Squeeze - Excess Moderation 2 CD set question

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Chris R, Nov 30, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chris R

Chris R Forum Fones Thread Starter

So, how is this 2 CD Squeeze comp? Did A&M "squeeze" the life out of it? :D Is it a flat transfer? Any noise reduction or compression? I think it's OOP, so it might be hard to find. I haven't really searched for it yet. Thought I'd ask about it here first, before I fork out the big bucks.

I was looking for something with the song "Christmas Day" on it. Then I realized I have "Christmas Day" on the Rhino New Wave Christmas CD. Still, this CD set looks interesting with all the B sides and such, in chronological order. The set could do without "Squabs On Forty Fab". I have that song, if you can call it that, on a B side somewhere. It's pretty bad. :laugh: I understand Chris Difford and Glen Tilbrook helped in the track selection.

Thanks. :)

Attached Files:

2. MagicAlex

MagicAlex Gort Emeritus

Yeah...this one is hard to find to be sure. I've been looking for a copy for years.

3. Dan C

Dan C Forum Fotographer

If you can snag it, do. Mastering is superb and the rare tracks are great to own. The liner notes were written by the boys themselves and are full of wit and insight. They're worth the price alone (almost).

One b-side I wish they included is the beautifully quirky "Elephant Girl", which I finally found on a UK 45. That tracks on the current best-of CD available in the UK, which I hear is excellent and easier to find (but it doesn't have everything that "Excess..." has)

BTW, "Squabs on Forty Fab" was done as a joke which sort of backfired when it started getting serious air play in the UK!:D

Dan C

4. alugjk

alugjk Senior Member

This is a great compilation, but yes, it is very hard to find.

Overall, the sound quality is great, but there is one problem: during the song "Woman's World" it sounds like the tape gets chewed up for a few seconds - it sounds awful and it is hard to believe that wasn't noticed before it was released.

Also worth noting is the "Piccadilly Collection" : I'm pretty sure this one-CD compilation was released in the US in place of the 2-disc "Excess Moderation". There is a some overlap between the 2 collections, but each has some songs that the other doesn't.

"Piccadilly Collection" has these rarities: Elephant Girl, Spanish Guitar, and the Difford & Tilbrook song Love's Crashing Waves.

-George

5. TSmithPage

TSmithPage Ex Post Facto Member

Speaking of, I wish they'd reissue the Difford & Tilbrook CD, as it's been OOP for a long time, and is impossible to find at an affordable price these days...

6. Dan C

Dan C Forum Fotographer

Yeah, that flaw on "Woman's World" is pretty drastic. Sounds like the tape has serious problems. :( That glitch isn't on the MoFi of "East Side Story", which was issued shortly after "Excess".

Dan C

7. Dan C

Dan C Forum Fotographer

That's interesting about the CD. The vinyl seems to be everywhere. I found a sealed copy for a couple of bucks.

Dan C

8. peterC

peterC Aussie Addict

9. Mister Kite

Mister Kite Uncle Obscure

Yes, I believe that is correct. I remember getting Excess Moderation right when it first came out after reading about it (probably in ICE?). After that, I don't think I ever saw it again. Later, when I saw the Piccadilly Collection, I passed on it thinking it was just a stripped-down version of Excess. After reading your post, now I wish I hadn't. I guess I'll have to look more closely at the track list next time...:mad:

10. BIG ED

BIG ED Forum Resident

Yes, peterC, however is the SQ as good or better???
    Thanks.

11. peterC

peterC Aussie Addict

I don't know. I haven't heard Excess Moderation.

Big Squeeze however is LOUD!
    A typical modern remaster. :sigh:

There is no mastering credit given.

I noticed on allmusic.com that EM is remastered by Roger Wake in the UK. Before I came to this forum I always liked his remastering but now I'm not so sure! Probably no-noised.

12. Dan C

Dan C Forum Fotographer

"Excess Moderation" IS NOT NO-NOISED!!!! Dig?
    I'm listening to it right this second. Try out track 5, the scathing "Blood and Guts". Dynamic and "noisy". Good stuff.:) If you find this CD set, get it!:thumbsup:

Dan C

13. peterC

peterC Aussie Addict

Yeah Dan, I "dig"!

I did say I haven't heard it remember. I was just guessing from what many other members say about UK remastering generally.

As I said I always liked Wake's remastering. :)

He did the Squeeze box set as well, didn't he?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.