Spin Clean cloths

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Johan Bos, Jul 15, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Johan Bos

Johan Bos Forum Resident Thread Starter

Hi,

I just washed my Spin Clean cloths for the second time. This time I only rinsed it in the washing machine - no detergent added, only water. I air dried the cloths outside.

It seems the cloths feel less soft / smooth. Maybe this is due to the pH of the water? Water harness in my area should be 6.5 °dH so thats on the soft side if I'm correct.

I'm just wondering if it is still safe to dry my records with these cloths as they feel less soft and how to get the cloths softer? It seems that drying the cloths straight in the hot sun is not good. Better slowly dry them.

I just tried one new record and the shiny surface near the record label looks still shiny after drying.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2018
  2. action pact

action pact Music Omnivore

Use those to wipe your kitchen counters and go buy a pack of microfiber cloths instead. :agree:

I'd be surprised if the detergent used to wash them can contaminate or damage your records.

Arvid Audio, fluffskul and marcb like this.
  3. Jasonb

Jasonb Forum Resident

Mine feel less soft than new but I'm still using them. As above I also bought some good small microfiber cloths too.

4. Matt I

Matt I Forum Resident

Dry them in the dryer? I hate air dried towels because they always seem so rough against my skin.

5. johnny q

johnny q Forum Resident

To the OP - are these the new SC clothes or the original, thinner ones that shed all over the place?

Either way - I have washed both types numerous times and they are safe to use. The new SC clothes are much better and I would suggest replacing the universally hated old ones with those. They don't shed on the LP's surface and are much thicker.

6. MARTHY

MARTHY Forum Resident

Believe it or not, I wash/rinse mine by hand in Woolite (use only a quarter capful in a full bathroom sink), the same stuff the Mrs. washes her "delicates" in... I rinse them out in clear water, and then simply place them on the "spin" cycle in the washing machine. Then I hang them by a couple hooks each and air dry them. Mine have been washed like this numerous times and are still very soft. Lastly, I notice that the occasional tiny bit of vinyl (mostly coming off the edge of a record) will get tangled up in the cloth, and I carefully pick these out before washing them.

Helom likes this.
  7. Leonthepro

Leonthepro Skeptically Optimistic

I use a microfiber cloth for only 1 thing and thats to dry my OKKI velvet strips and fluid spreading brush on it. I dont dry off cleaning fluid though, only after rinsing with tap water to get most of the Lime so it doesnt get on the next record. But Ive washed it a few times. What do you guys think, still okay to dry brushes on it?

8. irender

irender Forum Resident

I hand wash the cloths that came with the Spin Clean in plain water and air dry. Never had a lint problem. Microfiber towels did not absorb as well as the cloths provided.

Helom and luckybaer like this.
  9. Johan Bos

Johan Bos Forum Resident Thread Starter

Thanks for all your replies! I didn't use a drying machine, but next time I won't dry them agian n the sun as that seems to make the cloths hard. I don't know what verion (2 or 3) of the cloths I own. I will try to post a photo of theme here. Good to read that they are safe to use, the older ones as well.

10. Pastafarian

Pastafarian Forum Resident

A good way to test how safe a cloth is, get a black CD-R this will highlight any scratches your cloth is producing, however it may scare you.

11. juno6000

juno6000 Forum Resident

You need to dry them in the dryer without a dryer sheet. Wash them in hot water using bleach.

Microfiber cloths always lead to disappointment.

phish and Helom like this.
  12. marcb

marcb Senior Member

Throw ‘em away and buy some decent microfiber clothes.

Arvid Audio likes this.
  13. heyMo

heyMo Forum Resident

Good information here as I have been considering the SC drying cloths. I have used microfiber, but became concerned about static electricity. That may be only my paranoia, but they do seem to contain some static. Maybe using the wrong ones. What I have used with success are the 100% cotton towels from Zaino. For those of you not familiar, Zaino is an company which has polishing products for vehicles. They are not to leave swirl marks on your vehicle and seem to be working good for my albums.

FWIW, YMMV.

14. marcb

marcb Senior Member

If you use them for drying, they’ll get slightly damp. No static.

15. heyMo

heyMo Forum Resident

I probably need to try microfiber again. It was when they were dry I could hear the static when I picked one up. Was afraid it would transfer to the record.

16. marcb

marcb Senior Member

It will when it’s dry. But after they get a little damp with the SC fluid (and H2O) that goes away.

17. Helom

Helom Forum member

Nothing I've used beats the Spin Clean clothes IME. I own many types of microfiber and not only are they often more abrasive, they create static. Cheap ones will leave little microfibers all over the record. If you get them completely damp, they won't create static but then they just spread around the rinse/water. If microfiber was superior, I would think Spin Clean would've adopted them once they became cheap, as they have been for many years now. It would've been a good way to make new sales to existing SC owners. Unfortunately, microfiber straight up sucks @$$ for drying records. If you properly care for the SC clothes they'll function just as intended for many uses. I handwash them in distilled water and dry them in a machine -- without fabric softeners.

18. marcb

marcb Senior Member

I strongly disagree with almost every word of this.

classicrocker likes this.
  19. riverrat

riverrat Senior Member

I respectfully disagree with your disagreement.

I'm consistently amazed that anyone would prefer the (for me) largely nonabsorbent synthetic microfiber cloths over the cotton ones that Spin Clean elected to include in their system. High quality cotton cloths are probably more expensive and harder to source than microfiber cloths, so there must be a reason that SC went that route. In my view that is because cotton clearly works better.

But, obviously, to each their own on this matter! It's clear that there are two, almost diametrically opposed views here- this same discussion has played out in multiple threads on using the Spin Clean system. It's perplexing to me, but so what? Whatever works and more power to you if you like synthetic cloths better.

Joe Spivey and fluffskul like this.
  20. fluffskul

fluffskul Would rather be at a concert

I've read this argument here for years, and still have my original Spin-Clean clothes. And I have some microfiber clothes that I have only used for record cleaning. They've both only been machine washed cold and never dried. And they both work fine. The microfiber doesn't leave residue the way the SC clothes can (a spin with an anti-static brush collects it right up). But the microfiber clothe cleaned records don't dry as well. They need a longer air-dry period after cleaning. But either one works fine. I can't imagine an audible sound difference from the clothe you use to dry your records as long as u aren't using a sponge or exfoliating brush.

21. marcb

marcb Senior Member

I have no idea what you’re using. Microfiber towels are quite absorbant, but dry quickly so they actually work. I’ve been using microfiber towels on vinyl records (and black automobiles - any decent auto pro will tell you to use microfiber and would scream murder if you suggested one of those Spin Clean towels) for over 15 years and have never once seen a microabrasion or have them leave any lint on a vinyl LP (and besides even if they leave lint, a proper brushing - with something other than one those useless carbon fiber brushes - before play would solve that minor issue).

SC went that way because they probably buy those cheap towels for cents on the dollar compared to microfiber towels. They can’t provide nothing so they include those.

bever70 and classicrocker like this.
  22. Helom

Helom Forum member

I guess we live in different realities. Sometimes I wonder if this forum is a sort of cosmic wormhole.

23. juno6000

juno6000 Forum Resident

I have had no problems using the SC fluid and cloths. As a matter of fact, most complaints about SC involve 2 things: using another fluid and using microfiber cloths rather than what the manufacturer recommends. Almost always this is the case.

cdash99 and Helom like this.
  24. Maccaroni

Maccaroni Forum Resident

I had some shedding problems with my SC cloths - don't know whether they are the new or the old ones though.

I've been using cotton cloth diapers - very soft and very absorbent. If they are good enough for my sole heir and carrier of my name's nether bits, then they are good enough for my records :)

Helom likes this.
  25. Pavol Stromcek

Pavol Stromcek Senior Member

I'm just curious: those of you who use microfiber cloths instead of the Spin Clean ones, is there a particular type that you'd recommend? Are people using the type that one would use to clean a camera lens or a laptop screen, or the bigger ones that are more for household cleaning?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.