Springsteen: Rethinking The "18 Tracks" Concept

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by PacificOceanBlue, Jul 5, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member Thread Starter

"18 Tracks" was an interesting concept that was not as well executed as it could have been, but it served a purpose in that it offered consumers and casual fans an introduction and a way to test and explore Springsteen's archival material without having to acquire an expansive box set.

Eighteen years later after "Tracks" was released, a number of archival related Springsteen sets have been released. I think it would be interesting to see a new single disc compilation (80 minutes) designed to introduce listeners to the Springsteen archives and non-traditional album tracks.

I put the following song sequencing together, and it was quite difficult paring it down to 80 minutes, ultimately having to omit some great tracks.

The Fever [18 Tracks]
    Racing In The Street ('78) [The Promise]
    City of Night [The Promise]
    The Way [The Promise]
    Iceman [Tracks]
    The Promise [The Promise]
    The Man Who Got Away [TTTB]
    Loose Ends [TTTB]
    Cindy [TTTB]
    Night Fire [TTTB]
    Stolen Car [TTTB]
    Born In The USA [Tracks]
    The Big Payback [Essential]
    Murder Incorporated [Greatest Hits]
    This Hard Land [Tracks]
    Shut Out The Light [Tracks]
    Frankie [Tracks]
    Two For The Road [Tracks]
    Lucky Man [Tracks]

Anyone else have any track-listing ideas?

2. Squealy

Squealy Forum Hall Of Fame

I would suggest not using space on alternative versions of songs from the albums.

FJFP, George P and Billy Infinity like this.
  3. CMG

CMG Member

I agree w/ not using alternate versions of album tracks. I like the concept, my track listing would be different but it would definitely take a while to come up with. I can guarantee I would include "Stand on It" though. Always really loved that little track for some reason. But yeah that list you have posted would make for a great listen for sure.

chickendinna likes this.
  4. Davido

Davido ...assign someone to butter your muffin?

I like a deep cuts compilation, but Born in the USA sticks out like a sore thumb since it was a big single and all the other songs are obscure or somewhat rare. Perhaps if you put on the original acoustic "Vietnam" instead...

Matthew Tate likes this.
  5. In keeping with the spirit of the original 18 Tracks I would suggest they put on 2 unreleased tracks that fans really want(maybe something from the E St Band Nebraska sessions) so that can gouge fans into buying the same stuff all over again.

6. aoxomoxoa

aoxomoxoa I'm an ear sitting in the sky

You cant leave out "My Love Will Not Let You Down". I would put "Cynthia" on it too.

7. The version he's suggesting is the acoustic version. It's quite different from the album version and holds up well.

Brett44, Dodoz, Matthew Tate and 5 others like this.
  8. Davido

Davido ...assign someone to butter your muffin?

Ah, never mind then. The version of "Stolen Car" on The River is better than the bloated version on TTTB though...

bonzo59 and Matthew Tate like this.
  9. BobFever

BobFever Forum Resident

About the only one I'd swap is "Stolen Car" for the rare B-Side "30 Days Out". Not sure why that never made it onto "Tracks".... If going strictly by archival, then I agree with this list.

10. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member Thread Starter

Love that b-side, definitely a glaring omission from Tracks, particularly considering almost the entire 4th disc was from the early-1990's Human Touch/Lucky Town era.

I wanted to include a couple of songs from that period, such as Sad Eyes, Leavin' Train, and even 30 Days Out, but with the track-listing restricted to 80 minutes, I couldn't make it work.

BobFever and Matthew Tate like this.
  11. GLUDFSSR

GLUDFSSR Senior Member

Where is "Roulette "
    This is a must.

12. One of my fav Springsteen songs and it hasn't been over exposed or over played

13. mikeja75

mikeja75 Forum Resident

I've been thinking about something similar lately and I came up with a list that doesn't follow your rules completely, but it's close.

Being a teenager when Bruce hit it big in 1984/1985, I remember sending away for tapes of outtakes and asking the guy at the local record store if I could see the box of records that he kept behind the counter. I can tell you that any Bruce fan really has been completely spoiled the past 20 years or so...especially when I think back the absolute drought that we all lived through from 1988 to 1992. That was painful...

So I put together a compilation of tracks that largely were known or circulated in the mid to late '80s...it's 18 Tracks of songs that would have blown the mind of my 15 year old self.

It's not the best of the best, but it would have made a great double album, say in 1986...

The Fever (18 Tracks)
    Santa Ana (Tracks)
    Seaside Bar Song (Tracks)
    The Promise (The Promise)
    Fire (The Promise)
    Because The Night (The Promise)
    The Iceman (Tracks)
    Hearts of Stone (Tracks)
    Roulette (Tracks)
    I Wanna Be With You (Tracks)
    Ricky Wants a Man Of Her Own (Tracks)
    Where the Bands Are (Tracks)
    Loose Ends (The Ties That Bind mix -- NOT Tracks)
    Born in the USA (Acoustic - Nebraska) (Tracks...but let's include the unreleased mix with the electric guitar overdub)
    My Love Will Not Let You Down (Tracks)
    This Hard Land (Tracks)
    Murder, Inc. (Greatest Hits/Essential 2.0)
    Frankie (Tracks)

78:56

I realize that not all of these tracks were likely fully finished at the time, but for this exercise I don't care.

It's also unfortunate that there's really nothing (short of the acoustic 'Thunder Road' which remains unreleased) from Born To Run that can bridge the gap between the early material and the Darkness tracks ("Linda Let Me Be The One" is pretty lousy, imo). That's why I included 'The Promise' -- it has the call back to Thunder Road and moves the compilation on into the meat of Darkness, The River, and USA. I almost thought of pulling a 'Greatest Hits '95' and leaving off the three outtakes from the second album, but they need to be there.

Like the OP mentioned, there were a number of well known tracks that I had to leave off in order to keep it under 80 minutes: "None But the Brave", "Rendevzous", "Don't Look Back", "Thundercrack", "Stolen Car (alt)"...

Once the Nebraska and USA box sets are released (hopefully sooner than later), I've thought of making a two disc set of all of the great outtakes and alternates that I listened to muddy verisons of when I was a kid. Kind of a gift to my younger self -- 30+ years after the fact.

I'd really love to be able to include a few Electric Nebraska tracks, "Sugarland", "Follow That Dream", "(Drop On Down and) Cover Me", "Protection"...there's still a ton of tracks from USA that are essential. I'd also like to see "None But the Brave" get a bit of a remix on the USA box to better mirror the old bootleg mix. I love the song, but I find the Essential version a tough listen.

Oh, and on this set that I eventually make...I'm definitely including the acoust "Thunder Road" since I'm pretty sure that it won't see the light of day officially any time soon (if they can even find the tapes).

Great thread...

Last edited: Jul 6, 2017
  14. maccawings

maccawings Senior Member

It's a complete waste of time to give us what we already have!! There is plenty in the vaults to create an 18 Tracks 2

15. Billy Infinity

Billy Infinity Beloved aunt

The OP is simply suggesting an updated version of 18 Tracks for newer fans who wish to dip their toes beyond the well-worn studio albums. I for one think it's a great idea.

16. maccawings

maccawings Senior Member

While I understand the premise. It's a complete waste of a release when we could be getting a new album or something from the vaults that we don't have. Especially when you consider that Tracks and 18 Tracks are still available in mass on Amazon, ITunes, And just about every other market

You can tweak the release any way you want, but narrowing it down to 18 will always be leaving great tracks off.....you can go to ITunes and buy and choose any track you want for $1.99

17. maccawings

maccawings Senior Member

Whoops .99 cents per track

18. mikeja75

mikeja75 Forum Resident

We all get that. We'd have to shut down about 20% of the threads here if we applied your logic to them.

Look at this as more of an exercise instead of a bunch of company men sitting around trying to put together a real release that's going to be worked to digital and major retailers.

It's kind of just for fun...

19. PretzelLogic

PretzelLogic Feeling duped by MoFi? You probably deserve it.

I've only just got Tracks, so don't know it well enough to offer suggestions beyond 'Roulette', which is all sorts of brilliant.

Out of interest, what was left off the final release of Tracks? Wikipedia says it was supposed to be 6CDs.

20. Clark V Kauffman

Clark V Kauffman Forum Resident

You gotta have "Take 'Em As They Come." One of Bruce's best.

adriatikfan and JohnB like this.
  21. ragged company

ragged company Forum Resident

Really tough task. The reason he has so many non-album tracks released is because they are of such high quality. Your list is great. I could enjoy 20 different songs just as much. And probably 20 more again!

Meet Me In the City
    Trapped
    My Love Will Not . . .
    Take Em As they Come
    Gotta Get that Feeling
    Linda Let Me Be the One
    Thundercrack
    Rock a Way the Days
    Loose Change
    The Broken Hearted
    Don't Look Back
    Brothers Under the Bridges(83)
    Cynthia
    Talk to Me
    Brothers Under the Bridge(TGOTJ)
    I Wanna Be With You
    Aint Good Enough for You
    Break Away
    Restless Nights
    Janey Don't You Lose Heart

22. majorlance

majorlance Forum Resident

Despite all the carping & whining I've seen/heard regarding 18 Tracks over the years, it has long been my go-to Brooce when I just want to throw something on. :righton:

That said, I sure wish they hadn't futzed with "The Fever."

23. mikeja75

mikeja75 Forum Resident

How was "The Fever" futzed with? There are no modern day overdubs on that one as far as I'm aware...

Matthew Tate likes this.
  24. DEAN OF ROCK

DEAN OF ROCK Senior Member

What about "Hearts Of Stone"?

Matthew Tate and warewolf95 like this.
  25. mikeja75

mikeja75 Forum Resident

There are more than enough stray tracks for one disc from the classic E Street Era -- if you're going beyond that time period (1972-1985) I think you have to move it out to two discs...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.