SPIRIT - It Shall Be : The Ode & Epic Recordings 1968-1972

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by moops, Dec 21, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lemonade kid

lemonade kid Forever Changing

US dedicated mono. It is sublime. I also have an original vinyl promo...mono! It is awesome.

popmat likes this.
  2. Reamonnt

Reamonnt Mr.T

I see there is a 5 CD Original Album Classics out from Sony for 17 while the boxset discussed above is 30 both on amazon.co.uk. Ive no interest in mono mixes so is the original album classics a better purchase or do people still think this boxset is better?

3. lemonade kid

The Esoteric box is all stereo, remastered--the stereo and mono mix of the first id included so you don't have to play the mono, but the rest are beautifully remastered. THE Family that Plays Together is from the original LP mix. Fantastic.

4. Just curious, did anyone else report the mastering error on the s/t mono (first note of Topanga Window cut off) to Esoteric yet? They may be able to provide replacement CDs or files if enough people report this error.

5. Greenalishi

Greenalishi Birds Aren’t Real

I just got this and can't wait to dig in. Traded my Time Circle Box in. Had it since it came out. Only owned a best of before that. I think it's super cool they put so much, including Time Circle stuff in the box. Really love this band a lot. 30 bucks on Amazon so a pretty good deal. And the box is nice and small which i really love. Not a fan of the new big box stuff. This is perfect. Spirit rocks!

6. lemonade kid

Enjoy. A great remastering job. You will love it!

Greenalishi likes this.
  7. Greenalishi

Listening to the first disc. Awesome!

Crimson Witch and lemonade kid like this.
  8. Greenalishi

I really dig the sound and way it's laid out. The soundtrack is super cool. Never heard it before. Very very Spirit sounding. Randy just feedbacky and moody. Randy is such a cool player. Very satisfied.

smiley69 and lemonade kid like this.
  9. Dennis Metz

Dennis Metz Born In A Motor City south of Detroit

10. dance_hall_keeper

dance_hall_keeper Forum Resident

I opened up my front door last night, hoping to hear what it sounds like. No luck. Too windy.

Instead I ordered it, after forgetting that it was being released. It's actually cheaper now than the pre-order price back when.

This will be good.

lemonade kid and Greenalishi like this.
  11. Tristero

Tristero In possession of the future tense

I'm still really enjoying this set--so much great music well presented. Comprehensive, good sound quality, affordable--what more can you ask for?

Which discs have you guys been going back to the most? For me, it's definitely been the Model Shop/Clear set. I actually had the separate release of the Model Shop, though I honestly didn't listen to it much. At first I was a little disappointed that I was familiar with so many of the tracks from various different releases, but it reworks them into a very cool alternate album. I always enjoy their jazzy instrumental interludes, but there are enough solid songs in there to hold it together. It makes for a great companion piece to Clear--a little more abstract and dreamy. They were really hitting their stride creatively by this point, building up to their ultimate masterpiece. . .

Greenalishi and Shvartze Shabbos like this.
  12. shadlet

shadlet Forum Resident

is a really big plus for this set. This weekend I've had time to read the booklet and listen to the first disc in regard to the Taurus controversy - amazing.
    I finally A/B'd that Ice guitar solo distortion at around 2 minutes in, where Randy really lays into it, between this box version and the 1988 Edsel CD. The SQ of the whole box sounds really good but the Edsel (for Ice anyway) is the clear winner IMHO - smooth as silk with barely a hint of distortion.
    I was really disappointed at the abandonment of the AF Clear release so it's a relief to have the Edsel version; just the straight LP on disc, no bonus tracks.
    Spirit (8) - Clear

Greenalishi likes this.
  13. Andy Smith

Andy Smith .....Like a good pinch of snuff......

I came in at Jo Jo Gunne’s first album so it might be interesting to go back and check these out.

lemonade kid and Greenalishi like this.
  14. lemonade kid

I still prefer my original vinyl, but this box (what a value and such a great set---glad they chose to go with the original masters for this) and the two Hoffman remastered CDs are amazing.

I have a rare Spirit s/t mono promo vinyl and it is fantastic.

[​IMG]

15. averica

averica infinite rider on the big dogma

love me some Spirit

rkt88 and Greenalishi like this.
  16. David P. Hill

David P. Hill Forum Resident

On the EU 5cd box set, what's OAC stand for?

samthesham likes this.
  17. Galley

Galley Forum Resident

Original Album Collection?

18. David P. Hill

David P. Hill Forum Resident

Never heard of this EU Spirit 5 cd collection box set. Is it OOP or still available? I have the 3 SACD's of Audio Fidelity. This Esoteric CD box set sounds like the one to have accordingly to most of everyone on this thread.

19. samthesham

samthesham Forum Resident

Original Album Classics...sorry 'bout that

20. eelkiller

eelkiller One of the great unwashed

Three AF discs? Did you get a promo copy before they went ***s up? :)

21. shadlet

shadlet Forum Resident

Oh man, I wish.
    I'll always wonder how far along they got and if the set could be completed by... somebody?

22. lemonade kid

Bull Moose says it can get it in 1-3 weeks...out of stock. That's where I got mine. $38.97 for 5 cds!

Bull Moose. Search

23. bubba-ho-tep

bubba-ho-tep Resident Ne'er-Do-Well

24. eelkiller

eelkiller One of the great unwashed

These collections use a previous mastering normally.
    Spirit - Original Album Classics [New CD] UK - Import | eBay

25. lemonade kid

Didn't Audio Fidelity only release two of Hoffman's remasters before they went belly up (though Steve had actually remastered all four??)? I have AF's Spirit s/t 1968 & The Family That Plays Together. Both brilliant. Sure wish they had gone vinyl too.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.