Spendor Classic 1/2 experiences?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Lebowski, Dec 29, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lebowski

Lebowski Hey, careful man, there's a beverage here! Thread Starter

Has anybody heard the Spendor Classic 1/2?
    I’m kind of intrigued by them, although they are likely beyond my means.

Can’t find too many reviews online, in English anyways.

If you have heard them, what was being used for amplification? Have you compared them with anything else?

2. Lebowski

Part of the reason I ask is that I am currently listening to a pair of Spendor SP3/1R2 on loan from a fellow forum member. They are quite nice but I think too small for my room.

3. ChrisR2060

ChrisR2060 Stereo addict

I too am intrigued by the classic 1/2, but there's also the new Wharfedale Elysian 2 shipping now, priced lower than the Spendors.
    One of these two will make a perfect linton replacement when I get richer.

4. puroagave

puroagave Forum Resident

I've owned SP 1/2s, ask away...in fact, i've owned many of the classic series going back to the '70s (BC3, SP 2/3, SP3/1, LS3/5a, S100 and SP100!)

5. Lebowski

Interestingly I notice that you’re currently running the Cornwall IV. I’m demoing those now too and have not been terribly impressed. I liked them more at the showroom but not so much at home.

How did you get from decades of Spendor ownership to the C4?

Echoes Myron likes this.
  6. Helom

Helom Forum member

You might make a call to Spendor's U.S. distributor, Bluebird Music. I think I read somewhere that the new Classic 1/2 is the speaker that motivated them to continue importing the Classic line.

The new 1/2 is closer in design to the SP100 than it is the previous 1/2R2, in that it is now deeper than wider and has a driver arrangement similar to the 100.

The older SP100 is a reference, end-game quality loudspeaker, really only limited by one's room and partnering gear. The pair I've heard disappeared completely, leaving nothing but a massive, deep soundstage. Tonal accuracy was among the best my ears have encountered. Considering all that, I'd surmise the new Classic 1/2 is special.

Keep in mind that getting the best from this line requires the appropriate Sound Anchor stands which aren't exactly cheap (though a bargain compared to Ton Trager and the like).

A nice "feature" of the current Spendors is you can swap out their soft-domes for the Seas AlMg metal-dome version. I did this to my 2/3R2s and am enjoying the results.

If the Classic 1/2 is beyond your means, consider the Stirling LS3/6 which are selling for bargain prices at the moment (saw one BNIB pair listed on Audiogon for $3999 a couple months ago). The Stirlings have slightly better parts quality in their crossovers and birch-ply cabs. It's a shame the brand didn't take off in the U.S. market because they really are one of the top values in the BBC-inspired segment.

7. Dominator

Dominator Forum Resident

There are a pair of Stirling LS3/6s at Music Direct marked down to $4200. I bought a pair 10 months ago for $4500 and considered that a good deal. The Spendor 1/2 Classics were on my radar but I thought the Stirlings were a similar and I have not been disappointed.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  8. Whooptee

Whooptee Well-Known Member

I have a pair of Spendor SP 1/2e speakers. I know these aren't the same as the Classic 1/2, but there are similarities. They just constantly amaze me and are a real pleasure to listen to with all sorts of music.

I contacted Spendor after I bought these and found out that they still stock replacements for the original drivers and also that the newer EP77 are available as drop in replacements. I initially thought I'd go the latter route, but have not found any compelling reason to do so, as I'm as happy as I can be with them as is.

SandAndGlass and Lebowski like this.
  9. Helom

Helom Forum member

The 8" EP77 baskets have a different bolt pattern, 6 vs 8 in the old drivers, so unless they'll make a custom driver, it's not a drop-in replacement.

bruce2 likes this.
  10. puroagave

puroagave Forum Resident

The Cornwalls are a diversion, one I've been looking forward to for while (horns in general). I've been a fan of British monitors for eons, and always have a pair, or two. I keep different pairs of speakers around for when I get the itch to change up the system. I liked the SP 1/2s but wouldn't buy them again unless they fell into my lap real cheap, the current new list prices are outta whack, IMHO. Another poster said that SP100s were "end game" I dislike that term as it infers its all one will ever want or need. Discovery is for me, a big part of the journey. While I think the SP100 are special in certain ways they're also colored in the bass and lack air or that last bit of treble extension, ultimately I became bored with them. My CW IV will at some point go on to new owner, I can't say when.

Echoes Myron and SandAndGlass like this.
  11. Whooptee

Whooptee Well-Known Member

You're right. I was thinking that the EP77 extended back to the SP1/2R2, but looking into it just now, found I was wrong. Those use EP38 and the drop in replacement is that driver. Thanks for the info!

Helom likes this.
  12. layman

layman Forum Resident

I know it's hard to judge sound base on a YouTube vid:

This vid however does whet my appetite to hear these live. See if you have a dealer in your area or check for a show that's using them (as I see Spendors being demoed a lot at shows).

ChrisR2060 likes this.
  13. ChrisR2060

ChrisR2060 Stereo addict

That makes me want to have them sooner than later...

14. Lebowski

Thanks much, but yeah, it always cracks me up when people post these vids. All you're really hearing is your computer's speakers. :cheers:

My dealer actually does sell them but I would have to buy them elsewhere, probably used, so I don't want to demo them there and buy elsewhere. They have enough time invested in me already!

SandAndGlass likes this.
  15. avanti1960

avanti1960 Forum Resident

a good set of ear / head phones listening to a well recorder video will give you decent insight into how they sound.

16. Lebowski

I respectfully disagree. I would say that maybe if something was recorded with pro audio gear by an experienced user you might get some sense of relative performance, but the fact is most people who do this are using cell phones or camcorders. Then probably compressing it through iMovie or something. Then uploading to YouTube where it gets additional processing. And I still think it’s only ever going to really sound like the amplification system you’re using and speakers/headphones you’re listening on. How can it not?

Anyhow, I don’t want to derail my own thread...

17. action pact

action pact Music Omnivore

I wanted to make sure this important tidbit wasn't lost in the shuffle.

I don't have Sound Anchors (yet), but I am using some 4-column metal stands filled with sand (weighing maybe 40 lbs each), and that solid foundation absolutely makes a substantial difference regarding focus, imaging vividness, and bass definition/texture.

I'm actively keeping an eye out for a used pair of Sound Anchors with the appropriate dimensions for my SP3/1R2's.

SandAndGlass, Lebowski and Helom like this.
  18. Helom

Helom Forum member

I think the guy who made the video in question uses decent recording gear. Of the speakers he's recorded that I have experience with, I can well recognize their sonic characters through his vids. The video posted above exhibits the classic Spendor sound quite well IMO.

He has also made videos of the LS3/6. If you listen to them, you may notice the 3/6 is a little brighter/leaner sounding than some others he's recorded in the same room with the same gear. The Stirling sound is indeed a bit leaner than Spendor, not necessarily in a bad way.

Also, look up his vids of the C7ES3 and SP2/3R2. If you hear them as I do, you'll notice the C7s have a brighter tone. That was also what I experienced with these two models in my system.

layman and avanti1960 like this.
  19. avanti1960

avanti1960 Forum Resident

nice suggestion. hifi mania is off the charts serious about high end audio. also makes me want to ditch my new solid state power amp and go all tubes again, that leben sounds nice as does the spendor in the first video.
    the harb c7s didn't sound bright to me as they did upper midrange forward but yet very transparent. with my old rogue tube amp they did not sound this way,

The KEF LS50s (which sound true to form on my very good iphone ear buds) and the focal scala utopia had too much brightness on the top- very unnatural "air". Also listen to the dali speakers with the super tweeter- such a hashy air, almost like static that they try to offset with a pronounced low end.
    i really like the sound of the classic 1/2, very similar to my harb shl5+.
    great suggestion, i could spend all day listening to this guy's systems.

SandAndGlass and Helom like this.
  20. Lebowski

I was keeping an eye on a demo pair of Classic 1/2 when I started this thread. I figured if I wasted enough time someone else would buy them, but that didn't happen. They just kept sitting there calling to me. :cool: So after borrowing @action pact's pair of SP3/1R2 I decided to pull the trigger! Not exactly an apples-to-apples comparison but I liked those a lot, and like Spendors in general, so it seemed like an acceptable risk.

21. layman

layman Forum Resident

How are they so far?

22. Lebowski

Don't actually have them in my house yet...

23. layman

layman Forum Resident

Looking forward to your impressions.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  24. action pact

action pact Music Omnivore

I'm looking forward to hearing them at Chez @Lebowski !

Lebowski and layman like this.
  25. layman

layman Forum Resident

How did the audition go?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.