SPIRIT - It Shall Be : The Ode & Epic Recordings 1968-1972

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by moops, Dec 21, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. phillyal1

phillyal1 Forum Resident

What are the differences? Anything significant ?

2. lemonade kid

lemonade kid Forever Changing

That's what it says. Sounds like my original LP. Quite good.

3. Tristero

Tristero In possession of the future tense

There seems to be more orchestration compared to the remix that's been available on CD, so it sounds a bit more flowery at points where the remix sounds leaner.

The remastering on this set is excellent. I gave Sardonicus a good spin yesterday and it makes this wonderfully produced masterpiece sound better than ever--dynamic and luscious. It's such a shame that the band split at that point just as they were peaking. I did also listen to Feedback last night for the first time. It was a little jarring after the perfection of its predecessor, though it wasn't without its charms. If you sort squint (or whatever the audio equivalent of squinting is!), you could almost imagine that it was Spirit, but the songwriting wasn't up to snuff and it's hard for me to consider it to be the genuine article without Randy and Jay on board.

Atmospheric and Greenalishi like this.
  4. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

Most noticeable to me is that some of the crossfades on side one are different, and "Silky Sam" has a longer ending in the remix.

5. ottoman79

ottoman79 Forum Resident

The mono mix is dedicated for sure.

lemonade kid likes this.
  6. ottoman79

ottoman79 Forum Resident

I just noticed something. The mono mix of "Topanga Windows" is missing the opening note, about 3 seconds is cut. It just starts with the opening line.

IDwithnoE likes this.
  7. lemonade kid

Different mix.

8. ottoman79

ottoman79 Forum Resident

No sir, I think I didn't make myself clear. On the original Ode mono pressing there is the first note. . .It is not on this new remaster of the mono mix.

SinnerSaint and IDwithnoE like this.
  9. lemonade kid

Ahhh....strange. I thought they were supposed to be the same. Thanks. I'll have a listen to my mono vinyl vs the remaster.

10. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

The opening note of "Topanga Windows" is on both the Sundazed mono LP and a needledrop I have of the original Ode mono LP. Too bad they may have omitted it on the CD.

IDwithnoE likes this.
  11. aoxomoxoa

aoxomoxoa I'm an ear sitting in the sky

Didn’t we determine the mono mix was a fold down?

12. lemonade kid

Hmmm...We are getting "mixed" signals here. Does anyone know for sure--sources? Either way, it is one of the best original 1968 mono LPs I have....and the new CD is nice too. It was recorded in late 1967 so it could be a dedicated mix....or not. Still so fine!

13. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

US=Dedicated mix / UK=Fold

Search Results for Query: SPIRIT | Steve Hoffman Music Forums

14. lemonade kid

Myke likes this.
  15. Atmospheric

Atmospheric Forum Resident

I just picked this up. So far I’ve listened to Twelve Dreams, an album I know very well and have owned numerous times.

Esoteric really has it going on. I love their Procol Harum stuff. They have a real musical sensibility that comes through in their mastering. I’m hearing stuff I’ve never heard. Mark Andes’ bass is problematic, yet it sits in the mix beautifully. I can actually hear the attack on bass notes instead of just the low frequencies. The acoustic guitar has never sounded better. Better vocal separation. Just a treat in every way.

16. lemonade kid

yes....amazing mastering of my favorite band.

Atmospheric likes this.
  17. moops

moops Senior Member Thread Starter

It's refreshing to get so many positive reviews of a recent CD box set.
    Who would have guessed, with many keen to read CD it's last rites, that a Spirit box would appear on CD and knock everyone's socks off ?

A big one of these ....... :edthumbs:

Oh, and if anyone from Esoteric is reading this, can we please have an identical set for Moby Grape ?

art, GerryO, Electric Sydney and 4 others like this.
  18. lemonade kid

Has Moby grape overcome all the legal issues that prevented reissues--especially their monumental debut? Would also love to see a Grape box by the Esoteric geniuses. How they pull off such great remastering is a wonder especially given so many bland or brickwalled remasters from other labels.

19. MarcS

MarcS Forum Resident

My recollection is the band won back the rights to its name but I think their old manager has (and/or claims to have) rights to artwork for the first 2 albums which is why Sundazed pulled the those re-releases. Even if he's wrong the threat of litigation may prevent a label from bothering.

moops likes this.
  20. moops

moops Senior Member Thread Starter

No idea really, though you would think if everything was ok there would have been word or maybe some kind of reissue. It's a bummer, that's for sure.

21. aoxomoxoa

aoxomoxoa I'm an ear sitting in the sky

Would be great if they would release this on vinyl

Machiventa and lemonade kid like this.
  22. lemonade kid

That would be a big WOW...want it.

23. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

For whatever reason the first two Grape albums with artwork are on Spotify but with most of the songs grayed out.

24. popmat

popmat Forum Resident

So reading through this thread and specifically the Mono discussion - have we determined if the Mono s/t included in this set is the US dedicated mix or the UK fold-down?

25. MarcS

MarcS Forum Resident

I think only the bonus tracks are available.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.