Spin Clean Record Washer MKII

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by DTS-MA 7.1, Mar 14, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DTS-MA 7.1

DTS-MA 7.1 Forum Resident Thread Starter

Hi i just got the clear version from ebay for $92 , very happy with the low cost.

where in the USA do you guy's buy the distilled water and who makes it, other than the supermarket brand. Screen Shot 2014-03-14 at 12.13.46 PM.png

billdcat and Bolero like this.
  2. 500Homeruns

500Homeruns Peaceful Punk

I'm pretty sure distilled water is distilled water. I would not pay more for a name brand.

3. Colin M

Colin M Forum Resident

Has anyone tried these $99 4l "dental" water distillers?

4. Vinyl Fan 1973

Vinyl Fan 1973 "They're like soup, they're like....nothing bad"

Thanks for posting this, as I'm actually looking to buy one myself. I'm looking forward to reading about your thoughts once you've used it.

5. mikeyt

mikeyt Forum Resident

6. Robin L

Robin L Musical Omnivore

billdcat and mikeyt like this.
  7. robertawillisjr

robertawillisjr Music Lover

I use a local deionizer/osmosis for 60 cents a gallon. I also use it for water irons, Neil saline rinse, Gatorade, etc.

Works very well for all applications.

8. DTS-MA 7.1

Thanks, i just got a gallon jugg from the supermarket, will post my results.

The FRiNgE and Vinyl Fan 1973 like this.
  9. 500Homeruns

500Homeruns Peaceful Punk

My Spin Clean isn't clear, but I think it works well.

Emperor5353 and fluffskul like this.
  10. Big Thier

Big Thier Forum Resident

The clear version looks so much better.

11. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues

Mine is yellow. When I clean my Miles Davis records I pretend it's a Ferrari.

12. ssmith3046

ssmith3046 Forum Resident

I used one for years and if you use it as directed you'll have satisfactory results. I used microfiber towels for the initial drying then let the records air dry. You'll get your technique down.

13. tubbyslion

tubbyslion Forum Resident

Are they going to continue to offer clear replacements pads?

14. DTS-MA 7.1

So I cleaned 20 LP's one was a CCR Willie& poor boys from goodwill I got for a buck, it did a good job some serface noise but it sounded
    Very good, I also cleaned a 180 gram nick Loews impossible bird, I have not played it yet. The water is murky and I will change it for tomorrows session, I have always cleaned the dust from my discs I feel this will keep them pristine I also placing them in mofi bags
    As well.

coltlacey1, bluemooze and mikeyt like this.
  15. action pact

action pact Music Omnivore

A dish rack comes in handy with the Spin Clean.

Bill Why Man and bluemooze like this.
  16. DTS-MA 7.1

I was using a metal rack that has 6 slots for airing out after wiping.

17. Scocam

Scocam Forum Resident

I dig the Spin Clean. I've used it for a while now and have had some awesome results.

A couple of tips that I've found that work for me...
    I've found that drying the records manually after washing added a noticeable amount of noise to the playback. I let them air dry and then use an anti-static brush prior to playing.

Don't let the water get too murky. You don't want all that funk that's suspended in the water to negate or contaminate your clean vinyl. The cleaning fluid acts as a floculant and will being much of the debris to the bottom but it gets stirred up when rotating records.

I like the clear. Mine is yellow and doesn't really look great out on the counter for days on end cleaning batches of vinyl. :righton:

Bolero likes this.
  18. moops

moops Senior Member

What's the difference with the MKII ?
    Improved somehow ?

19. DTS-MA 7.1

So you do not use the white cloth given , do you rince off the solution with fresh distilled water?.

20. robertawillisjr

robertawillisjr Music Lover

I don't think Spin Clean's recommendation includes a distilled water rinse. YMMV

21. Scocam

Scocam Forum Resident

Nope! I don't do a post rinse or use the provided towels to dry the vinyl- I just air dry. It takes longer but the results are worth it. To air dry, some folks use standing dish drying racks but I just prop them up on a small bar area in my kitchen. I can only do batches of 6 at a time due to drying space constraints but it works well for me.

And robertawillisjr is correct. The Spin Clean does not state that a post rinse is necessary.

22. Gasman1003

Gasman1003 Forum Diplomat.

I use a Spin Clean with battery top up water and let the records air dry too. I bought a rack from a Knosti Disco Anti Stat cleaning machine. Think the rack was about £9, will undoubtedly be less in US. Results pretty good, recently bought an early press Led Zeppelin IV on eBay - seller had cleaned it with an Okki Nokki - very impressive, so am saving up!

23. jordanb87

jordanb87 Forum Resident

I'm having difficulty buying a Spin Clean here in Canada. I had no luck ordering on Spin Clean's website, as my shipping location was 'unavailable.' The company never returned an email I sent them asking about international shipping, and I don't want to call long distance on my cell to talk to them. Ebay.ca and Amazon.ca have it, but for astronomical prices with expensive shipping. Any ideas? I don't shop online much so I'm a little stumped.

24. gfong

gfong Forum Resident

Try Audio Basics, they are good to deal with. Not sure how much shipping is to Winnipeg but here is a sample to Ontario. Try using the code long12 for 12% off, good until the 22nd April. Free shipping if your order is over $100. Im sure you could find something on the site to bring your total to 100. I've dealt with the online store many times and never had an issue. Good luck. Audiobasics.com

SC-RW-MKIISPIN-CLEAN Record Washer System MKII1$89.99$89.99
    Subtotal$89.99
    Long Weekend Sale-$10.80
    Shipping (FedEx Ground)$10.00
    HST 1$11.60
    Total$100.79

jordanb87 likes this.
  25. riverrat

riverrat Senior Member

There are several long threads here regarding the Spin Clean, what kind of water to use, and the merits of homebrew fluids vs the stock Spin Clean fluid.

I use grocery store distilled water and the stock fluid. I think the floculant properties are important.

I also think the Spin Clean is one the great audio bargains, as far as "bang for the buck". Sure, I can see how vacuum-based RCMs might be a bit better, but my Spin Clean gives very impressive results for a fraction of the cost.

ben_wood, conjotter and mikeyt like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.