Spider-Man Homecoming 2017

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Veech, Apr 29, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

I was on the verge of getting hired for the Raimi Spiderman 4 project, but I was told it was cancelled because a) the budget went north of $250M, b) Raimi didn't want to release it in 3D, and c) there were some creative disagreements about the script. I was very pissed-off, because it would've been 6 months of solid work. And Raimi actually is a pretty good director (and I'm told is a good guy).

The Hermit likes this.
  2. FVDnz

FVDnz Forum Resident

Oh, don't get me started on the Uncle Ben retcon, WTFlying?!

Going back to Homecoming, I'd love to see the Original Sinister Six take on Spider-Man, but I think they're going to go with villains already established in the MCU so far. I'd love to see Kraven and Mysterio take on Holland's Spider-Man, and not this rumoured Sony movie with the aforementioned. I do think these Sony produced Spidey Universe films should get creative control from Feige etc. That way, everybody wins. After the success Homecoming is receiving so far, Sony oughta reconsider talking with Marvel Studios regarding these planned pictures - Venom, Silver (Sable) & Black (Cat).

3. FVDnz

FVDnz Forum Resident

Now I love that they made an attempt to name each of the kids in the Decathlon Team, all of whom have been featured in the comics. I saw Sally in the credits, as if she's meant to be Sally Avril. Either way, this is awesome! How about Rand Robertson in the next film if we get J. Jonah Jameson and the Daily Bugle in the future. Also would lead to Ned and Betty eventually working there too. :)

[SPOILERS] Everybody Is Somebody In 'Spider-Man: Homecoming'

4. ampmods

ampmods Forum Resident

Great movie! Wildly entertaining. I loved that Peter Parker's youthful enthusiasm. Like a crazed puppy! And the twist totally surprised me (referring to the car ride). I read that the movie at times was kind of more John Hughes than a super hero movie... and I think that's kind of true. But it also was kind of like a sitcom on Disney Channel or Nickelodeon which I think is a perfect entry point for younger kids.

Really cool movie. And the final end of credits scene had me laughing.

5th-beatle likes this.
  5. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

6. dkmonroe

dkmonroe A completely self-taught idiot

I agree, in context I actually thought the scene made a certain sense, really. And what really sells it to me is that half the time, passerby look at Peter Parker the same way we do - rolling their eyes at his ridiculous antics. And would it not make logical sense that having an alien being take over your body just might make you look like a complete idiot, if it didn't incapacitate you outright? There's probably actual medical analogies.

Well, once you've done the three-villain-opera, it'd be hard to step back to one or two. That's the problem with these "blockbuster" movies - they've always got to be bigger, and Bigger, and BIGGER each time.

7. Gardo

Gardo Audio Epistemologist

Pretty much my response as well. Lots of sequences but not much in the way of compelling storytelling. Six credited screenwriters--the Guild limit, iirc--and the results often felt to me like committee work.

8. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

I'll bet you a million-million dollars there was another dozen writers involved in various drafts over the last couple of years, including gag writers and story editors. They truly do "writing by committee" with a lot of projects these days, though it's rare you see six of them credited. Twelve producers, too.

9. davenav

davenav High Plains Grifter

I loved every second, and didn't find any continuity problems. Also, I have zero problems with there being 6 writers, if the results are as captivating as in Homecoming.

The high school stuff was Lee and Ditko's wheelhouse, and it was all updated in such a respectful way. I loved those scenes as much as the thrill-ride scenes, of which there were many, each unique and completely satisfying.

Michael Keaton was as memorable an adversary as you could hope for, and Tom Holland, bless him, was aces throughout!

Taxman, eddiel, Vidiot and 1 other person like this.
  10. Diorama

Diorama Forum Resident

I thought it was good, nothing amazing. Holland was great, Keaton was great., the fat Asian kid was great. Michelle was such an annoying character.

You can tell it was written by people whom don't have a clue about Marvel comics( older ones, not the new junk) or maybe a deep love for it. I could be wrong, if so then they are just weak writers.

11. HiredGoon

HiredGoon Forum Resident

Not a bad moofie, a combination of 80s teen nerd flick and Agents Of S.H.I.E.L.D, with plenty of lulz. Took me a while to recognize Mike Milligan without the hair.

--Geoff

12. Time Is On My Side

Time Is On My Side Forum Resident

How many reboots are they going to have? It's getting to be like the Batman reboots.

13. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

looks like third time's a charm.....

14. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Not bad.
    Was expecting better, but this was surely geared for pre teens.

Michael Keaton is criminally underused. He should get his own Marvel comic character, but not the Vulture.

15. The Hud

The Hud Breath of the Kingdom, Tears of the Wild

He is being typecast as any kind of Bird Man they can come up with. :)

alexpop likes this.
  16. alexpop

Bats true. :laugh:

The Hud likes this.
  17. davenav

It's not a reboot. They figured everyone knew the origin. But, with a new star comes a new dynamic, new friends, and updated gear.

You can call that a reboot if it makes you feel better. But, you'd feel a lot better by simply seeing the film, which is a real crowd-pleaser.

Taxman likes this.
  18. davenav

Wrong, as usual.

19. alexpop

crowd pleaser"?
    Doing well at the box office?

20. davenav

Yes?

21. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

I saw it last night and loved it. One of the best Spider Man films IMO. This morning I was saying to my work colleague that it's my favourite but I decided to not say that anymore until I watch Toby Maguire in Spider Man 1 and 2 again :)

Michael Keaton was great in it, though I wouldn't have minded seeing more of him. I've always licked him as an actor.

The only downside was that I could only make the 3D Imax screening which didn't add much to the experience. If anything it took away from it. I wish they would stop with the 3D already unless the 3D really adds to the experience.

22. HiredGoon

HiredGoon Forum Resident

I'm sure he appreciates it. As an actor :p

--Geoff

eddiel and davenav like this.
  23. davenav

He takes a licking, but keeps on kicking!!

eddiel likes this.
  24. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

Nice one. I had to laugh at that. Darn editing time limits...now it's set for all eternity. :)

25. alexpop

Seen it 2D, visually didn't look right.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.