Spendor A1's ... anybody heard or own? ...

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by bhazen, Jul 14, 2019.

1. bhazen

bhazen GOO GOO GOO JOOB Thread Starter

Again, the title essentially asks the question.

There's very little out there on the WWW about these nifty-looking little Son Of LS3/5A speakers. But there's a few here whom I bet would be natural buyers of these. I believe they're the "entry" small speaker in Spendors' lineup (there's also the D1 and Classic 3/5, I think.) A plus is they go for well under $2k here in the U.S. -- Something that people who feel priced out of Graham, Harbeth etc. should appreciate. Please contribute a paragraph or three if your answer to the titular inquiry is yes!

Last edited: Jul 14, 2019
    bruce2 likes this.
  2. bhazen

3. bruce2

bruce2 Forum Resident

I want to know too. I have been interested in these for some time and still am thinking about getting them. I believe they are identical to the Classic 3/5 other than minor cosmetics. I e-mailed both the distributor and Spendor about my desire to purchase the Classic 3/5 as I prefer its traditional grille to the A1 tweeter-only metal grille, but was told by both that the Classic is not available in the U.S., only the A1.

bhazen likes this.
  4. Helom

Helom Forum member

I bet they are nearly identical in sound. From what I've heard of the new A Series, it's very similar to the Classic sound, but a little more punchy/dynamic.

I think one of you should get a pair then post a review here.

Bananas&blow, macster and bhazen like this.
  5. bhazen

Yeah, makes sense ... same dimensions, very similar drivers to the 3/5 from 6 or 7 years ago that I heard. I auditioned that speaker the same afternoon as the Harbeth P3ESR. Bought the P3ESR's (seemed more 'accurate'), but Boy Howdy was it close. I'm betting the A1 sounds rather similar to the 3/5R or whatever it was -- slightly rolled-off highs, wonderful mids, AMAZING bass for the size (just like the P3). They work up against the wall, too, with their 'infinite baffle'.

Other people's money, eh. :D

Last edited: Jul 15, 2019
    Echoes Myron, Bananas&blow and Helom like this.
  6. bhazen

[Nigel Godrich-remixed bump]

Last edited: Jul 16, 2019
  7. bhazen

["Knives Out" bump]

ThorensSme likes this.
  8. Agitater

Agitater Forum Resident

To me the A1 sounds like a different type of speaker than the classic LS3/5A design, so outer looks can be deceiving. I spent a month or so with a pair of A1 speakers in 2010. They were great. I preferred them over the ProAc Tablette version at the time, I liked them just as much as the Harbeth P3ES-2 I had at the time, but they didn't rise to the standard of my Rogers LS3/5A at the time. If I had to compare them now, from memory, to the KEF LS50 I'd have to say that the Spendor A1 is more refined and more accurate.

The A1 is never on my radar when auditioning any contemporary LS3/5A speakers because the A1 isn't carried by very many dealers. All the dealers I personally run into carry the A-series floorstanders only.

Echoes Myron and bhazen like this.
  9. bhazen

I think that's the direction the Spendor distribution people want to go, too (selling floorstanders.) My local has a demo pair -- I may try and get a deal on those if they don't shift many A1's (they've got a handful of other Brit monitors that size and driver configuration, including P3ESR's.)

mant1ana likes this.
  10. Helom

Helom Forum member

I see you have the Chartwell LS6s. Curious, why the interest in the A1s?

bhazen likes this.
  11. bhazen

There's really shouldn't be any, right? ... The LS6's are great ... I can probably "see deeper" into recordings with those than with any other speakers I've had. But there is a bit of bass overhang on a few recordings, probably due to my room being too small (if I place them far enough out to accommodate the rear ports, they're practically in my lap at the listening spot.) So, I'm still interested in LS3/5A-sized, acoustic-suspension designs. Better for my room, on certain material.

Plus, I just love how the A1's look. :)

SteveKr and Helom like this.
  12. Helom

Helom Forum member

Interesting, I just noticed that your LS6s appear to have the same or a very similar Seas midwoofer as my Stirling SB-88s. I suppose that's the Derek Hughes influence.

Have you tried any front-ported designs from the BBC lineage?

SandAndGlass and bhazen like this.
  13. bhazen

Had Harbeth C7ES3's for awhile, some years back. In my room, the bass was a bit too 'ample'.

The woofers in the LS6 are only 5" or 6" (depending how you measure), whereas your Stirlings show as 8".

Last edited: Jul 17, 2019
  14. Helom

Helom Forum member

Oh, I was thinking the LS6s are Graham's equivalent of M30.1s.

bhazen likes this.
  15. bhazen

Yeah, physically I think that's right. And they're priced about half what M30.2's are going for! (I've never heard M30.2's, so can't comment on relative value. But I think LS6's are fantastic for $3,400/pr.)

Helom likes this.
  16. bhazen

A fairly tentative bump

ThorensSme and bruce2 like this.
  17. bruce2

bruce2 Forum Resident

Have you read the few online reviews of the A1? They seem to be quite positive, and say that the bass and sound they put out is quite impressive for their size. Wish I could audition a pair!

bhazen likes this.
  18. layman

layman Forum Resident

jhenry, bhazen and Art K like this.
  19. Art K

Art K Retired but not tired!

A good read. Exactly what I have come to expect from Mr Dudley.

bhazen likes this.
  20. bhazen

I have, yes. And have heard them (both awesome speakers.) But the A1 is significantly more affordable ... :)

Last edited: Jul 19, 2019
  21. avanti1960

avanti1960 Forum Resident

I read a few reviews of the A1 and the A7. Each seem to have the newer Spendor sound which is also represented in my D7 speakers.
    What you can expect is a very neutral presentation that is stop-on-a-dime dynamic and lively. Not over the top but rather fast and nimble, microdynamics and pace that sound "live". You will not have any "Brit Mon" cabinet effect warmth. Not to say they won't sound warm but it has to be part of the recording, which it frequently is. Also expect a longer than average break-in time with these drivers. I can say that my D7s are spirited and I really like them but often wish for the warmer Harbeth sound as well. The downside with the Harbeth sound is that they are not lively and dynamic, and can sound dull and plodding, which is why I bought the Spendors in the first place.
    If a neutral, transparent dynamic lively monitor (without being surgial as in ATC) checks the boxes for you I am sure you will like them. The Spendor A and D line are very well made, high quality speakers.

22. bruce2

bruce2 Forum Resident

Well, after years of thinking about it (I almost bought S3/5R2 when they were current), I just ordered a pair of Spendor A1! Ordered from Gene Rubin who answered all my questions and was great to deal with. He says I should have them by the end of next week. I will be putting these Spendors in place of a trusty 8 year old pair of Ascend Acoustics Sierra-1, driven by Creek Evolution 55 watt amp. The Ascends have served me well and sound good, but I am looking for a more detailed and lively sound. Also I have always thought that the rear ported Sierras were too big for my small room, and that small sealed speakers would be a better fit. I understand I will be losing some bass, but hopefully the A1s will do enough in this area to make a well balanced sound. When I receive the Spendor A1s and hook them up I will report back what I think of them, and how they compare to the Ascend Acoustics Sierra-1.

Echoes Myron, defmoot, Helom and 3 others like this.
  23. Art K

Art K Retired but not tired!

Gene is a great dealer. I bought my amp, turntable and speakers from him. Many other purchases as well. Wishing you many years of listening enjoyment!

bhazen likes this.
  24. bruce2

bruce2 Forum Resident

Thanks Art! I agree Gene was very helpful and easy to deal with, I think I will buy from him again in the future as well. I am already eyeballing the Belles Aria integrated amp on his website!

bhazen likes this.
  25. bruce2

bruce2 Forum Resident

I received my A1s I ordered from Gene Rubin this morning, and was able to listen to them for a couple of hours before work (2nd shift). Overall I am very pleased so far, although they are not broken in yet and I havent pushed them too hard. I listened to a variety of rock, Cream, Toto, Van Halen, and the new Peter Frampton album, as well as a Bach Harpsichord Concerto and Brahms 'Haydn Variations' for orchestra. My initial impressions are of a very detailed and accurate midrange and treble, and very tight and accurate bass. Although bass is not as deep or loud as with my Ascend Sierra-1s, I thought it sounded more accurate with bass guitar lines easier to follow. Midrange, as is to be expected from this design, is incredible. Individual instruments are much easier to follow than with my Sierras, and sound more realistic. I am noticing little keyboard and percussion parts in Van Halen and Toto that I have never heard before, and I am very familiar with the material. I noticed during the guitar solo on Totos 'I Won't Hold You Back' the strings and horns in the background were much easier to hear and sounded more like real, well recorded instruments. I can't wait to do more listening!

ls35a, Echoes Myron, timind and 6 others like this.