SQ on Abba Greatest Hits p33p 20050 cd

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by btomarra, Aug 22, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. btomarra

btomarra Classic Rock Audiophile Thread Starter

There was one thread which mentioned this when I did a search. IIRC Kenny mentioned in that thread that it was issued in 1986 in Japan combining elements of GH1 & 2. Has the following track selection with Fernando in Spanish:

Gimme! Gimme! Gimme!
    Knowing Me, Knowing You
    Take A Chance On Me
    Money, Money, Money
    Angeleyes
    Waterloo
    Hasta Manana
    Dancing Queen
    Does Your Mother Know
    Chiquitita
    Summer Night City
    The Name Of The Game
    Thank You For The Music
    Fernando

Anyone have this and can comment?

2. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

Brian - I have this, and always enjoyed it. I've never compared them, but as I recall, it sounds different from the target - might be a slight boost high end boost. Some might not like it at high volumes, as it may sound bright. But, I have always liked it. I would tell you that it is among the most popular P33 titles - there are tons of them out there, so you should be able to find one at a reasonable price.

3. KennyG

KennyG Forum Resident

All P33Ps use different masterings to their European and American contemporaries. The most interesting for collectors is probably Abba, which has an alternate mix of Man in the Middle.

In the case of Greatest Hits, the mastering used is unique to that compilation - unlike the rest of the Abba P33Ps it was never subsequently reissued. It is well done if a bit brighter than the equivalent European and American Greatest Hits collections.

It seems to have been a big seller and is the most common Abba P33P. Copies with OBIs can be purchased for as little as $20.

See http://abbaoncd.wordpress.com/japanese-cds/polydor-p33p-series-1986/ for more details on the series as a whole. It has full catalogue numbers for both the original P33P pressings and their 1992 reissues.

4. btomarra

btomarra Classic Rock Audiophile Thread Starter

Darcy has this on hold for me and I am looking forward to this. Just was curious about this release and I appreciate the info!

How is the track selection IYHO? BTW, I played the Spanish version of Fernando on youtube and it is beautiful!

5. KennyG

KennyG Forum Resident

The track selection is bonkers: firstly, there's nothing at all from Abba (1975) - their breakthrough album - and it features one of their most famous hits in its Spanish version. It's not as crazy though as some of the Polydor compilations from that time though.

One amusing note on the tracklisting - it reassures us that Waterloo is the English version but doesn't mention that Fernando is actually in Spanish.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.