Spinal Tap sounds like Jethro Tull to me

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by dave9199, Jul 30, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. playbass

playbass Forum Resident

Wasn't "The Mollusk" Ween's take on prog?

One Louder likes this.
  2. hardknox

hardknox Forum Resident

Of course I've seen the movie a number of times but in all these years the thought has never crossed my mind to actually take the time to listen to a Spinal Tap record. The people on this forum are a never-ending surprise to me. That's a good thing! :uhhuh:

3. One Louder

One Louder Well-Known Member

It was.

4. dave9199

dave9199 Forum Resident Thread Starter

I recommend listening to the commentary of the dvd. It's just so funny.

5. forthlin

forthlin Member Chris & Vickie Cyber Support Team

The sequence in "This Is Spinal Tap" where they are talking about the composition of "All The Way Home" is definitely a piss-take on the scene from Let It Be where Paul is talking about "The One After 909." Never thought much about the comparison to Tull.

The Spinal Tap movie has so many quotable gems, there's one every couple of minutes. "We've got armadillos in our trousers.":laugh:

margaritatoldtom likes this.
  6. joepepitone

joepepitone Forum Resident

I wanted to be the first to point that out. Anyway, I made the connection the first time I saw the movie.

7. One Louder

One Louder Well-Known Member

Both the out of character Criterion commentary and the later in character one are excellent. You can't go wrong either way.

ubertrout and RelayerNJ like this.
  8. EdogawaRampo

EdogawaRampo Senior Member

I think that's closest to me. Status Quo has the history back to '66 and the hard rock over-the-top operatic vocals always did remind me of circa 1971~1973 Uriah Heep as well. But The Thamesmen's Cups and Cakes always reminded me, at least at some level, of this:

9. Aghast of Ithaca

Aghast of Ithaca Forum Resident

... which Tap may have known from Status Quo's version. They covered it on their first album.

10. EdogawaRampo

EdogawaRampo Senior Member

That's right. Forgot about that.

11. erniebert

erniebert Shoe-string audiophile

I heard this, also, back in the day.

I heard Spinal Tap's songs before I heard any Jethro Tull and, when I finally heard Tull, the resemblance was undeniable.

12. Aghast of Ithaca

Aghast of Ithaca Forum Resident

Harry Shearer, not Hank Azaria. Shearer claimed that Saxon's bassist taught him how to play on open strings, leaving his left arm free for air-punching.

13. jimjim

jimjim Forum Resident

Oops...yes, correct. Wrong Simpsons voice person! :)

14. jimjim

jimjim Forum Resident

Apropos of nothing, when I first heard 'Spicks and Specks' (only on arriving here in NZ), I wondered where I'd heard that melody before. Then I remembered this:

Hmm...well, it wasn't a big hit outiside of Oz so maybe 30+ years later they thought they could get away with it!

15. seed_drill

seed_drill Senior Member

Tull only had two drummers, Clive Bunker and Barriemore Barlowe, from their formation through the end of their classic period in '79. After that, the drummer seat was just a hired position until Ian settled on Donne Perry from '88 through their disbanding (though they used Fairport's drummer for the A Little Light Music, acoustic tour).

16. seed_drill

seed_drill Senior Member

Have you paid attention to the lyrics to Hunting Girl?

One day I walked the road and crossed a field to go by where the hounds ran hard.
    And on the master raced: behind the hunters chased to where the path was barred.
    One fine young lady's horse refused the fence to clear.
    I unlocked the gate but she did wait until the pack had disappeared.

Crop handle carved in bone; sat high upon a throne of finest English leather.
    The queen of all the pack, this joker raised his hat and talked about the weather.
    All should be warned about this high born Hunting Girl.
    She took this simple man's downfall in hand; I raised the flag that she unfurled.
    Boot leather flashing and spurnecks the size of my thumb.
    This highborn hunter had tastes as strange as they come.
    Unbridled passion: I took the bit in my teeth.
    Her standing over me on my knees underneath.

My lady, be discreet. I must get to my feet and go back to the farm.
    Whilst I appreciate you are no deviate, I might come to some harm.
    I'm not inclined to acts refined, if that's how it goes.
    Oh, high born Hunting Girl, I'm just a normal low born so and so.

Atmospheric likes this.
  17. ARK

ARK Forum Miscreant

I've said it before and I'll say it again...

Play Spinal Tap's "Listen To The Flower People" and Iron Butterfly's "Flowers & Beads" to a group of people not familiar with either band or song. Ask them which is the joke band/song and which is the serious band/song. I'd bet dollars to doughnuts that most would say that the Iron Butterfly song was the "joke".

18. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

I don't hear much Tull in either, although Mutilated Lips definitely is proggy. She Wanted to Leave always seemed like a dead on Richard Thompson pastiche, though.

19. Duke Fame

Duke Fame Sold out the Enormodome

I almost posted a new thread on this subject, wanting to delve into all the songs on the soundtrack, but figured I'd just revive this one.

I agree that most of the songs that were supposed to be current day at the time sounds like Jethro Tull.

The pre-Tap Thamesmen track 'Cups and Cakes' sounds a lot like baroque period Stones, specifically 'Ruby Tuesday'. The other Thamesmen track 'Gimmie Some Money' definitely sounds like the Yardbirds or Kinks.

20. Troll much?
    Fair enough!
    Respect the melody angle.
    Tho the thread title could be more along the lines of:
    'Which Artist Does "Spinal Tap" Most Remind You Of?'

Of course the Mockumentary band is going to wear their 'influences' on their proverbial sleeve.

IMO; definitely a European band, definitely a British band, & most likey English!!!

The fact that "Jethro Tull" was chastised for being considered a "Metal" band; while the 'Tap' was surely taking a piss at "Metal" bands, kinda shuts that association down IMO.

Wasn't the "Dead Drummer" gag, based on the "Grateful Dead"?!?!
    Memory is hazey!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.