Bruce Springsteen - Live Archive Releases

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Chris S., Aug 24, 2015.

1. markbrow

markbrow Forum President

Magic tour skipped my market, something that hasn't happened since 1975. Fortunately some great recordings exist.

2. aforchione

aforchione Forum Resident

He did release a 75 show from Philly that has a great version of Its My Life.

Heart of Gold likes this.
  3. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

I always assumed the fall 2007 shows were short (by Bruce standards) due to Danny's illness - has this ever been "officially confirmed"?

4. Oatsdad

I still have nightmares sometimes! :laugh:

14 extended "10 Avenue" performances and 30 extended takes on "Mary's Place" - how have I retained any semblance of sanity??? :D

harmonica98 likes this.
  5. bobcat

bobcat Forum Resident

Horrible mastering, unfortunately.

6. JAuz

JAuz Forum Resident

Tweet from Backstreets Magazine today:

1977: Coming Friday, August 4, @springsteen releases live recordings made in Albany (Feb. 7) and Rochester (Feb. 8). @nugsnet #1977

Brad Serling was also on E Street Radio talking about this release today. Even though this is not from a multi-track, it's great news for many reasons:

- it's a 1977 show!
    - there's no known circulating audio of Albany, according to Brucebase
    - it opens up the possibility to release other full band shows that were not recorded on multi-track

7. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

Great news. They have been sitting on a '77 show all this time, and instead were releasing shows from '08, '09, '12, and '13.

8. uncle

uncle Senior Member

These shows are mono cassette board recordings made by the live engineer as reference tapes. The 8th is a complete show while the 7th is only the first 45 minutes so will be added as a bonus to the 8th show.

They have 3 other shows from the same sources. No stereo boards or multi-tracks exist from 1977.

They will be releasing a new archive show on the first Friday of every month. They have 25 already approved for release covering all eras of Bruce live shows.

9. GLUDFSSR

GLUDFSSR Senior Member

Audience Recording or partial board recordings from both shows.
    Could be very good

10. uncle

uncle Senior Member

They just got the shows from the engineer. They were sitting in his basement or something and just sent them back to Bruce Inc. JA is currently working on the 77 shows right now for the Friday release.

dee likes this.
  11. walrus

walrus Staring into nothing

The early Rising shows were also (comparatively) short, as were early Wrecking Ball shows. Nothing to do with Danny, just a pattern of the reunion era. He starts major new album tours playing huge chunks of the new LP balanced with old stuff in a very specific, meticulous order without much deviation for the first few weeks/months, and gradually things start to get more fun as tours go on.

12. budwhite

budwhite Climb the mountains and get their good tidings.

Thanks for the info! I love '77 so this should be pretty good..maybe? Springsteen SDBs from the 70 isn't usually that good but one can hope this one is

13. uncle

uncle Senior Member

They played Action in the Street and the working version of Something in the Night from the upcoming release on the show. However it was the unmastered versions direct from the cassette before Alschiller worked on them. He is working on them right now for the Friday release.

They sounded ok. similar to the audio from the 1978 Houston show from the darkness boxset. Certainly not official live album sound.

dee likes this.
  14. picassoson

picassoson Forum Resident

Glad we're getting this, but it blows my mind that after all these years and multiple reissue programs we STILL don't have a complete 1978 show from multi-track.

Jimmy B., andrewskyDE and budwhite like this.
  15. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

Well, this will fill in a gap for many of us. Horn section, and Bruce gets to play Sam Moore. Plus Action, Don't Look Back, etc.
    In the days when my tastes were more unrefined, even crappy audience tapes from this tour were like manna.
    For years, people 'out there' have been presenting "best quality" on 77 shows and now this will put all that to rest.
    Can't wait for people to chime in and say how the quality isn't on a par with the shows form the last 10 years.

budwhite likes this.
  16. bobcat

bobcat Forum Resident

Let's hope the mastering is not too hot this time.

dee and budwhite like this.
  17. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

very true!

dee and bobcat like this.
  18. bobcat

bobcat Forum Resident

I think the more recent archival ones were better.

Hopefully, they learned their lesson after the abysmal job they did on the 1975 one.

19. marcb

marcb Senior Member

Also opens up the certainty of complaints about the sound quality...

20. posnera

posnera Forum Resident

If the sound is good, this is a great release!

dee and bobcat like this.
  21. ToddH

ToddH Forum Resident

I have a boot named soul crusaders from toronto in 77. I have always loved it. It was one of those shows he played while dealing with all the mike appel stuff. I think the boot has a number of different names but the one I bought in a record store years ago is named soul crusaders. I wish there was a record store that still sold springsteen boots! I used to love going in and seeing which shows they had.

One of my favorite things about those era shows is its my life and the opening story about his house. I went on a mini springsteen tour through freehold and belmar a few weeks ago and went to the house he is talking about in the intro and it was just awesome to be there.

anyway I look forward to hearing these releases.

GMfan87', dee and budwhite like this.
  22. Oatsdad

The fall 2007 shows tended to be around 2:20 - how long were the early 2002 and 2012 shows? I'm sure they were longer.

I attended the 1st show of the 2002 tour and went to a rehearsal in 2007. I felt shocked at how short the 2007 show was and figured it was shorter than usual because it was a rehearsal - nope. The regular shows were "short for Bruce", too.

I had no such "show's over already?" reaction in 2002 or 2012...

23. JohnB

JohnB Senior Member

I'd be thrilled with anything that's a step up in sound quality for a '77 show. Very happy to see this release.

24. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

Naturally. And on some level it is understandable; the Springsteen camp is sitting on multitracked concerts from the 1970's, so it will not be surprising to hear complaints because the ability exists for the Springsteen camp to release great sounding concert releases from the 1970's era.

25. walrus

walrus Staring into nothing

My bootleg of the Atlanta Wrecking Ball show, which was the first real show of the tour, clocks in at 2:32. The Rising shows were around 2:20-2:30, generally. 22-songs, or close to it.

I love watching Bruce do these marathon gigs, because there's so many songs I'm hoping to hear. But I don't ever recall leaving a show, even a 2 1/2 hour one, and feeling like I was missing out on something just because the show was under 3 hours. (It helps that I really liked the Magic record, and enjoyed the freshness of the Wrecking Ball stuff when he was playing it all live for the first time.)