Speed issues..HELP!!

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Ddcass, Oct 21, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ddcass

Ddcass Member Thread Starter

I have a technics Slb260 belt driven pmount turntable, I believe it's a lower model late 80s or early 90s table. It's giving me crazy speed issues it will fluctuate between tracks and even more between albums. I've tried multiple size belt replacements, cleaned out the speed control pots but it didn't improve. I'm about to just by a u-turn orbit but is there anything else I could try until I get one? Is there anything else that needs to be cleaned out or lubricated that would help? If not what is actually happening, is the motor just shot? Thanks

2. Could be components in the motor power control system that are on the way out, or the motor itself needs replacing.

McLover and patient_ot like this.
  3. Ddcass

Ddcass Member Thread Starter

Thanks, in that case I'll be getting a new tt for shure.

4. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

That is not one of Technics' better models.

In any case, this is not a repair-oriented forum. You're better off posting this question on Vinyl Engine and AudioKarma.

Contrary to what the internet says, not everything can be fixed with spraying Deoxit.

Odds are components on the board need to be checked.

SeeDeeFirth likes this.
  5. vinylontubes

vinylontubes Forum Resident

That being said, I would go as far as using Deoxit. And only because I have a can of the stuff. I would not spend additional money on this. The item is 40 years old, and lower tier. My father had one of these. It worked when we sold it as part of his estate. I put a new stylus on it for the sale. The OP has already spent money on numerous belts. Time to realize you're nearing the end of the road and going further down the road only means that it's more than likely that you're just putting off the return to where you started.

6. McLover

McLover Senior Member

Yes, this answer is right on the money. And usually it begins with electrolytic capacitors failing, then if it's ran very long, takes out the servo IC and motor itself. A big reason why I prefer Technics DD to their belt drive models, on belt drives I prefer AC motors.

SeeDeeFirth and patient_ot like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.