Spiderman 3 Editor's Cut

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by The Hud, Jul 20, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Hud

The Hud Breath of the Kingdom, Tears of the Wild Thread Starter

This was released on the new Spiderman Trilogy box set. I was wondering if anyone has watched this yet, and how different is it compared to the theatrical version?

I already have the original 3 Spiderman movies on Blu-ray, but if the Editor's Cut of 3 is worth owning, I wouldn't mind buying them again to get it.

2. Splungeworthy

Splungeworthy Forum Rezidentura

If it means they cut this scene out then I'm in.

Vidiot and The Hud like this.
  3. The Hud

It is a dumb scene, but I still enjoy it for some reason.

Encuentro likes this.
  4. Encuentro

Encuentro Forum Resident

So do I. I never understood the hate for that scene or the movie. I got kick out of that scene and enjoyed the movie.

I wasn't even aware that there was an Editor's Cut.

GregM and alexpop like this.
  5. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

New Spider Man film is rubbish compared with Toby/3.

GregM likes this.
  6. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

When I saw that scene, I went into shock -- one of the worst scenes in a superhero movie ever. (OK, except maybe for Catwoman, but that would be the whole movie.) I've worked on movies that starred Toby McGuire before, and he's not a nice person. I think he's good in some roles, but I thought he was miscast as Spiderman. I like Sam Raimi as a director, and I think whatever was good in those films was because of Raimi more than it was the actors.

There's often a half-dozen different edits for feature films. The union (local 700) dictate that the editor get one crack at it, and I believe the DGA allows the director to supervise as many different edited versions as are necessary. And then sometimes the head producer steps in and orders a different version, and then the studio may ask for changes based on that. Then they fight it out in the weeks leading up to release.

I was told by a good buddy of mine at WB that there were more than 12 edited versions of Catwoman (speaking of that film) less than 2 weeks before the movie was to be in theaters... and they all sucked. They picked one, the movie failed, and as far as I know the director never worked again and the whole franchise sank.

alexpop and Encuentro like this.
  7. alexpop

Scene fine.

Encuentro likes this.
  8. The Hermit

The Hermit Wavin' that magick glowstick since 1976

That film doesn't need an 'editor's cut', it needs Sam Raimi to go back and give it a comprehensive new director's cut... a lot of really good material was excised, probably to get the film to a studio-mandated running time (I get the impression that Raimi's preferred cut would have been longer), and I think it just might be a film that warrants an extended version, whatever else it's flaws.

Of course, if Sony/Marvel had trusted Raimi's original vision with the Sandman and Vulture as the villains, and given him final cut, it wouldn't need a new belated version...

9. Rocker

Rocker Senior Member

This is the first I've heard of any sort of "alternate cut" for Spider-Man 3... considering what a mess the theatrical version was, I'd be somewhat curious to see if a different cut of the film made any improvements.

10. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

:-popcorn:

11. alexpop

Really ? :sweating:

12. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

13. tommy-thewho

tommy-thewho Senior Member

We need an extended cut. Like the BVS.

The Hud likes this.
  14. GregM

GregM The expanding man

alexpop likes this.
  15. alexpop

I've got the Spidey 3 funky street dance Dvd, didn't realise it was rare.

16. supermd

supermd Senior Member

Wow, I forgot about this scene. Yikes.

17. The Hud

I picked up the Spiderman Legacy Collection Steelbook at Best Buy today. It is on sale for $40, which isn't too bad. When I get a chance to watch the Spiderman 3 Editor's Cut, I will post my opinion on it here.

18. daglesj

daglesj Forum Resident

Only the bits with Sandman were of any interest.

19. Ringmaster_D

Ringmaster_D Surfer of Sound Waves

Yikes! I never did watch Spider-Man 3 based on the reviews and that clip reaffirms my good decision. I think the new Spidey movie finally got it right.

Vidiot likes this.
  20. The Hud

I watched the Editor's Cut last night, and I couldn't tell the difference between the theatrical cut. :shrug:

I have only seen the theatrical cut twice, but the differences must be very subtle.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.