SPIRIT self titled and "The Family That Plays Together" coming on Audio Fidelity SACD, SH mastered

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Steve Hoffman, Apr 12, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

2. moops

moops Senior Member

Enjoy that $3.00 ! ;)

3. moops

moops Senior Member

Me too ! EROC kicked a goal there ! :thumbsup:

darbelob and Dok like this.
  4. chewy

chewy Forum Resident

i saw the J-for-US greatest hits today but passed on it cause these are going to be what i want now, i really hope i win the contest

5. Myke

The checks I receive on these trips are rarely below $100.00, and since life is too short to itemize, or hoard, I'm happy.

6. moops

moops Senior Member

I didn't mean anything by it ........ I feel the pain of the used CD seller as well. :wave:

Myke likes this.
  7. I'm a fan of Vic's mastering of these but the SACD's sound pretty darn terrific.

Whoopycat likes this.
  8. Myke

So you've received Family then ?

9. shadlet

shadlet Forum Resident

The Spirit/Jo Jo Gunne/Randy California/Jay Ferguson discussion Thread
    I A/B'd the Edsel and the Repertoire Clear back in Jan. in #102 - just my 2 cents. Others will disagree...
    If Steve can get the edge smoothed off Randy breaking into that solo, that will be an accomplishment.

kendo likes this.
  10. No, should have read SACD for the first album. Elusive shipped mine and I should have it by Friday.

I will probably keep the ones mastered by Vic. They don't sell for much either that or give it to my brother.

11. Myke

The Family arrived today, and right off the bat, I got that properly mastered characteristic of not having to turn it down 10 dbs ! Sounds fantastic, just a real treat for the ears. Thanks @Steve Hoffman

ssmith3046 likes this.
  12. Rog

Rog New Member

Will the other two SACD albums be Clear and Twelve Dreams of Dr. Sardonicus?

13. Well this sounds really nice. It's great to hear the original mixes for the album(s). I liked Vic's remixes quite a bit but these are the ones I grew up on.

Got a nice bonus--got my music direct shipment with Salty Dog at the same time. I keep thinking about checking to see if I could make an appointment at the Sebastapol MF location as it's about an hour and ten minutes away. Anyone here ever go up there and, if so, do you need to make an appointment?

14. While we haven't gotten any clarity, I'm assuming that would be the case as after the fifth album with the new line up Randy California and Ed Cassidy signed with Mercury.

15. Evan

Evan Senior Member

Picked up both titles at Waterloo records on Saturday. I have only played them in the car, and all I can say is, Wow! They are both great. Hope for more.

16. PurpleHaze

PurpleHaze Forum Resident

Just listened to the SACD of "The Family That Plays Together", and the sound quality is true "ear candy" to my ears!

17. Claus

Claus Senior Member

"Clear" coming in October, also Scorpions Best Of.

18. Heavy Music

Heavy Music Forum Resident

Amazon has Clear for release on Sept 8th. But that will probably change with notice!

19. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

I got the first two albums when they came out in 1968 and 1969 and got the Vic Anesini CD remasters years ago, and I've ordered these for the original mixes. Good to hear the originals again after so many years.

20. Claus

Claus Senior Member

I listened to That Family today.... now I know why Sony remixed the album. ;)

The original mix is a nice addition, but I prefer the remix.

21. gedsmit

gedsmit Fair Weather Member

I've never heard the remix, just the UK Edsel CD of Family, and I love the Audio Fidelity release - very spacious, nice quiet moments, earthy drums, deep base, a great sound if the recording is a little raw. Really looking forward to the next two

22. gedsmit

gedsmit Fair Weather Member

I omitted to mention, I am listening to the red book layer, listening to it now as it happens! Just got back from work, cracked open a Heineken, got the house to myself and couldn't wait to put it on! I really love this album, and this CD is better than the Edsel in my opinion, Steve's mastering feels just right, how I imagine this album should sound. Great job

23. darbelob

darbelob Senior Member

This has been a desert island disc for me since its release. Apart from the vinyl, I've owned the digital Edsel, Legacy, and Repertoire (still own this latter and it has been my "go to"). I bought the SACD based on my appreciation for our host's work (they can take my CSN Couch Album when they pry ... well, you know), and because it was the 1968 mix and this must have been part of what caused me to make this album one of my faves (out of thousands).

Unlike most forum members, I cannot mentally compare one mix from another (or A and B or do those loudness or whatever they are numerical readings that I do not understand). All I can do is put that bad boy on and decide do I like it or not. And this, along with the Couch Album, Space In Time, and East West (Kevin Gray, I know), goes to the head of the class. As Steve has said, the studio aspects of this are less than ideal, but it is warm, smooth, (a bit more bassy than I would like, but, hey, Mark deserves his day in the sun), and just feels good. I am very happy to have this disc and thanks to our host for making it available.

24. Blair G.

Blair G. Senior Member

I like the Anesini’s so much I figured these wouldn’t be as good.

Well, I was wrong.
    “Spirit” is amazing.
    Better or different?
    Don’t know, don’t care....this SACD sounds great, that’s all that matters.
    Time to spin the other two.....

Shvartze Shabbos likes this.
  25. Dok

Dok Senior Member

Importcds has canceled my Clear preorder. :sigh:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.