Spin Clean rollers keep popping out?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Vinyl Addict, Nov 16, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vinyl Addict

Vinyl Addict Forum Resident Thread Starter

I recently picked up a Spin Clean record cleaner from a friend. $40 brand new, still in the box.

I cleaned about 150 records so far. I noticed that through the last 40 or so that the rollers have a tendency to want to pop out. Anyone else have this issue. Am I missing something?

2. Trashman

Trashman Forum Resident

How high are you filling the water tank? I used to have problems with the rollers until I made it a point to fill the water high enough so it went into the grooves where the rollers rest. The extra water helps to lubricate the rollers...and they pop out less often.

3. thesisinbold

thesisinbold Forum Resident

Yeah. that happened with me too.

4. Vinyl Addict

I was filling to the line. Ill have to raise the water a bit as you suggest. It certainly does a pretty damn good job though

sami likes this.
  5. DigMyGroove

DigMyGroove Forum Resident

Glad to find this thread. I've also experienced the pop outs, will raise the waterline as advised!

6. oregonalex

oregonalex Forum Resident

Also inspect the roller sides for smoothness. I had little bumps on the spokes that dragged on the tub sides and caused the rollers to pop out. Shaving them off fixed the problem.

7. F1 Power

F1 Power Well-Known Member

I always keep the water at center level of the rollers. That way it cleans the inner groves better, as the bruches gets flushed better.
    In the beginning I had a roller were the two halfs was splitting/separating around the rubber ring, and that caused the roller to pinch to the record and jump out.
    After gluing it together the problem stoped.

8. Slick Willie

Slick Willie Decisively Indecisive

When that happens, just get the roller axle wet, it acts as a lubricant.

Burning Tires likes this.
  9. Licorice pizza

Licorice pizza Livin’ On The Fault Line

I use a spray bottle with 50/50 mix 91% isopropyl alcohol and distilled water with a micro fiber cloth. After cleaning in circular motions I inspect with a 60X loupe microscope...grooves look amazingly clean. It's a lot cheaper as well.

10. Strummergas

Strummergas Senior Member

I had this problem too, but it usually occurred on the first few records. I started dunking the rollers in the water prior to cleaning the first album, and haven't had a problem since. Maybe dunk them periodically throughout your clean to keep them wet and lubricated.

Slick Willie likes this.
  11. Burning Tires

Burning Tires Forum Resident

I haven't had this problem, but I'm not cleaning that many records at a time. Maybe 15-20 max. at a time.

12. kinkling

kinkling Forum Resident

I only have this problem with 10 inch records. Singles and LPs, the rollers stay in.

13. 80sjunkie

80sjunkie Forum Resident

Happened to me all the time. I just used my fingers to keep the roller down. It's only the roller that goes on the side of the record spinning up. The other roller stays in place because the record is going down on it.

Would be cool if they modified the slot the roller goes into and added a "J" hook in it to stop this from happening.

14. Hawklord

Hawklord Senior Member

I find if it happens it's usually a combination of water level dropping and or the speed that I rotate the record.

15. cdash99

cdash99 Senior Member

I've only had the problem with 10" and some 7" records

16. Bolero

Bolero Senior Member

did you do 150 records all in one batch?

if so, the lower water level would make sense, as it would gradually lose water

btw I only do about 20 records at a time, before changing the water....keeps the water fairly grunge free

17. sami

sami Mono still rules

I'll do max 30-40 before changing the water, depending on how grungy the records are.

18. Vinyl Addict

Yeah I havent done more than 25 before swapping the water.
    Thanks for the help guys. Going to wash more records now, so ill tell ya how it goes

19. superstar19

superstar19 Authentic By Nature

Just got my spin-clean going last weekend. The water gets pretty murky quick and since I wasn't going through the big container of distilled water all that quick, I decided to start swapping the water after 15 or so discs. I don't have a huge vinyl collection so even with increasing the frequency I don't think I'll run out of distilled water before getting through the rest of my records.

20. Vinyl Addict

Cleaned another 50 or so earlier today. I filled it up about 1/8" past the line. This keeps the nipples of the rollers about 1/2 submerge. Worked perfectly. Thanks for the help guys! This thing makes cleaning so easy

21. The Keymaster

The Keymaster Forum Resident

Just bought mine last night and had the exact same problem. Glad to know I'm not alone. I'll inspect the rollers for roughness and also use a higher water level from now on.

22. Strummergas

Strummergas Senior Member

My magic number is 30. After 30, I look at the water and see how bad it is. From there I check again every 5 records until I get to my max for one session which is 50 and then stop.

And yes, 10" records are a pain to clean with the Spin Clean. Luckily I don't have to deal with this problem too often.

23. Vinyl Addict

Yes just raise the level to 1/4" above the line. Problem solved.
    Also if cleaning older dirty records, I won't do more than 20 before replacing the water.
    Even with super clean stuff, I haven't done more than 35. I don't want all that crap floating around in the water

24. The Keymaster

The Keymaster Forum Resident

I did that today and it did help a lot, although not 100%.

25. Vinyl Addict

Are you spinning too fast?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.