Spiritualized : And Nothing Hurt (Sept. 7th)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by TheWarmth, Jun 11, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jarra Lad

Jarra Lad Forum Resident

I have this book although mine (purchased from Amazon UK in 2005) doesn't have the title Dreamweapon. Unforgivably, I still haven't read it!

2. luckycountry

luckycountry Forum Resident

I guess it's just "Spacemen 3 And The Birth Of Spiritualized"? Hope you enjoy it as much as I did.

3. Jarra Lad

Jarra Lad Forum Resident

Yes that's the title. Here's a picture.

[​IMG]

luckycountry likes this.
  4. HeydayKilbey

HeydayKilbey Forum Resident

Was lucky enough to go to the Los Angeles Orpheum show two nights ago. I'm still trying to process how amazing it was, just beautiful in every aspect. I've seen them on every tour except for Amazing Grace, first time was at the Whiskey in Hollywood. I've seen all the configurations, just rock band, band with small orchestra and choir, full orchestra and choir, just acoustic, you name it. This was just as good if not better than any other time I've seen them. I had sixth row just a little off center so my wife and I had a great view and got the full impact of it all.

I love how the set included something from every album. Hearing the new album in full was pretty special as well. The whole thing was just epic and as amazing as you would expect it to be, I had a permanent grin on my face the whole time and near tears several times, chills down my spine most of the time. It just doesn't get much better than spiritualized live, and with the full orch and choir it's nearly unbeatable if you ask me. It was so much more than just a rock concert, it's a full on theatrical production. I don't know how he gets this all set up, just the amount of work to put on a show like this astounds me, and for someone like Jason who is not exactly huge, to pull this off is just fantastic.

I never get posters at shows but when I saw the one they had, signed and individually numbered, I got#31 out of 50 available, I had to grab it. Frame shopping this weekend for sure!

5. luckycountry

luckycountry Forum Resident

Would you mind posting a photo of the poster? Would love to see it.

Glad you enjoyed the show. Brooklyn was definitely up there for me, and I think I've seen them about 20 times now. I saw some clips of the LA show and the mix seemed as good if not better than Brooklyn. I loved how loud in the mix the choir was. There were a few moments (especially during "On the Sunshine") where the choir was so frenzied and intense I never wanted it to stop. I really hope he has the resources to perform this album with the orchestra and choir on tour next year. I read he was making a loss on these two shows. It's just insane...

Rupe33 likes this.
  6. HeydayKilbey

Yeah I will try and take a picture tomorrow or on the weekend, pretty nice looking. Just him in the spacesuit, mostly his head I believe like the white shirt they were selling, and then has the two US dates on the bottom and his signature. The numbering is more like an etching, you can only see it in certain light which is kinda cool. I missed it and had to ask other people in line who just bought it if they had a number, some woman found it for us otherwise I might have never found it. I'm guessing they only did 50 at each show so if you didn't see it, it was probably already sold out. We got there pretty early and barely anyone was there yet, and we got #31, so they were going fast.

The mix was fantastic, everything was so clear sounding you could really hear every instrument. The choir was definitely up there in the mix and I agree, they were sublime. I've probably seen them about the same # of times and they still blow me away every time no matter who is on stage. My wife and I counted 28 people on stage at this show, unbelievable! Probably similar to the Ladies & Gents show from 3 years ago, and that was of course incredible as well. Good to see him looking good and having a good time, he doesn't say much, but you can tell he really appreciates the crowd and the band sharing the stage with him. I don't know how he can do these shows at a loss though, he's not made of money I wouldn't think! That's why I bought the overpriced shirt and the poster, which was fairly priced at $25, I felt I had to do my part to help him recoup some of the cost. That's what I told my wife at least :p

luckycountry likes this.
  7. brownsound2112

brownsound2112 Forum Resident

God, Im dying for a proper tour.

I bought a ltd lithograph at the L&G shows in 2009 - signed 'Spaceman' and numbered to 50 - framed and double mounted - I love it.

hutlock, Rupe33 and luckycountry like this.
  8. HeydayKilbey

OK I'm an idiot, how do you post photos? I tried using the Image icon to insert, and it asks for an image URL, which means nothing to me. I have a few photos saved as JPEGs on my computer, but don't know what the URL would be, and I don't even have a facebook account myself so can't upload them there to link to. I'm just not very tech savy at all, any advice on how to do this?

9. TheWarmth

TheWarmth Forum Resident Thread Starter

It's really great to hear positive reviews of these gigs. I know I have mentioned it before, but the last couple of Spiritualized shows I have seen have suffered from a pretty poor mix at the beginning of the show. Guess I'll be waiting until 2019 for a Chicago gig.

10. slop101

slop101 Guitar Geek

Try this site:
    Imgur: The magic of the Internet
    Click on the "new post" at the top of the page.

HeydayKilbey likes this.
  11. Lands End Drums

Lands End Drums Forum Resident

I was at the Orpheum show as well, still haven't picked my jaw up off the floor! Also have seen every LA area show they've played since way back at the Whiskey though I did miss them opening for Nick Cave and the Sweet Heart Sweet Light tour. Bought the poster as well, had no idea it was numbered. Already framed and on the wall! I can take a pic and post it later this evening after work.

Love the new album, like others, the first listen wasn't blown away, by the third listen "this is their best album since Let It Come Down! Hearing the entire album uninterrupted live? Absolute magic. My wife and I were kind of in a daze after the show, didn't really talk about it, then a few days later out of the blue "that Spiritualized show was really amazing, I can't stop thinking about it", she's always been a more passive music listener, this is a big reaction from her. :D

Big Swifty and craigobau like this.
  12. hutlock

hutlock Forever Breathing

So jealous of you getting a show. One more vote for a proper tour.

13. HeydayKilbey

14. HeydayKilbey

OK here is the signature better

[​IMG]

luckycountry, erowid and hutlock like this.
  15. HeydayKilbey

And finally a live shot:

[​IMG]

craigobau, Rupe33, hamicle and 3 others like this.
  16. BeardedSteven

BeardedSteven Forum Resident

Will be seeing them for the first time in March at the Big Ears festival in Knoxville. I had a ticket to see them in Cleveland in the 90s (the Odeon?) but couldn't go for a reason I can't remember. Still have the ticket stub! Big Ears is a cool festival. I'm eager to see if they announce anything special for it. Full orchestra or anything like that. But that does open the possibilities for more US shows in the spring!

hutlock likes this.
  17. HeydayKilbey

Yeah my wife and I were just discussing the show again yesterday, I still get chills just thinking about it. My wife does love spiritualized, but the joke is that she fell asleep at two different shows over the years! The funniest was at the Wiltern for Let It Come Down, they were playing Lord Can You Hear me, and my friend's wife was also asleep by the end. We both looked at each other as we knew the finale was coming, and boom when it kicked in they both jumped in their seats, we nearly pissed ourselves it was so amazing. She'll never live that one down but she did have a few drinks and didn't know them very well at that stage, so I'll let it slide :laugh: But this show she was fully awake and in awe the entire time. Yesterday she agreed that we had witnessed something pretty special.

I already framed my poster and hung it yesterday as well, looks amazing right above our turntable, pride of place for sure. Did you find the number on yours? It's just to the right of the signature, hard to see but if you look closely you'll find it. After getting this one my wife and I decided to look through a bunch of posters we had rolled up in tubes. We ended up framing 8 of our favorites and they're now up on other walls. I forgot I had two 11X17 LAGWAFIS promo posters, double sided, so we're going to get two frames and put those up next to each other as well. I also have a 15 inch round Pure Phase yellow sun on black background, now to find a round frame!

Lands End Drums and luckycountry like this.
  18. hutlock

hutlock Forever Breathing

I was at the Cleveland Odeon show! That was for Ladies and Gentlemen... great gig. Sorry you missed it!

BeardedSteven likes this.
  19. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

Found the Berlin gig last night slightly boring. And overlong. The songs sounded samey and Jason was seated for the whole show. Oh.... and the "Oh happy day" cover was downright cringeworthy.

Guess I'd rather listen to their records. :righton:

20. It's Felix

It's Felix It's not really me

Thats a shame. I saw them at the Barbican ages ago on the run through of Ladies and Gentlemen, that was good. But since them I think the idea of Spiritualized is better than the reality. Boring and samey. Now, Unknown Mortal Orchestra - 4 albums in - played 75 minutes of the hits, played innovatively and were absolutely brilliant last week

Neonbeam likes this.
  21. Lilmoxie

Lilmoxie Forum Resident

Jason has been sitting on the right side of the stage for at least a decade. He is more like a conductor these days. Still the best live band I have ever seen.

22. Lilmoxie

Lilmoxie Forum Resident

I have a bootleg of the 2018 Orpheum show that is outstanding. I wish I cold have seen a show so special with full choir and orchestra. This show gives me goosebumps.

23. Neonbeam

I honestly can't tell you if this was a bad night or if it was just me. But "best live band"? Well, I guess it's a matter of taste but definitely not for me.

24. slop101

slop101 Guitar Geek

Spiritualized is an amazing live bad... if you close your eyes for the whole show and just take in the sound/feels.
    Otherwise, it's nothing like a traditional rock show that might rely on spectacle and personality.
    They're kinda like the reverse KISS.

craigobau likes this.
  25. Neonbeam

Well.... actually a couple of people walked out. It was just like one (overlong) song. Beach House aren't doing much on stage either but they are deeply mesmerising.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.