on the Prairie when it was broadcast on one of our cable channels. I found it really distracting.

22. Benno123

Benno123 Forum Resident

Thanks, didn't realize that. I originally followed a link that Steve Cox had shared.

23. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

I guess when this becomes (even more of) a norm, people will no longer bitch about PAL speedups (which is about 4%). :)

goodiesguy likes this.
  24. neo123

neo123 Senior Member

LOL!

My dad does the same thing.

25. MLutthans

Flipping channels, I landed on "The Donna Reed Show" on MeTV just now, and wow, this ever speeded up! :thumbsdow

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.