Springsteen: Rethinking The "18 Tracks" Concept

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by PacificOceanBlue, Jul 5, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. majorlance

majorlance Forum Resident

No overdubs. But there's a ton of reverb that wasn't there before, so it loses some of the intimacy & soul of the original.

2. Glenn coates

Glenn coates Forum Resident

Your list is terrific and I haven't worked my own list yet but it would have to include Thundercrack, Zero and Blind Terry & Santa Anna

3. ivan_wemple

ivan_wemple Senior Member

I love "The Fever", but why did you feel compelled to include a tune that was already on the first 18 Tracks compilation?

4. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member Thread Starter

This isn't about giving "us," the long-time Springsteen enthusiasts, a compilation of songs we already have. The idea is to create a single disc introduction to Springsteen's officially released archival material for consumers and casual fans. There have been a number of threads where curious fans want to get suggestions for archival songs and releases to potentially explore -- this sort of release would conceivably be an appropriate package to meet that need.

That being said, it isn't like it is ever going to happen, it was just sort of a fun, interesting idea to explore.

5. PacificOceanBlue

I simply created an alternative single disc compilation of archival material from all of Springsteen's releases that contain archival material and bonus tracks. The intent was not to create a second volume of 18 Tracks.

6. ivan_wemple

ivan_wemple Senior Member

Gotcha! :righton:

7. maccawings

maccawings Senior Member

I get you, except that single disk already exists and is still widely available.

8. mikeja75

mikeja75 Forum Resident

The OP created this thread, I believe, since we've had dozens of additional tracks released since TRACKS in 1998...and he was thinking that, with these additional recordings, a better or more robust disc -- a'la 18 Tracks -- could be compiled to give the casual listener a better overview of Springsteen's outtakes. I think that sums it up...I'm not sure why this is so confusing.

9. maccawings

maccawings Senior Member

Not confusing, I just don't think we need another retread

10. mikeja75

mikeja75 Forum Resident

I guess this thread just isn't for you...

11. maccawings

maccawings Senior Member

it is for me because instead of a boring retread, I say let's empty out more of the vaults for Tracks 2

12. mikeja75

mikeja75 Forum Resident

Okay...let's drop the 18 Tracks tie-in that was in the original post and say that the OP is just asking fans to put together a one disc compilation of outtakes that would appeal to the casual fan. With material taken from anything officially released up to this point in 2017.

Would that work?

We'll let Bruce, Inc. worry about Tracks 2 and future archive releases.

PacificOceanBlue likes this.
  13. PacificOceanBlue

I don't think it is a retread. Nevertheless, if you want to fire off a proposed track-listing for a Tracks 2 box set so that we are not wasting bandwidth, feel free.

Lewisboogie likes this.
  14. maccawings

maccawings Senior Member

Well, that's the thing and the point.....if he raids the archives again, they would be songs that we have not heard so that would make listing them impossible.

And putting songs available on other releases on another collection is a retread. The same as making a greatest hits albums with basically the same exact songs. Just my opinion. By all accounts, Bruce has tons in his vaults, I'd much rather see them hit daylight than a bunch of songs already there for consumption. I understand you want to aim for the casual fan, but in reality, those casual fans rarely even buy all the albums which would arguably be the better tracks making them less interested in buying tracks not good enough to make the proper albums. Those fans generally buy greatest hits and maybe the more popular albums.

I get it that you think I protest too much, and although I understand your premise.....I totally disagree with it. Now if your point was to just make a track list of the best 18 tracks of the unreleased material to suggest a casual fan to try, I don't see any harm in that. In fact it would probably be very helpful to them. But you are proposing an actual release, and there it is just a wasted retread album. All of these tracks are available to .99 cents on iTunes.

Bruce is not getting any younger and to waste time and effort on a project like this that will never really make a dent in the casual fan market just would make this foolish folly. Just the way of the business but that would tie down any other release for at least a year or more.

But as a iTunes or digital download suggestion list for a casual fan, I don't have a problem with your proposed list. I mean we all probably have our own favorites that we'd each rather see in the compilation but it's usually the way even with official releases.

Don't know if that better explains my position

15. duggan

duggan Senior Member

Well said.

I'm listening to POB's list through Tidal (I think one track is missing) and really enjoying it.

PacificOceanBlue likes this.
  16. daveidmarx

daveidmarx Forem Residunt

Not in any order, but any type of new 18 Tracks set should include these (I hope):

Preacher's Daughter
    Follow That Dream
    Point Blank (alt version)
    Don't Back Down
    Losin' Kind
    Saga Of The Architect Angel
    The Ballad Of The Self-Loading Pistol
    Find It Where You Can
    Little Girl
    Sugarland
    Protection
    Out On The Run
    Johnny Bye Bye (45 version)
    30 Days Out
    I'll Stand By You Always
    Father's Day
    Between Heaven And Earth
    Blindspot

17. Davido

Davido ...assign someone to butter your muffin?

My personal holy grail would be a Springsteen demo of "Club Soul City"... assume it exists but have never heard any talk about it.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  18. warewolf95

warewolf95 Forum Resident

I'm a big believer that the River outtakes we have are mostly as good or better than half of the released album, so my list is gonna be weighted towards that:

Cynthia
    Murder Incorporated
    This Hard Land
    None But the Brave
    My Love Will Not Let You Down
    Be True
    Meet Me In The City
    Roulette
    Loose Ends
    Take Em As They Come
    Ricky Wants A Man Of Her Own
    Living On The Edge Of The World
    From Small Things Big Things One Day Come
    Dollhouse
    Thundercrack
    Don't Look Back
    The Promise
    Because the Night

Now, that's not definitive or anything, but as for my personal taste and preference, that'd be a sufficient 18 Tracks for me. :)

19. PacificOceanBlue

I always understood your position. As you know, not all product is designed to solely satisfy the demand and needs of the core fan-base, hence hits releases and other compilations. As a fan of all kinds of product, I enjoy considering options for casual fans and curious consumers. The type of compilation that I suggested in the initial post does serve a purpose, even if you are not the target audience. Such a compilation would not take the place of future archival projects.

20. maccawings

maccawings Senior Member

Yes, but this release would not satisfy many at all. The casual fan does not have much interest in songs not deemed good enough by the artist to make the album. They don't even buy the albums which arguably are the better tracks

To me, that release makes absolutely no sense for anyone.

21. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident

I would assume any left off non album b-side plus "the fever" , "the promise", most of the songs on disc 3 of essential and the pre greetings tunes on Chapter and Verse were probably in the mix at some point.

22. mikeja75

mikeja75 Forum Resident

MY holy grail is a full E Street Band version of 'LOVE'S ON THE LINE'. I have my finger's crossed that they find a way to get this on the USA box.

Mooserfan, Davido and Matthew Tate like this.
  23. GLUDFSSR

GLUDFSSR Senior Member

There is a very short 1 min home demo

24. Davido

Davido ...assign someone to butter your muffin?

The dream is over. Good to know, though, thanks.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  25. cdash99

cdash99 Senior Member

Try it out as a published Spotify playlist and see what type of traction you get, while adjusting your expectations accordingly.

Billy Infinity likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.