Spiritualized : And Nothing Hurt (Sept. 7th)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by TheWarmth, Jun 11, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. smartiepants

smartiepants Senior Member

I don't come across homes with air con, good old fashioned open windows for us Brits, this summer was unusually warm & I was lucky that I had air con at my workplace other than that it was fairly uncomfortable but you cannot beat the UK for the music scene, it leads the way

still gutted I didn't talk myself into going last night

Oyster Boy and TheSeldomSeenKid like this.
  2. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

Glad I got a ticket! :evil:

smartiepants likes this.
  3. craigobau

craigobau Forum Resident

I thought the new songs sounded great live, particularly with the string/brass/gospel accompaniment on each one.

In comparison with the opening set of older tracks, the new tracks aren't as "intense", but they flowed seamlessly, some with extended instrumental passages not found on their studio counterparts and Sail On Through was a beautiful set-closer.

I just can't say enough good things about this show as, after nearly 40 years of gig going, this was indeed something special, particularly as I was sharing the joy of seeing a talented musician like Jason Pierce successfully translating the "big sounds" he has in his head into a live setting with nearly 30 musicians on stage.

We saw Spiritualized presented the way JP hears it.

4. Dolemite

Dolemite Forum Resident

Sorry folks, I love the old Spiritualized. LGM and Pure Phase...

But I the this new LP was so hype to me by others I trust and sad it as good as old stuff...

No way, I miss the psychedelic intensity the old stuff had. This is the worst thing I bought this year ( and did I hate that Morrissey record). This just boring and “rock and roll-ish” dad rock.

I could even finish listen to it.

5. Big Swifty

Big Swifty Forum Resident

It's not the sort of record that's going to blow you away on first listen. It requires a few critical listens to let it all unravel.

Give it another shot.

It's easily the best thing I've bought this year.

SoundDoctor, Spaceboy and Echoes71 like this.
  6. luckycountry

luckycountry Forum Resident

To be fair, it's been a long time since we had "psychedelic intensity." 1995?

Spaceboy likes this.
  7. Dolemite

Dolemite Forum Resident

But others sold it to that way. That’s why I’m sore. And I would not have brought it otherwise.

I stopped listen to them after Ladies and Gentleman. After that lp I’m more in the camp of what sonic boom has done rather than Jason

Last edited: Sep 23, 2018
  8. Spaceboy

Spaceboy Senior Member

Don't remember anyone talking about psychedelic intensity.

9. Dolemite

Dolemite Forum Resident

Nobody on this forum, but people I know in real life

10. slop101

slop101 Guitar Geek

Took me about 5-ish listens for it to click, and another 5 until I found it to be sublime.

SoundDoctor, Spaceboy and Big Swifty like this.
  11. Dolemite

Dolemite Forum Resident

I’m putting it in my rotation pile and not my sell pile to give it a fair chance. I really was expecting something when I first listen to give it a fair shot.

12. stoneknuckle

stoneknuckle Forum Resident

After being underwhelmed myself, I decided to pick 2 random songs and listen to both back to back a few times in a row and then pick two more and repeat the process for a few days. I definitely think it's a stronger album than I originally thought.

However, I don't think it's any better or worse than the last album.

13. dlemaudit

dlemaudit Forum Resident

great show last night , 5 piece band with 3 piece choir ( amazing ) , no strings , no horns .
    the songs from new album did benefit from this fairly low key set up , they really shone through intead of the piling up of layers and layers of instruments which is sometimes tiring .
    below the set list which is the same i believe than the London show ;
    it was a small venue so was really close to Jason who looks very very frail and well not so healthy ;
    But he was good to see him again ( he is one year older than I am ) , last time was 30 years ago at a Spacemen 3 gig .

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 24, 2018
    Rupe33, Maurice, SoundDoctor and 4 others like this.
  14. Neonbeam

So at the moment these shows seem to be 4, 5 songs as "intro", followed by the new album in its entirety and then - depending on mood and/ or venue - 2 or more songs as encore. Three songs from "Ladies & Gentlemen", one from each other album and none from "Pure Phase". Since the tour has just started that may change but it's good.

Really liked it that some recent shows (Paris & London) started and ended with "Hold On". Not the one you saw though. Really looking forward to the show!

15. dlemaudit

dlemaudit Forum Resident

Not a big fan of " Oh Happy Days" cover to close the show , would have prefered a couple of his own songs

16. erowid

erowid Die unerträgliche Leichtigkeit des Seins

Got the black and white vinyl editions last week. Great album, but I think it was kind of silly now to go for a second copy just to have this on white vinyl! It’s beautiful, but in the end it looks just like the countless other white vinyl in my collection, so what was my point exactly? PLUS, the black pressing has considerably less pops and crackles and a much lower background/surface noise level than the white one.
    So, orange next then? ;)

Neonbeam and SoundDoctor like this.
  17. slop101

slop101 Guitar Geek

I have the orange vinyl (from UK), sounds great - very little noise.

18. Neonbeam

Don't forget the silver vinyl edition! :evil:

erowid likes this.
  19. japes

japes Senior Member

I just received the orange deluxe edition from Amazon; and to my disappointment, the oversized booklet is not saddle-stitched.

Has anyone else had this happen? There is no mention of this new “variation” anywhere on Discogs.

20. Veltri

Veltri ♪♫♫♪♪♫♫♪

Also similarly I'm Your Man invoking Leonard Cohen in the title and lyrics doesn't seem like a rip off.
    Along with Let's Dance (the title only rather than the lyrics) these two recently passed musicians must have been on his mind.

craigobau, munjeet and Oyster Boy like this.
  21. johnnyyen

johnnyyen Senior Member

Definitely. It’s taken me at least five listens, and now I’m hooked. The Morning After is just fantastic.

Big Swifty likes this.
  22. brownsound2112

brownsound2112 Forum Resident

....patiently waiting for U.K. tour dates.....

23. craigobau

craigobau Forum Resident

24. HeydayKilbey

HeydayKilbey Forum Resident

I'm assuming yours has staples like mine, and probably the rest of them. Saddle stitching uses staples most of the time, it doesn't have to use thread to still be considered saddle stitched.

25. luckycountry

luckycountry Forum Resident

The show in Brooklyn on Thursday was superb. Can you levitate while seated? I was getting close.

Does anyone know the current line-up? I know Doggen and Kev Bales, but who's on bass, keyboards and guitar?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.