Spendor speakers

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by audio, May 25, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. audio

audio New Member Thread Starter

I'm thinking about checking out some Spendor speakers such as the new S8, but I'm also interested in older ones. Can anyone comment on Spendors? How would you describe the sound and their various qualities?

2. lsupro

lsupro King of Ignorers

Wsih I could help... sorry. I am interested in hearing about them though..

3. Cafe Jeff

Cafe Jeff New Member

Not too sensitive.
    Not awesomely accurate.
    But do they ever sound wonderful! Jeff
    (They almost have an English accent.)

4. GabeG

GabeG New Member

Beg to differ there Jeff :) .

<Warning. I've owned Spendors for over 10 years. I state this so you can judge my accuracy>

They are of average sensitivity, but they are extremely easy to drive thanks to a very benign impedence curve. They are among very few speakers whose impedence doesn't dip below 5-6 ohms. I've heard several that were driven by amps that only put out a few watts that sound fine dynamically.

They are very accurate, but they aren't overly analytical which are two different things. If you read some reviews by REG in the Absolute Sound, he has found these speakers are among the very few that don't benefit much from digital room correction. Compared to other speakers he's used, very little was done to their tonal balance when processed through various types of room correction.

5. Cafe Jeff

Cafe Jeff New Member

Hi Gabe,
    I am not sure we are really disagreeing. The Spendors do present a benign load. This I think makes them appear more sensitive than they really are. (And, truth be told, is probably more important for someone who wants to use the speakers with tubes as I believe Prix does.) On the Leak Stereo 20/BC1 setup I was listening to, they sounded sublime and I am still kicking myself for not keeping them. From how loud I could play them, these speakers seemed to be of average or below sensitivity. I use Tannoy horns, so I am biased. I also tried a pair of the new LS3s, which I believe are about 85dB/m, which I regard as really rather below average. These also, on a 40 watts per side (with the wind blowing behind it) EL34 amp, sounded very, very good too.
    See here:
    http://www.spendoraudio.com/exp1024.htm
    As to accuracy, I will stand aside. They just had that sort of BBC LS3/5A sound to them, which I associate with a bit of a mid range hump, and artful (and delightful) voicing.
    Spendors are the sort of speakers that I would recommend without reservation.
    Jeff

6. Metralla

Metralla Joined Jan 13, 2002

I have read that on several Spendor reports. Despite the benign load, I think you would be wise not to underpower these speakers.

I heard Spendors on many occasions in the '80s and always liked them. I have not heard the latest incarnations but they get some terrific reviews. A little expensive here in the USA though - as UK imports tend to be.

Regards,
    Geoff

7. ron p

ron p Forum Resident

I've had Spendor S100's for years, they are great speakers. Spendor's just make you want to play music hour after hour.

Ron

8. ze-ant

ze-ant Forum Resident

I have a pair of early Spendor BC1 loudspeakers which are powered either by a Sun Audio SV-2A3 (3.5 watts per channel) or a pair of Leak 12.1 monoblocks (12 watts per channel).

The BC1s are capable of being adequately driven by the 2A3 but some distortion does occur at higher than normal listening levels. The 12.1s on the other hand drive them very well.

Although they cannot handle frequency extremes very well, the midrange is outstanding and IMHO they are most at home when playing vocals or small scale jazz/acoustic music.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.