Speed corrected Rega 2 vs Technics SL-1200 mk2 comparison

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by John76, Oct 11, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lv70smusic

lv70smusic Senior Member

Darn it. I keep missing these posts until after the poll is closed.

At any rate, I found that I again preferred the Rega.

I'm glad you've posted these various sound clips for comparison. Basically I've never had any turntable that's been better than the Technics, and these sound clips have reminded me of why I switched over to digital so many years ago. I don't really like the sound of the Technics. The Rega seems like an obvious improvement, notwithstanding its speed issues. What I hear (through a less than ideal setup that is nonetheless capable of revealing differences between these clips) is that the Rega is simply more musical. Contrary to some others' observations, I'd say that the Rega has more detail -- it's just that that detail is not in the upper frequency range. For example, when comparing B Sky C I get a sense of the singer's body when I hear his breaths on the Rega clip; on the Technics, I just hear the breaths with no body to them. The same thing happens with Karen Carpenter's voice: It seems to be coming from a body on the Rega; on the Technics it sounds more thin and less human.

On the modest set up I'm using to compare these clips, these differences are significant but they are relatively subtle. I assume they would be more pronounced if I actually had each table in my home listening to them through my main rig.

So, again, thanks for preparing the various demo clips. I've been thinking for a while that I'd like to eventually get a turntable worthy of the rest of my system, but given my history with never really loving my Technics I've sometimes wondered whether people raving about vinyl weren't just exaggerating. At least now I know that I could get vinyl playback better than I've heard it before without spending astronomical bucks, though the speed issue with Rega definitely makes me think I'd need to explore other options.

2. Trashman

Trashman Forum Resident

I would also be curious to see if the votes would change based on what cartridges were utilized. I have to believe that some cartridges would work better in one table than another (and vica versa).

Has the cartridge used in this comparison test ever been identified?

3. John76

John76 Forum Resident Thread Starter

I used a fairly new Linn Klyde moving coil cartridge that I had on hand that I usually use on my LP12/Ekos. Most folks would never probably use a $1,320 cartridge on either deck but that is what I had on hand. The dimensions and weight (8g) of the cartridge seem just fine for either deck. I did a test a few months back with a Rega Elys that yielded similar results.

I also think the Linn Klyde also looks pretty cool on either turntable. :)

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 24, 2014
  4. The FRiNgE

The FRiNgE Forum Resident

The Klyde looks at home on the Rega. Do you hear any differences?

5. John76

John76 Forum Resident Thread Starter

Between the Technics and Rega? Yes, I'm kind of in line with those folks who prefer the Rega.

6. Keep in mind the Rega here is a 35/40 year old belt drive turntable. I have a newer Rega and it's speed is rock solid and consistent. I have tested it with various Android and Apple apps and it's dead on at 33.4 rpm. I also tested my beloved vintage Thorens belt drive and it runs fast: 33.8 rpm. The vintage Thorens is about the same age as this vintage Planar 2.

7. vinylkid58

vinylkid58 Forum Resident

Maybe 30. The RB series arms weren't introduced until 1983, and the early Planar 2 had rosewood trim. I bought one in the late 70's that had a Grace 707 arm on it.

jeff

8. TVC15

TVC15 Forum Resident

But different carts? And you'll need to speed correct!

9. dogpile

dogpile Generation X record spinner.

I picked 9 & 11

10. russk

russk Forum Resident

With the new Regas you don't have to speed correct. All the ones I've heard are accurate and stable. You just get more detail and better soundstage. Now if Rega can only do something about there quality control.

11. motownboy

motownboy Senior Member

I picked 10 & 11 as my choices...which turned out to be the Technics. It had a firmer, tighter more solid bass and better defined transients while the Rega had a wider sound stage and seemed slightly cleaner sounding. The more confident presentaton of the Technics sounded more "live" to me. BTW, I could tell the Rega was still slightly faster than the Technics.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2015
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.