SPIRIT self titled and "The Family That Plays Together" coming on Audio Fidelity SACD, SH mastered

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Steve Hoffman, Apr 12, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Love Spirit. Mostly an analogue guy, but I'm grabbing these! Sweet! :)

broshfab4, CusBlues and Myke like this.
  2. This is going to be amazing. First class music mastered by a first class engineer. Can't wait.

3. Manapua

Manapua Forum Resident

My intro to Spirit was Mechanical World in '68. How does anything top that? And I was 14 and didn't do drugs!

CusBlues and SinnerSaint like this.
  4. jamesmaya

jamesmaya Senior Member

August 1968, Avalon Ballroom, SF
    [​IMG]

5. duneman

duneman Forum Resident

Looking forward to this - been a Spirit fan from way back.

Re: Sunset and Gardner. I was in a band in the mid-80s that rented a 24 hour lockout rehearsal studio down an alleyway just north of that intersection, right behind Guitar Center. Great times! It was owned, or at least run, by an interesting cat named Billy Elder. Apparently, or so we were told, Billy had a hit song sometime in the 60s. The band that rented the studio next door when we were there was none other than Guns 'n Roses, before they were signed to Geffen. Some stories to tell there for sure. Also used to work with a British luthier named Mark Lacey who had a shop on Gardner. He put the Kaher tremelo on my Les Paul. Still there. Guy was an ace luthier. The fabled Sunset Grill was next to GC. Used to get burgers there. This was before the Henley song.

I really liked that area.

6. boboquisp

boboquisp Magic Prism Eyes

That's the Spirit!!!

7. Jimbo1960

Jimbo1960 Forum Resident

Awesome!!!

8. Steel Horse

Steel Horse Forum Resident

This is great news. Only had Spirit on vinyl before. So my first digital versions will be SH mastered Sacd's. Can't go wrong here...

SinnerSaint and Myke like this.
  9. Chris Schoen

Chris Schoen Rock 'n Roll !!!

Definite buy for me. They were ahead of their time, like Love and a few other L.A. bands.

SinnerSaint and Joti Cover like this.
  10. Darrin L.

Darrin L. Forum Resident

1971's "Twelve Dreams of Dr. Sardonicus" is, IMHO, one of the greates albums of all time.

[​IMG]

11. Electric

Electric The Medium is the Massage

My wife loves Moby Grape as much as I love Spirit.

Bill, janschfan and Myke like this.
  12. beccabear67

beccabear67 Musical omnivore.

I have most everything on vinyl (even that flexi that came with a Dark Star mag) but this looks like a good time to step into CD! I wasn't being funny about that Zombies CD, there wasn't much Zombies on CD then and I was not expecting much but I still have it even with all the mass of stuff that has come out from the Zombie Heaven box on. You do great work!

SinnerSaint likes this.
  13. Oliver

Oliver Bourbon Infused

Talk about a unique original band. I can't really think of another band that even remotely sounded like them. Big fan.

SinnerSaint likes this.
  14. Dingo

Dingo Forum Resident

Such great choices: in Oz, SPIRIT had a higher profile than LOVE, but not quite the success of the DOORS.
    In my appreciation, "Twelve Dreams" is the U.S. equivalent of ' SGT. PEPPER' , and the earlier albums show a similar rapid development in style and reach.

SinnerSaint likes this.
  15. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host Thread Starter

I was in a band once and they loved SPIRIT. So much so that we had to learn Fresh Garbage and All The Same. The guitar player even had the Echoplex to make that opening sound of All The Same. This was the early 80's before I played electric gee-tar. I was the Wurlitzer electronic piano player so it was perfect for me. We sounded like crap but got through them. Then we tried Street Worm, Animal Zoo, etc. These songs are not easy to play. Or should I say not easy to play correctly!

16. Oliver

Oliver Bourbon Infused

Funny I would have figured most bands would have just skipped that intro! Also funny I thought you were just a guitar guy :)

17. Steve Hoffman

The song would be nothing without that intro! I remember our drummer, Ed Fleming HATED doing that drum solo every time. Oh, well. A long time ago but those songs were difficult! They were complex.

Oliver likes this.
  18. Oliver

Oliver Bourbon Infused

Just curious-this may sound like a stupid question but at that time would people have known "All the Same" if you played it out at say a club? I don't quite have a sense of how big Spirit were at that time beyond say "Fresh Garbage" or "Gotta Line on you".

Ed Hughes likes this.
  19. Vinyl Socks

Vinyl Socks The Buzz Driver

Hi, Steve...when you say "original mixes", for FTPT - are you referring to the original mix on the Ode Records 1st pressing? Legend states that that original master mix was either lost or erased after the initial printing with the Ode label. I prefer this mix, myself...maybe now is a good time for the story to be told, if you are privy to the details.

20. gorangers

gorangers Forum Resident

This is great news. I just bought Clear on the Ode label at my local flea market. Great music and well worth the special treatment it will receive.

Vinyl Socks likes this.
  21. Steve Hoffman

No, no one would have heard any of those songs in the 80s, nor the 70s. One or two people here in LA maybe but it wouldn't have gone over like Takin' Care Of Business.

showtaper and Oliver like this.
  22. Steve Hoffman

There is only one original mix, we are using it. Took a long time to get it, too.

23. Oliver

Oliver Bourbon Infused

Got it. Thanks!

24. Vinyl Socks

Vinyl Socks The Buzz Driver

I see...I was under the impression that the tapes were lost after the Ode pressing, and remixed for subsequent Epic Records pressings (and ultimately remixed again for the 1996 Sony reissue).
    Wikipedia says "At some point after "Family's" first issue, the final mixes for the album were lost."
    I think I meant to ask, "Are you guys using the Ode mix?(assuming Epic pressings required a fresh mix from the multi-tracks) Or is the "lost tape" story a bit stretched-out by time and re-telling?"
    Can't wait to hear this...it's my all-time favorite album.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2017
  25. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

I'm not sure Steve cares. He's working with the only original, so there we go. :tiphat:

Vinyl Socks likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.