Bruce Springsteen - Live Archive Releases

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Chris S., Aug 24, 2015.

1. windfall

windfall Senior Member

77 would be very cool

Efus likes this.
  2. Partyslammer

Partyslammer Lord Of The New Church

I really want the '78 Roxy and the '81 Vietnam Vets Sports Arena (my first Springsteen concert) shows.

3. walrus

walrus Staring into nothing

I'd love something from the early part of the Magic tour when he played most of the record live.

Turbo2k, Efus, markbrow and 5 others like this.
  4. musicdav24

musicdav24 Forum Resident

I'm in the camp of "any official live Bruce release is a blessing"!

Love love love all of these, regardless of the tour. Yes, I would love to see more vintage and older tours released, but they will come inevitably. These more recent shows still are amazing and am enjoying every second of them!!

5. Adam Bosman

Adam Bosman Forum Resident

Same here. I long for older era shows, but am thrilled with anything we get.

6. JohnB

JohnB Senior Member

The' 81 Vets show would be tops on my list. Like you, it was my first Springsteen concert, the first concert I ever attended by anybody in fact.

I'm happy we are getting any shows officially. For many years I spent countless hours of driving around Southern California and thousands of dollars on "unofficial" releases, many of them Bruce shows, and some in barely listenable sound quality. So to have the luxury of sitting at home and dropping less than a twenty spot on good to very good sounding shows... Yes please!

That said, sure there are numerous mostly older Springsteen shows I'd prefer to see released before this latest one, but I don't know exactly what they have to work with in the vaults.

Brian Frazier, daveidmarx and Jacline like this.
  7. Darryl D.

Darryl D. Forum Resident

Check out this release form Amazon (Great Britian): The Complete 1978 Radio Broadcasts (15 CD Box Set): Amazon.co.uk: Music

This release consists of 5 complete shows from 1978 including The Roxy, The Agora, Capitol Theatre, Fox Theatre and Winterland shows. All five shows were broadcast on FM radio, and these are those broadcasts, including DJ lead-ins and station call letters. The set comes in a master box and each show is spread over three discs, so it is a 15 disc set! These are not CD-R discs. They are the real thing.

This set is not perfect. I found a couple of mistakes on the track info printed on the sleeves. But all-in-all, this is one of the greatest values I've ever seen. Five shows, FM broadcast quality, for about $ 21.00 including shipping! It took about three weeks for me to receive the order, but it was still a fantastic deal. I recommend this set to anyone who loves The Boss.

OptimisticGoat and Chris S. like this.
  8. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

I agree that we do look like whiners to some degree - 10 years ago, if you had told us Bruce would open the vaults like this, no one would've believed you.

Still, fans gotta fan, y'know! :)

9. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

The '78 Roxy show is probably one of this top five or ten concerts of all-time. It should have been released by now, either via a Sony release or through the archives series. All the boots are sourced from radio tapings, none are from pre-FM tapes or other sources.

Jacline and markbrow like this.
  10. Splungeworthy

Splungeworthy Forum Rezidentura

If these kinds of releases had been put out to brick and mortar record stores 20 years ago, at least in my neck of the woods, there would have been lines around the block. Look what happened when they put out the one and only box set-mass hysteria. Now imagine that every couple of months.

Jacline likes this.
  11. markbrow

markbrow Forum President

Yer killin' me. Roxy '78 is my favorite of all the broadcasts, and as I've said repeatedly, I'd love to have it in a 5.1 mix so that it actually feels like you're in that 400-seat club. The multitracks exist, of course, because they were used on the live box. No excuse not to give us that.

My first show was the beginning of the River tour and then two nights during the Vietnam Vets stand - unfortunately, those two nights were not the actual Vietnam Vet night. Still...I got to see Tom Waits.

budwhite, dee, JohnB and 1 other person like this.
  12. markbrow

markbrow Forum President

Yep. I'm looking at the new show thinking I'd love to hear a few of the songs, but the majority I'd skip because I really, really don't need another Badlands.

dee and PacificOceanBlue like this.
  13. dprokopy

dprokopy Senior Member

It's good that they finally realize what the fans actually want. I love Bruce, don't get me wrong, but all these recent ones are kind of a snore.

14. PacificOceanBlue

I was very surprised that The Roxy concert (or Winterland or Passaic) was not included as part of the Darkness box set. The "Houston bootleg" was a neat concept and archival offering, but not in place of a professionally recorded, multitracked, mixed, and mastered show like The Roxy.

15. posnera

posnera Forum Resident

I keep getting the sense that they are holding on to their "best" stuff to be released later, but as the Grateful Dead will tell you, sometimes your cards ain't worth a dime if you don't lay em down.

Then again, a new live box set, 1 show from 75,78,80-81,84-85 and 88 could sell pretty well. 12-15 discs, $150-200? I'd buy that, if it is properly mixed, before spending $20 on any show from after Devils and Dust.

16. markbrow

markbrow Forum President

I posted almost that exact comment at Backstreets at the time and was shut down with a bunch of people SCREAMING that getting the unreleased Houston was better than anything already out there...go figure.

17. posnera

posnera Forum Resident

I can see the argument for using a previously unknown show, especially with video.

markbrow and dee like this.
  18. JohnB

JohnB Senior Member

What, no '76-' 77? Those are some of his most interesting and least represented (on bootleg or anywhere for that matter) shows. I'd kill for a great sounding official release of a full show from '76 or ' 77.

Jacline likes this.
  19. Are there any '77 soundboards? I thought they just had a couple of mics on stands by the soundboard. The boots I have from early 77 all sound like that. I hope I'm wrong, I'd love a 77 board tape to be next.

dee likes this.
  20. marmil

marmil It's such a long story...

There's the Palladium NYC b'cast from 11/76 which sounds pretty good to me (and I was there).

budwhite and kevywevy like this.
  21. Jerryb

Jerryb Senior Member

I'm pretty sure I was at this show too.

budwhite likes this.
  22. posnera

posnera Forum Resident

Didn't know there was a "good" quality source for a 76-77 show.

Add in a 74 and split it into two boxes!
    74, 75, 76-77, 78
    80-81, 84, 88

Get them ready for Nov/Dec holiday season over 2 years.

OptimisticGoat and budwhite like this.
  23. Harold R

Harold R Forum Resident

The '88 Stockholm show is really good in sound and performance.

dee likes this.
  24. PacificOceanBlue

I would imagine that the entire show will be released as part of the archives series at some point.

J_D__ likes this.
  25. marmil

marmil It's such a long story...

It was the "bomb scare" show, with Ronnie Spector.