Springsteen BTR 30 - official

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by belardd, Sep 27, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. belardd

belardd Senior Member Thread Starter

THREE-DISC BTR ANNIVERSARY SET DUE NOV. 15
    Finally, the world is ready for the Born to Run 30th Anniversary reissue. Due on November 15, the box set will include three discs: "Hammersmith Odeon, London '75," an astonishing film of Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band's legendary 11/18/75 concert; the new documentary film "Wings For Wheels: The Making of Born To Run;" and the classic album in remastered CD form. With its two DVDs, the package offers approximately four hours of previously unseen footage. Personally supervised by Bruce Springsteen and Jon Landau, the set includes a 48 page booklet of previously unpublished photographs.

"I believe that the combination of the great 1975 concert footage, the brilliant documentary of the making of the album and the dazzling remastering of 'Born to Run' add up to a nearly perfect storm of Bruce's music," said longtime manager Jon Landau.

Spanning roughly two hours and ten minutes, the November 18, 1975 concert at London's Hammersmith Odeon finds an epic performance of sixteen Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band classics, including "Thunder Road," "Tenth Avenue Freeze Out," "Jungleland," and "Born To Run," as well as such other favorites such as "Kitty's Back" and "Rosalita." The multiple-camera film of the complete concert will be available in its entirety and its original sequence, as newly edited by Emmy Award Winner Thom Zimny. "Hammersmith Odeon, London '75" is the only full-length concert film ever released of Bruce and the E Street Band's first 25 years.

Zimny's production team painstakingly cleaned the original negatives and digitally restored the footage, ultimately presenting this indispensable concert in vibrant color and detail. Producer Bob Clearmountain remastered and remixed the DVD in both stereo and 5.1 surround sound. Zimny has worked with Springsteen on several projects, including editing the Emmy-winning "Live in New York," the quadruple-platinum certified, Emmy-nominated "Live in Barcelona" and the "VH1 Storytellers" films. Clearmountain is the legendary mixer who has often collaborated with Springsteen over the last twenty- five years, most famously on 'Born in the USA.'

The ninety-minute documentary "Wings For Wheels: The Making of Born To Run" chronicles the definitive story of the creation of 'Born To Run,' from songwriting to production and beyond. "Wings For Wheels" boasts archival film never shown publicly, including substantial footage of Springsteen and the E Street Band recording the album, 1975 concert film and other footage shot between 1973 and 1975. The film also features exclusive footage of Springsteen playing solo piano and guitar versions of songs from 'Born To Run.'

In addition, "Wings For Wheels" incorporates newly filmed interviews with Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, including former members who played on the album, as well as the production team. In newly shot footage from Asbury Park, NJ, Springsteen discusses his personal feelings about the making of the iconic album in great depth; the footage with Springsteen includes the musician reflecting on outtakes and unreleased tracks from the album for the first time since 1975. The DVD of "Wings For Wheels: The Making of Born to Run" ends with stunning bonus footage of three songs recorded live at Los Angeles' Ahmanson Theater in 1973: "Spirit In The Night," "Wild Billy's Circus Story" and "Thundercrack."

Finally, the box set will feature a CD of the newly remastered 'Born To Run,' as well as a remarkable 48-page photo album of previously unpublished photographs with an introduction written by Springsteen. This is the first time Springsteen has allowed any of his catalogue to be fully remastered and he enlisted his longtime mastering guru Bob Ludwig to handle the job. The newly remastered version presents the masterpiece with striking clarity and presence. Widely regarded as one of the cornerstone albums in rock and roll history, 'Born To Run' has been recognized by many international polls as one of the greatest albums of all time. It has sold nearly nine million albums worldwide. Of 'Born To Run,' which was originally released August 25, 1975, Rolling Stone wrote, "It is a magnificent album that pays off on every bet ever placed on him... and it should crack his future wide open."

Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band: "Hammersmith Odeon, London '75" Track Listing

1. Thunder Road
    2. Tenth Avenue Freeze Out
    3. Spirit In The Night
    4. Lost In The Flood
    5. She's The One
    6. Born To Run
    7. The E Street Shuffle/Having A Party
    8. It's Hard To Be A Saint In The City
    9. Backstreets
    10. Kitty's Back
    11. Jungleland
    12. Rosalita
    13. 4th Of July Asbury Park (Sandy)
    14. Detroit Medley
    15. For You
    16. Quarter To Three

"Wings For Wheels: The Making of Born To Run" Interview List

1. Bruce Springsteen
    2. Roy Bittan
    3. Ernest "Boom" Carter
    4. Clarence Clemons
    5. Danny Federici
    6. Nils Lofgren
    7. David Sancious
    8. Patti Scialfa
    9. Garry Tallent
    10. Stevie Van Zandt
    11. Max Weinberg
    12. Jon Landau
    13. Jimmy Iovine
    14. Mike Appel
    15. Eric Meola
    - September 27, 2005

2. Dave D

Dave D Done!

So no hi rez. Phooey

3. dwmann

dwmann Well-Known Member

Even without high rez, I'm ecstatic about this.

4. PMC7027

PMC7027 Forum Hall Of Fame

I wish the Hammersmith Odeon London '75 was a CD rather than a DVD.

I generally do not watch music DVDs, so unless I personally transfer he DVD's audio to CD this package only offers me a remastered CD. I have the Classic Records LP of 'Born To Run' so I don't even know if the need the remastered CD.

5. Chris Desjardin

Chris Desjardin Senior Member

Yeah, the Classic Records version, played on a good system, is awesome! Blows away any Cd issue I've ever heard.

6. Gregory Earl

Gregory Earl Senior Member

Springsteen on Classic?

Oh...I don't believe I bought it. Forgot they did that one.

7. I'm more excited about the two DVDs, especially the live one, than I am for the remastered cd. All in all however, I'm really looking forward to this package!

8. GuyDon

GuyDon Senior Member

I am really looking forward to this. My only complaint, and it is a minor one since we're getting the Hammersmith dvd, is that a disc of outtakes is not included. This would have been a great place to include the acoustic Thunder Road, string versions of Backstreets and Jungleland along with the alternates of She's The One (with different lyrics) and Born to Run.

9. BZync

BZync Senior Member

I have a few shows on CD and they are very exciting to listen to. But Springsteen is such a visual performer. The inclusion of a DVD makes it go from exciting to thrilling for me. Especially that it's a full length show. He's so good at buidling the excitement during a performance. I, for one, can't wait.

Now, if they do the same CD plus full length concert DVD package for Darkness On The Edge of Town & The River....I'll be in heaven.

10. Ski Bum

Ski Bum Happy Audiophile

I have an exercise bike in the back of my dedicated listening room. Music DVDs are great entertainment while on the exercise bike, and Springsteen is the VERY BEST for an aerobic workout. You get really engrossed in the concert and forget about the pain you are enduring on the exercise bike. I've watched Live in Barcelona countless times. I'm really looking forward to the Hammersmith DVD.

I'm sorry there's no hi rez disc, but it is certainly no surprise. I have the Classic Records LP version of BTR and it is the best that I have heard of the full LP, but it is simply not great (the bass line on She's the One gets particularly muddy). OTOH, side 1 of the recent Greatest Hits compilation contains Thunder Road and Born to Run, together with Badlands and The River. (Greatest Hits contains two LPs but side 1 is the only side with BTR material on it.) It has been remastered (by Bob Ludwig I think) and IMO sounds better than the Classic version's cuts of TR and BTR.

11. Bruce

Bruce Senior Member

I am so excited about this,I can hardly sit still as I type this at work...

12. Larry Geller

Larry Geller Surround sound lunatic

More evidence of the death of SACD. :mad:

13. CM Wolff

CM Wolff Senior Member

What, no personal invitations for private performances by Bruce of the complete Born to Run for the first 1,000 purchasers??!! Man, I hate these slapdash reissues. Couldn't they go the extra mile?

;)

14. :laugh:

Who handled the CD remaster? We can only hope it's Vic Anasini. :)

15. Craig

Craig (unspecified) Staff

I can't wait for the Darkness anniversary release with a complete '78 show. :edthumbs:

16. Danny

Danny Forum Resident

Don't tease us Craig. :tsk:

17. eelkiller

eelkiller One of the great unwashed

Beggars can't be choosers I guess. As stated earlier if Vic Anesini mastered this CD should be excellent.

:agree: Lets not make it a 30 year anniversary though. That way we can get it sooner ;)

18. OberonOz

OberonOz Senior Member

The article at the start of the thread states that it was Bob Ludwig who handled the CD remastering.

Steve

19. ivan_wemple

ivan_wemple Senior Member

I'm personally disappointed that this set is so video-centric. I'd be more excited if this package only contained a properly-mastered redbook CD with some outtakes.
    :thumbsdn: :thumbsdn: :thumbsdn: :thumbsdn: :thumbsdn:
    But congrats anyway to the Springsteen fanatics who are pleased with this news.

-Ivan

20. eelkiller

eelkiller One of the great unwashed

He did the "Essential" set and it sounds pretty good (IMO) so lets hope BTR is of the same quality.

21. Dean De Furia

Dean De Furia Senior Member

I was hoping for the original album in 5.1............

22. aceman400

aceman400 Power to the Metal

Are you kidding? Joshua Bell is single handedly saving the format :winkgrin:

23. PMC7027

PMC7027 Forum Hall Of Fame

Yes they did, on 180 gram vinyl quite a few years ago.

24. RDK

RDK Active Member

Very exciting! Looking forward to the vids!

:goodie:

25. teaser5

teaser5 Cool Rockin' Daddy

My first Boss concert was just over thirty years ago (6/75) and almost fifty shows later I am obviously very pumped about this news. I have had a boot of the Hammersmith show (and many other 75 gigs) for some time but the DVD is a treat for me. Can't wait!
    Thanks!
    Peace-
    Norm

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.