Spendor website updated, lots of new models

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by ls35a, Aug 22, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ls35a

ls35a Forum Resident Thread Starter

Spendor

There's a new 'A-Line' series. The 'classic' models have all been changed. The SP1/2 R2, for example, is now the 'classic 1/2'.

Very interesting stuff going on here. I wonder how the new classics sound?

[​IMG]

BayouTiger likes this.
  2. BayouTiger

BayouTiger Forum Resident

Have to check it out. "Spendor" and "New" don't seem to be words that have collided very often in the past. Not that that's necessarily a bad thing.

edit: Is there actually anything new except labelling?

SandAndGlass likes this.
  3. ls35a

Spendor now makes three speakers that are nearly IDENTICAL in size, the A1, the D1, and the Classic 3/5.

I'd love to hear a 3-way shootout between them.

bhazen and SandAndGlass like this.
  4. Helom

Helom Forum member

I noticed they also changed the specs, or at least, they're no longer using the anechoic figures.

5. bruce2

bruce2 Forum Resident

I am very interested in the new Classic 3/5. According to the website it seems to use a new driver, it is now listed as 150mm instead of the old 140. Also they say the woofer uses a new material. Also magnetic grilles now.

6. AudiophilePhil

AudiophilePhil Senior Member

They have a new floorstander called the D-9. $10k/pair

[​IMG]

Manimal and SandAndGlass like this.
  7. ls35a

I'm interested in the A1, Classic 3/5 and Classic 3/1.

The dollar is really strong these days. If Spendor doesn't recognize that and price this new stuff more realistically then it's all for nothing.

Proac is releasing the replacement for the 148 (a $3700 speaker, and a bargain at that price) for $3100. THEY GET IT.

8. Don Parkhurst

Don Parkhurst Forum Resident

The latest HiFi+ issue gives the D9 quite a glowing review. They were really onto something with the D7 and now have a speaker for bigger rooms.

This model is supposed to be their top model now from what I can tell and as such is meant to compete with the higher models out there, such as the Proac D48, Vienna Acoustics Liszt, Wilson Sabrina or the Sopra 2, as opposed to the Proac 148. (The D48 is priced between $10,900 and 12k, according to finish).

AudiophilePhil likes this.
  9. Helom

Helom Forum member

Their top model is the SP200 in their Classic line.

10. ls35a

I emailed the U.S. importer and asked for a price list. They said they didn't have one yet.

That's what we in the computer business would call a 'sequence error'. FIRST you figure out the prices, THEN you put the new models on the webpage.

SandAndGlass, bhazen and murphythecat like this.
  11. Joe Spivey

Joe Spivey Forum Resident

Unfortunately, I found out recently after inquiring about Spendor, the one dealer here is Chicago is completely worthless. Bummer because I've heard such good things about the speakers. :shrug:

12. Helom

Helom Forum member

Yes, their poor distribution and marketing strategy does the brand a disservice. Unfortunate, because IMO, their speakers are just as good, if not better than the Harbeth models that receive so much hype.

13. Don Parkhurst

Don Parkhurst Forum Resident

I agree. When I was auditioning speakers a few years ago, there was a specific Proac and two Spendors that stood out to me. I really liked the SP 1/2 and the SP 2/3, as well as the Proac D30. I ended up buying a used pair of Proac D40Rs, which were fantastic but they require a very large room, which is surprising as they are not huge speakers. If I was doing it over again with the system that I had back then I would be very tempted by the SP 1/2.

I do really like the Harbeth line, but the only models that I would want to have at home are the Monitor 30.1 and 40.1. Because Harbeths hold their value so much, that makes the Spendors even more of a great deal when buying used.

SandAndGlass and Helom like this.
  14. bruce2

bruce2 Forum Resident

I am considering trying to order a pair of the new Classic 3/5 without ever hearing a Spendor. My only fear is that I will miss the low bass if the speakers are lacking. The dealer I spoke to also sells Harbeth and told me he feels the P3esr is a much better speaker than the comparable Spendor, but something about the Spendor appeals to me, plus it is a few hundred dollars cheaper.

15. Helom

Helom Forum member

I was told something similar by one of the Harbeth dealers, but I much prefer Spendor. Call Acoustic Sounds and get their take. They give a less biased opinion IME.

4xoddic likes this.
  16. Manimal

Manimal Forum Resident

That’s a nice looking speaker. Looks the business, and I bet it doesn’t suck.

17. Balthazar

Balthazar Forum Resident

I own the P3ESR and really love them, but if something about the Spendor appeals to you, get it. You don't need any more reason than that. Trust your gut. I have a hard time believing either is "much better" than the other. It's a pretty mature design. It's all minor details and tweaks at this point, and it would surprise me if a group of people picked up off the street wouldn't be split 50/50 between them.

All that said, you'll miss low bass whether you get the Classic 3/5 or the P3ESR. Don't believe the hype. You're going to be missing out listening to some music on both speakers. Doesn't mean you won't still like them, but go into it with your eyes open. If you're a metal guy or only do big orchestra stuff, you're going to feel some loss of impact coming from your Ascends. If buying new, try and get a listen first.

bruce2 and Shiver like this.
  18. ls35a

There's a new 'A1' model that is the same size as the 3/5 but it has a bit more bass.

I've owned both at the same time and I think the P3ESR is a tad better than the 3/5. But the 3/5 is cheaper and sounds great. It's very good on symphonic music.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.