Spider-Man Homecoming 2017

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Veech, Apr 29, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 5th-beatle

5th-beatle Forum Resident

Just watched it. Excellent! Funny post-credits scene as well.

FVDnz and alexpop like this.
  2. Veltri

Veltri ♪♫♫♪♪♫♫♪

Very enjoyable film. I'll have to revisit Toby 1 & 2 to see if it was best.
    Authentic teenagers (I saw it with my teen kids).
    Tony was good in it.
    Well rounded criminal.
    Good pacing.
    Good suit.
    Good music.

3. Veltri

Veltri ♪♫♫♪♪♫♫♪

The last one didn't go over great in my theater. I think it took away from the film momentarily by leaving a bitter taste. Abject silence followed. It has nothing on Ferris Bueller.

musicfan37 likes this.
  4. rburly

rburly Sitting comfortably with Item 9

I saw it earlier today and really enjoyed it.

5. I took it as the song that May uses to teach him to dance later.

6. I didn't stick around for the final scene. What was it?

7. The Peter Parker character--couldn't stand when he became an ahole due to the influence of Venom.

8. Squealy

Squealy Forum Hall Of Fame

The only thing I remember about the movie is the scene that sank it, where jerky Peter is dancing... there was no coming back from that.

9. Mr. Grieves

Mr. Grieves Forum Resident

I thought it was meant to be a polar opposite to the Raindrops scene from Spider-Man 2(we can't forget that freeze frame shot :D)

10. Veltri

Veltri ♪♫♫♪♪♫♫♪

Cap'n America was giving another lesson, this one on patience and waiting.
    I spoke to a couple of other people since who saw the credits and they really enjoyed it, so YMMV.

BeatleJWOL likes this.
  11. Dr. Pepper

Dr. Pepper What, me worry?

I thought the scenes with Cap including the last one were some of the funniest parts of the movie.

12. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Anybody dislike it ?

13. The Hermit

The Hermit Wavin' that magick glowstick since 1976

I really don't get the hate for that scene, like really don't get it... it's not meant to be a serious scene, it's played for laughs in that Peter is under the influence of the symbiote, his ego has went supernova as a result of the bonding, and he's basically making a fool of himself... that's the point!!!

I laugh like a drain every time I watch it (the intended effect, I'm sure), typical Raimi gonzo humor, it ain't Shakepeare, y'know...

Stormrider77 and dkmonroe like this.
  14. Squealy

Squealy Forum Hall Of Fame

My recollection is I felt embarrassed for Tobey watching it. It was just a stupid idea.

Vidiot likes this.
  15. curbach

curbach Some guy on the internet

Thumbs up all around from my family. Very entertaining :righton:

5th-beatle likes this.
  16. Monosterio

Monosterio Forum Resident

I wouldn't say I disliked it, but I definitely didn't like it either. The movie didn't really get going for me until Peter went to prom (those who've seen it will know why) and even then my excitement didn't last till the end. Plus I went to see Spider-Man, not Spiron-Man -- if MCU characters appearing in each other's films is going to be a standard thing, that's going to be a turnoff for me.

I doubt I'll see the next installment.

alexpop likes this.
  17. Mr. Grieves

Mr. Grieves Forum Resident

I loved the film. Much better to the Amazing films. The scenes with Iron Man were great(glad it wasn't too much), but the ones with Happy we're even better. I like seeing other characters drop in from time to time, just like in the comics. Even though he suit is little too decked out imo, this film feels very Spider-Man to me, which makes me happy considering he's my all time favorite comic book hero.

It was also the funniest Marvel film to date imo, and the writing for it is a big part of that. The entire MCU, while mostly great, has found itself to be just a tad dull & a little too familiar. This one felt fresh, and I can't wait til the second one comes out.

Great acting all around, too, and the best villain in a Marvel film since Loki. I haven't been this excited by an MCU film since probably the Avengers.

FVDnz and 5th-beatle like this.
  18. Dr. Pepper

Dr. Pepper What, me worry?

It is in the top three solo hero first Marvel films to me.

In no particular order

Ironman 1
    Captain America First Avenger 1
    And Spiderman Homecoming

Now if I was to broaden it to all first super hero films for any studio then the top six would be:

Ironman 1
    ,Captain America First Avenger 1
    ,Spiderman Homecoming, Wonder Woman, Batman '89, and Superman '78!

Wow, three Marvel and Three DC!

Last edited: Jul 9, 2017
  19. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

20. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

A hit ?
    Well done !!!

21. FVDnz

FVDnz Forum Resident

He also funnily enough, wanted Ben Kingsley to play Vulture at that point too.

22. FVDnz

FVDnz Forum Resident

I rewatched SM2 over the weekend. While that film has some pros like Alfred Molina's Doc Ock, JK Simmons killing it as J. Jonah Jameson as always, Homecoming has become my favourite entry in Spider-Man cinematic history. While many may cling to nostalgia with the Raimi films, there were still many things in those films that bothered me so while Homecoming is with its flaws, that movie delivered in how I want to see the Webcrawler. I'm already excited for the next film and I expect we'll witness the return of Jameson as one character has already been revealed in Homecoming who's had ties to Jonah in comic lore.

23. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

I liked the film very much but didn't love it. I think the casting was generally good all around, but the movie was kind of disjointed and episodic. I almost feel like it was four or five half-hour TV shows strung together. I do think it captured the flavor of the 1960s and 1970s comic books very well, and while Peter Parker's awkwardness has been criticized by some moviegoers, this is actually in keeping with the comic. I'm still not crazy about Marisa Tomei as Aunt May, but that's me.

Like a lotta action movies, some of the pivotal plot points hinge on a lack of communications, which kind of irked me. If Spiderman had only been able to get Tony Stark on the phone, the last 20 minutes of the film would've been unnecessary (or a lot shorter). I think that was just an excuse to create a big conflict and a huge fight scene.

But I liked Tom Holland very much, I thought a lot of the effects were pretty good, and Michael Keaton did a good job at creating a villain who had some depth and a good reason for turning to crime. I also think it's notable that he wasn't entirely bad, and they've left the door open for a possible return. Several of the shots in the movie were direct visual copies of memorable Spiderman cover art, which I thought was a nice touch for die hard fans. Storywise, I really liked that they tied this movie into the entire Marvel universe and also showed there are consequences to things like an alien/superhero battle in the middle of NYC, and that it would take years to clean up the streets and rebuild buildings -- and a "Damage Control" division to fix the mess and collect any stray alien artifacts.

I did think some of the 3D CGI on Spiderman leaping around looked way too hokey and unnatural to me, but that's me. (This has been an ongoing problem with the show from movie #1: how often is the guy in the suit a stunt double or a CGI replica, and how often is it really the actor?) I liked the movie overall, but with some reservations.

24. Monosterio

Monosterio Forum Resident

I agree about it being "disjointed and episodic" -- and especially so seeing it immediately aftet Baby Driver, which was anything but.

Gardo likes this.
  25. The Hermit

The Hermit Wavin' that magick glowstick since 1976

Raimi broke his own rules by adding multiple villains in the threequel, and the film suffered as a result... I've always thought it would have been better if both Harry Osborn and The Lizard were the two villains for that film; both have a personal relationship with Peter Parker and would have made it interesting... poor Dylan Baker was teased for two films with the (apparent) promise of getting a villain role in a future film, but never did. Venom simply didn't work (and looked frankly ridiculous with the sharp teeth), whilst Flint Marko/Sandman had very limited scope for development as a character (and the less said about the Uncle Ben retcon the better!), so maybe Raimi's choice of villains hurt the film more than anything.

But here's the thing; Raimi seemingly didn't learn the lesson from SM3 because he was planning on adding another trio of villains - Vulture, Lizard, and Black Cat - for the proposed fourth film that he eventually backed out of...

Last edited: Jul 10, 2017
    dkmonroe and FVDnz like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.