Bruce Springsteen - Live Archive Releases

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Chris S., Aug 24, 2015.

1. uncle

uncle Senior Member

Funny hearing all the complete polar opposite opinions on the new mix on this and other sites. Depending on the site, most either love it and think it is preferred to Clearmountain's mix, and on others is it the same ratio with preferring the original Clearmountain mix. I just find that so weird and interesting.

Personally I think Bob Clearmountain is usually the gold standard when it comes to Bruce and his live stuff but for some reason I never liked the LINYC mix at all. I never connected to it and didn't like listening to it as it wasn't pleasant sounding. Sounded hard and brittle. The vocals sounded distorted and it just sounded off to me. I do prefer Althschiller's mix on this show although he has his own choices which I may not make in the same situation (low guitars, audience mix), but overall I honestly think the new mix is much more "listenable" for lack of a better term.

2. stevelucille

stevelucille Forum Resident

It's strange that these mixes have the guitars low in the mix. Anybody who saw a live show from the 70s up to recent times will tell you that the guitars were always VERY loud. And Springsteen obviously was very concerned about the sound in the venue. Probably more involved on a nightly basis than most.

budwhite likes this.
  3. Jimmy B.

Jimmy B. Be yourself or don't bother. Anti-fascism.

No,
    it's not a stupid comment;
    Altschiller's mixes suck. (excepting the acoustic ones)
    It's not my problem if you accept anything that is put out by Bruce Inc. as perfect. That guy ruins the shows with his mixes.

budwhite likes this.
  4. Johan1880

Johan1880 Forum Resident

Here one can compare a Clearmountain mix to the latest Altschiller mix:

5. Johan1880

Johan1880 Forum Resident

from 1:51:00 -->

6. Irrelevant example.Altschiller had nothing to do with the disaster that is Rome 2013.Matter of fact it was probably this release that got Toby Scott relieved of duties mixing E St archival releases.
    As for the more guitar complaint there is an element of E St fans that wouldn't be happy until the E St Band was mixed to sound like the Stones or Thin Lizzy.As for the louder audience requests surely no one wants mixed up to the level it was on the Barcelona DVD.The only release where this was a real issue was Christic and they were limited by the soundboard tape they had to use.
    Maybe the Altschiller bashers ought to pop over to Backstreets and see what percentage agree with them.
    I am not "a will accept everything Inc put out "person.2014,Nassau and Rome are examples where they stuffed up.The work of Altschiller has generally been outstanding.

Carserguev likes this.
  7. YMC4

YMC4 EVthing or Nothing

i just had to do some 'impulse purchase' while reading this thread...damn you guys ~~
    i bought both '77 shows + Belfast '96...it's been a while since i bought any (last one was '88 LA) but...just had the urge (damn you again ~!~).
    listening to Belfast as i type this....it does feel bit over-priced but then again i use to pay double (at least) for bootlegs so...and it sure does sound good !

budwhite likes this.
  8. budwhite

budwhite Climb the mountains and get their good tidings.

They are a guitar band of some sort. Why else use two guitars live since '75 and three/four since '99. Mixing the E street bands guitars so low for the home market aint right.

I know many would like a mix where everything gels better. Up with the guitars and lower the keys and drums a bit and it should be alright

dee likes this.
  9. Johan1880

Johan1880 Forum Resident

My bad, I thought Altschiller was hired for the 2nd attempt to mix Rome 2013 but I was wrong.

10. INSW

INSW Senior Member

The guitars are still mixed too low, but as I've said many times I look at these things as bootlegs and as bootlegs they're okay.

Thankfully for his loved ones they edited out Clarence's massive belly flop on the Bobby Jean solo.

11. budwhite

budwhite Climb the mountains and get their good tidings.

Probably lifted from another show? Or maybe Clarence did the overdub when they prepared HBO/Live in NYC

12. INSW

INSW Senior Member

I'll have to a/b them but it sounds like the final 10 second squonk was just taken out.

13. enfield

enfield Forum Resident

Sorry if this has been discussed before but couldn't find the answer during a search.|Which Live Springsteen CD's have the best sound quality? Also which Springsteen studio albums have the best sound quality.
    Thanks in advance.

14. dee

dee Senior Member

I like the cd's of his Hammersmith Odeon 1975 concert. Haven't listened to it since a few years ago though.

OptimisticGoat and enfield like this.
  15. The Punisher

The Punisher Well-Known Member

Next Friday Nov 3rd release will be from the Count Basie Theater March 23 1993. Cheers :)

FourWalledWorld likes this.
  16. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

Does This Bus Stop At 82nd Street, I Ain't Got No Home, This Hard Land, Better Days, Local Hero, Viva Las Vegas, All The Way Home, Tougher Than The Rest, Point Blank, When You're Alone, Human Touch, Because The Night, Achy Breaky Heart, Blinded By The Light, My Hometown, The Promised Land, Leap of Faith, Man's Job, Roll Of The Dice, Bobby Jean,
    Glory Days, My Beautiful Reward, Janey Don't You Lose Heart

O joy--Achy Breaky Heart...........:sigh:

Seriously, I've never heard a bad live version of Roll of the Dice (though All or Nothing At All was better)

17. SoundAdvice

SoundAdvice Senior Member

High quality audience tape for Christic exists, fans have made a new matrix of the Nugs with the audience added back in.

18. ragged company

ragged company Forum Resident

Wonder what version of All the Way Home this is. Slow version as recorded by SSJ, or a sped up version as recorded for Devils & Dust.

19. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

Nice to see something from 1993, but would have liked to have seen a full-band show released from that much maligned period.

Martin Byrne likes this.
  20. FourWalledWorld

FourWalledWorld Forum Resident

Excellent news. I was starting to think we'd never see anything from 92/93.

21. INSW

INSW Senior Member

This is the only show I'm interested in from the Mistake Years, and the bootleg sounds terrible, so thumbs up.

22. teodoro

teodoro Forum Resident

How can you know that?

23. teodoro

teodoro Forum Resident

That DD version did not exist back then, so...

24. nuclear_error

nuclear_error Forum Resident

I found the 99 tour to be lifeless, for lack of a better word. I saw him on that tour and other than a white hot version of Murder Incorporated, it was hopelessly mediocre. I also agree that on subsequent tours they definitely got their mojo back. I think sometimes the Boss weighs himself down with trying to be important and his performances come across as forced. I think in 99 he was really trying to recapture his relevance and his shows suffered as a result.
    I also think the looseness of the Seeger Sessions tour went a long way to put the joy back in his live shows.

ragged company and budwhite like this.
  25. JAuz

JAuz Forum Resident

Last edited: Nov 3, 2017
    Nosferatuz, dee, Sean Murdock and 4 others like this.