SPIRIT self titled and "The Family That Plays Together" coming on Audio Fidelity SACD, SH mastered

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Steve Hoffman, Apr 12, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Electric

Electric The Medium is the Massage

Listening to Model Shop CD right now. Haven't listened to it in years. Sonics and music are wonderful.

lemonade kid, broshfab4 and Myke like this.
  2. Vinyl Socks

Vinyl Socks The Buzz Driver

I don't doubt that it sounds great, but I am unaware of a dedicated mono mix for "The Family That Plays Together". Perhaps it is a fold-down?
    Update: I just realized that Model Shop was a CD. I will check it out.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2017
  3. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

It's an alternate take.

Vinyl Socks and Whoopycat like this.
  4. Whoopycat

Whoopycat Forum Resident

Probably not for the whole album, but the mono "Aren't You Glad" sounds vastly different from the stereo version.

Edit: that's why it sounds different!

5. Myke

All is explained in the liner notes.

6. Audiophillitastic! :winkgrin:

7. Electric

The first one now listed at ImportCDs.

8. Myke

9. Electric

BTW, the movie Model Shop will be on TCM on May 10 at 4 AM.

lemonade kid and jeffrey walsh like this.
  10. Myke

Ain't got no TCM, but that's nice of you.

Electric likes this.
  11. gd0

gd0 Looney Tunes and Merrie Melodies

Hey, that's only about a mile away from the (former) Dudley Do-Right Emporium, RIP.

[​IMG]

12. RedWingfan

RedWingfan Forum Resident

Don't call me a "Hoffman Slappy", but I will buy all of them; OK, I MAY be a Hoffman Slappy.

SinnerSaint likes this.
  13. zongo

zongo Forum Resident

This is great in every way - original mix used (although I think the 1996 remixes also sound good), on SACD, with bonus trax. These are all excellent albums, truly unique music worthy of any music fan's attention. I will be purchasing all four as they come out.

14. snkcube

snkcube Forum Resident

SinnerSaint and Shvartze Shabbos like this.
  15. gedsmit

gedsmit Fair Weather Member

According to Amazon UK and some import CD sites (but not Amazon.com) only a couple of days to go until the first album! Fingers crossed.

16. Maranatha5585

Maranatha5585 BELLA + RIP In Memoriam

Super news Steve, always were a great group!
    Was an early fan, and of solo work later too.
    Some odd, and sad occurrences too.
    Caught up with Randy and Ed just prior..
    Be looking out for these w/o question.

17. joelee

joelee Hyperactive!

Fever Tree would be unbelievable!

18. rikpepe

rikpepe Active Member

Greeting from Connecticut and # 124 on the Audio Fidelity Hit parade
    Listening to Spirit if this is whee to post for it. I am about to cry it so sounds so great. Wish I had joint right now! But still this a nice natural high. It sounds great this is what high res is and should be . Stereo like I like it. As it should be. The first 11 "cuts" are from the original album and there are 4 bonus tracks! Veruska (Dreamer) is a great instrumental that sound like you right in the studio with them. Free Spirit is the next bonus and ditto for this track - they both Should have replaced water woman and the great canyon fire. The third cut If I had a woman has great instrumentals but a weaker number only due to some rudimentary lyrics bemoaning he doesn't have a woman (sorry dude) it too could have replaced one of weaker tracks in days of yore. I guess the original record company Ode wanted hits ie vocals - I still have my Vinyl Copy I bought 49 years ago. The last cut is a shorter version - a 9 min of Elijah slightly different than the ~ 11 min opus on the original recording track 11/15 on this disc. Overall impressions - this is what DSD is all about. This sounds so much better than vinyl - sorry scratches and pops and mold and mildew and turntable rumble albeit an old problem - are e all real annoyances. and I have been tracking lightly and have stored every one of my precious vinyls in plastic sleeves since 1978 from Bags Unlimited who has been protecting my collections for decades. They have the old Mobile Fidelity no scratch no pull Jewel cases and anything else you can think of. But I digress.
    1a Great DSD feels like I was in the studio with Spirit. I yearn to hear Buffalo Springfield "Retrospective" like this... please Audio gods...
    b. The tracks segway together flawlessly like 12 dreams and Nights in White Satin this "record"was meant to be listened as a whole. So shuffle prone millennials can't possibly understand this concept of a concept album.

2. Great Bonus tracks worthy of being on the original album - not throw away junk at all
    3. I am an admitted prog head. I now believe that Spirit was an early progressive band - Just listen to Elijah and The Taurus-Mechanical World "complex".
    4. Spirit was Environmentally Conscious before it was cool to do so (fesh Garbage - Topenga Canyon fire - and later Natures Way.
    5. I can't wait to hear 12 dreams of Dr Sardonicus i'm sure it will be better than my Silver Mobile Fidelity- I want the Dr that next but I'll settle for The Family that plays together and I got a line on you etc. The Best of of album is truly the best of-no fluff. That would be tasty too,
    6. Spirit should be in the Rock and Roll Hall Of Fame (read hall of shame). Why you ask?
    Listen to Taurus and what do you hear ? Noto Bene at ~:43 -1:11 Now you know the song that this influenced. Arguably one of the greatest songs ever - Stairway to Heaven! Listen to the first chord of Topanga Windows - It is the first chord of Tommy. Their sound influenced many LA Bands and SF bands
    addenda - after I wrote this I got the revelation to finally read the liner note and they talk about the Led Zep thing, And Jeesh - Steve H.mastered this thing (A Magoo moment):magoo::eek: Great Job!
    7. This album sounds awesome in Neural - X - like it was made for multichannel. If you have a DTS-X enabled receiver - do it. Crank it.

" (he) let fly a farte"
    From Geoffrey Chaucer's "The Canterbury Tales", The Miller's Tale
    1965 t0 1977 condensed in 1967 to 1973 is an era in music that will never be equaled. This is stuff made 50 years ago that sounds better and performed better than most pablum
    produced nowadays. An era of experimental sounds by our greatest musicians - there are precious few around today or many who do not get the attention of the spectacle
    dependent generation. Sound like an olde farte?
    Spirit can now join The Nice, the Doors, Quicksilver Messenger Service, Bowie and even the Beatles as a new entry in my progressive rock catalogue. Maybe most psychedelia
    can join this group nowadays. Experimentation and Expertise, Progressive was a dirty word when rock critics who were mired in the 50's did everything they could to
    damage the genre (along with soul, bluegrass, metal, and some forms of jazz). The real issue is three fold. One, rock critics thought that they were above the fray that
    they were the exclusive high priests of the faith (50s). Two, their egos only allowed them to be critical and rather than critique an album. Three, progressive was talent
    driven. Invariably there were "too many notes" (nod to Amadeus) for those simpletons to understand. They heralded Punk as Saviors of Rock. Well the proof is in the pudding. Spirit lives. Punk died a quick death and left few, very few traces of it's existence. I do miss the glorious Clash, The Ramones and 2 Sex Pistol songs. Progressive has survived the
    near successful assassination of those few hateful critics. May Robert Christgau be amolering in his grave. It is progressive that has led to their latter day high resolution reissue
    renaissance. Steve Wilson's Yes, Jethro Tull. ELP, Caravan, Marillion. I have the Doors , The Moody Blues, King Crimson, Rush. Pet Sounds and on and on.... Yes and Rush finally admitted to Hall of Shame who lke critics of the past think they are the latter-day priests. Their inclusion of non-rock and exclusion of obvious candidates leaves many shaking their heads in bewilderment. They take "rock" artists like Run DMC, Joan Baez, Bob Wills and the Texas Playboys, Bessie Smith, Dusty Springfield, Lavern Womack , ABBA and leave out The Clash, Tull, King Crimson, ELP, Moody Blues, The Cars, Roxy Music. Kraftwerk, the Guess Who, Def Leppard, Doobie Bros, Motorhead. Spiritand for the earliest rock influences Louis Prima and Ike Turner (Yep).

Kraftwerk is still cutting edge folks no nostalgia act here They havw just released a 4 disc blu ray set of their entire catalogue (and one re-performed album) and concerts mixed in
    Dolby Atmos (I have a 5.2,4 / &.2.2) not upmixed crap but the real thing- you are in a dome or cloud of music while viewing MOMA quality computer animation In 3D with music
    notes floating towards you to about 6 inches away from your face and then it floats around your head. Awesme stuff

too many notes

Sorry for the rant, but this, this new, beautiful reissue (thanks Audio Fidelity) has moved me thus.

Dingo likes this.
  19. rikpepe

rikpepe Active Member

Now I get Spirit SH mastered -sorry just a stupid newbie.

Juggsnelson likes this.
  20. Boaz

Boaz Forum Resident

I would like to know if it sounds any better then the easy to find remaster.

21. Myke

Import CDs is shipping the first Spirit SACD !!!! :bdance:

formu_la and Juggsnelson like this.
  22. Dok

Dok Senior Member

Got my shipping notice from them today as well!

formu_la and Myke like this.
  23. formu_la

formu_la I'm not a robot

Same here

Myke likes this.
  24. Electric

Not me. :cry:

Is Blue Cheer shipping too?

25. John D.

John D. Senior Member

My Blue Cheer is on the way from amazon.us :D