Spiritualized : And Nothing Hurt (Sept. 7th)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by TheWarmth, Jun 11, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

www.jpc.de

2. Maurice

Maurice Senior Member

SHSL is actually my favorite Spiritualised album these days, I definitely listen to it much more frequently than any of their others. FWIW, I’d highly recommend seeking out the Japanese edition of SHSL. It’s one of the rare instances where the addition of bonus tracks vastly improves the album’s listening experience IMHO. With this version, the absolutely wonderful So Long You Pretty Thing leads directly into a sublime, organ-driven cover of Daniel Johnston’s True Love Will Find You In The End followed up by the beautiful instrumental Huh (Outro) which serves as a musical bookend to the opening Huh (Intro) and closes the album like the credits rolling in a great movie. The two extra tracks fit in so well with the pace of the rest of the album that I can’t help but wonder if this wasn’t supposed to be the album’s original running order.

3. TheWarmth

TheWarmth Forum Resident Thread Starter

I actually do have the Japanese version and I like the DJ cover. My gut feeling is that the new album will be superior to the last two. The production is a big improvement over SHSL, based on the first two tracks.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2018
  4. nyarlathotep

nyarlathotep Mr. Somewhere

5. TheWarmth

6. CaseyJames

CaseyJames Relaxed Fit Jeans Vibe

Seems like record stores will have a white vinyl version available, for those interested.

7. brownsound2112

brownsound2112 Forum Resident

The show at Hammersmith is with full orchestra and choir! Wish I could be at that one...

8. Maggie

Maggie like a walking, talking art show

I do not understand the notion that latter-day Spiritualized records are "safe." It's not like he's bringing in MikeWillMadeIt to do trap beats.

Nothing would have been safer for Spiritualized, as far as their original fan base was concerned, than doing five more Pure Phases.

9. KeninDC

KeninDC Hazy Cosmic Jive

10. stoneknuckle

stoneknuckle Forum Resident

Initial reaction upon listening to the stream is too much going on in some of the songs...but I realize that Spiritualized records take a while to sink in, so I may end up really digging it, but for now I'm not feeling like hitting repeat on any of the tracks. The first two songs are my favorites so far.

11. Echoes71

Echoes71 Forum Resident

After 1.5 listens, I think this may end up being my favorite since Let It Come Down. Final two songs, in particular, are spectacular. I also really liked “Damaged”. Spaceman isn’t necessarily breaking any new ground with this album, but all of the Spiritualized tropes are done really well here.

Rolltide and Maggie like this.
  12. TheWarmth

"Let's Dance" and "The Prize" are both incredible. I can't wait for my vinyl copy to arrive.

Alien Ache likes this.
  13. TheSeldomSeenKid

TheSeldomSeenKid Forum Resident

That is all I need to know to be stoked for this Album. I was going to not listen to the stream and wait to buy a physical copy, but decided that I am going to listen to it tonight or this weekend. Their last Album(Sweet Heart, Sweet Light) ranks among J-Spaceman's best-IMO. If this Album is just as good, I will be very happy.

Oyster Boy and Echoes71 like this.
  14. Echoes71

Echoes71 Forum Resident

If you like SHSL (which I do as well), then I think you’ll dig this one quite a bit. There’s even a song that appears to be a sort of “sequel” to “Hey Jane”...

Oyster Boy and TheSeldomSeenKid like this.
  15. robbow99

robbow99 Forum Resident

They are safe because he sounds tired, seems to have run out of interesting ideas, and it's just the same generic classic/psych rock tropes he keeps playing with. I don't want 5 more Pure Phases, and I don't think other fans of the earlier stuff do either. LGM, PP, and LAGWAFIS all sound different than each other. He kept pushing himself with those releases, and the results were exceptional. That same outlook and vision is totally missing from the new stuff. Doesn't surprise me that he's calling it quits after this one, even the recent live shows I saw were really lacking.

16. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

How long is Jason doing this? 1984? 1985? That's not being "safe", that's following your style! :righton:

BeardedSteven and Maggie like this.
  17. luckycountry

luckycountry Forum Resident

I'd like nothing more than new music from J. that offered even the faintest echo of LGM (which I think is pretty much a perfect album), but those days are long gone. He's older, and, one would suspect, much less chemically enhanced than he was in his 20s and 30s.

Crimson jon and marmalade166 like this.
  18. Tristero

Tristero In possession of the future tense

Is it fair to expect an artist to keep reinventing the wheel throughout their career? Some bands have one distinctive sound that they mine for all its worth and inevitably they end up repeating themselves to some extent as they refine that sound further. I'll admit that I reached a certain point after Let It Come Down where I got a bit burnt out on Jason's heartbroken space cadet thing, but after having taken a break from Spiritualized for a while, I feel like I'm ready to get back on board with the new album. Though they aren't boldly breaking new ground, I quite like the two tracks that I've heard so far, vintage Spiritualized.

19. TheWarmth

The songs are great and the album is produced well (better than SHSL, IMO). That's all the matters to me. I also think he has matured lyrically and ditched some of the tropes that he has relied on to the point of exhaustion in the past. He has said in interviews that he tried a number of different experimental approaches when recording this album, but they weren't serving the songs and he didn't want to be weird for the sake of being weird. I totally respect that.

Echoes71 and Oyster Boy like this.
  20. Alien Ache

Alien Ache Soul black vinyl to stop your tears

Let’s Dance is perfect.

If they've got Big Star on the radio they'll let us stay
    Oh, September girl
    Come and rule my world
    And dance

Can’t wait for the vinyl and keeping my fingers crossed for an expanded US tour...

Echoes71 likes this.
  21. TheWarmth

I just read on the Spiritualized forum that one member who lives in Kentucky received his vinyl boxset today.

22. TheWarmth

23. I got my box set today. I haven't listened yet but I'm not sure why this warranted a box. They could have just put it in a gatefold.

24. zwolo

zwolo Forum Resident

Just listened. Could be my favorite album this year. An achievement.

Echoes71 and Oyster Boy like this.
  25. lonelysea

lonelysea Ban Leaf Blowers

I’ll definitely pick this one up on Friday. Everyone could always use some Spiritualized in their life!

-runaway

Oyster Boy likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.