Squeezebox Touch

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by metalbob, Sep 28, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. metalbob

metalbob Senior Member Thread Starter

Anyone interested in this product? I've been ripping my entire collection to Apple Lossless and 320 kbps (for the iPod) and looking for a solution to play the whole thing through my stereo. I was interested in an Apple TV or even a Mac Mini, but this looks like it might be the way to go. It's just not available yet.

Anyone have any insight into Logitech/Squeezebox's previous products?

2. RonMiller1

RonMiller1 Member

There's a pretty long thread about the Squeezebox. Although it doesn't have much talk about the Touch. I'm waiting for it to show up on the Logitech store so I can order one.

3. mosleyh

mosleyh Forum Resident

I can't speak for the Squeezebox products, but as a longtime user of Roku's streaming appliances, I can tell you you'll wonder how you survived before you got it. One thing though - if you're going to be streaming lossless, make sure your network is in shape - it takes a fair amount of bandwidth. Especially if you use wireless, make sure nothing in your house is using 802.11b, which could slow down your entire network, depending on what router you have.

4. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

As a Squeezebox3 and Transporter owner, I'm not terribly excited about the Touch. Yes, the SB3 is a bit dated looking, but I really don't have much interest in getting up out of my chair to touch the display. I get more enjoyment from the Controller WiFi remote and/or iPhone iPeng app.

5. DaveN

DaveN Music Glutton

I'll be getting one of these for my daughter's room. She currently has a Monitor iDeck and iPod combination - but the dock connector is getting pretty wonky. Besides, I'd like to give her access to more music without investing in a new iPod or constant maintenance of her current one. The new Squeezebox unit fixes most of this.

Add the ability to surf by album cover instead of by text - and we have a winner! I'll buy one of these about two weeks after it comes out and the early adopters pronounce it ready for prime time.

6. metalbob

My stereo is only a few feet from my modem/router, so I was probably going to hardwire it with an ethernet cable. The ability to access Rhapsody right in a unit connected to my stereo is key as I've tried a few solutions that are OK, but they all need a computer of course. It would be nice to just dial in something and not be tempted to be online.

7. MusicMtnMonkey

MusicMtnMonkey New Member

I'm pretty excited about the Touch also. I like my Squeezebox Duet system, but it hasn't worked perfect and my remote is stuck in a loop of wanting to update and failing. It's worth it though if you ask me. I can still play music using my computer to control things. One of these days I'll have time and clear up the remote issues...

Anyhow, I see the Touch more as a living room device for friends and the non-technical. Having the Touch with the main stereo system would seem to make using the Squeezebox system more accessible for guests, friends, and the drunken... I'll be keeping the Duet in my listening room.

Needless to say, the Squeezebox system is pretty awesome for those with a large collection of music. I do have friend that uses his Squeezebox for streaming off the internet with services like Rhapsody and likes it a lot.

8. kstaken

kstaken Forum Resident

I'm definitely looking forward to it for one major reason, 24/96 support without having to buy a transporter. The current lower end squeezeboxes only support 24/48 and the transporter isn't really worth it to me if you don't need the DAC. The touch looks like a perfect complement to a nice outboard DAC.

9. metalbob

What would you need the 24/96 support for? Vinyl transfers and DVD-Audio rips?

10. dgstrat

dgstrat Senior Member

those and hi rez downloads..........

11. Doug Sclar

Doug Sclar Forum Legend

I'm most definitely interested in one for use in the car. I'm currently using a Squeezebox Classic in the car but it's a bit klugey. That said it's wonderful to have so much music in the car with me at all times.

12. jojopuppyfish

jojopuppyfish Senior Member

13. Doug Sclar

Doug Sclar Forum Legend

14. DJ WILBUR

DJ WILBUR The Cappuccino Kid

i'm most curious about this Touch model. My other half struggles with the classic that we have and this'll make it work for him. He's very tactile and will enjoy playing with this and that'll get him into more music and less tv...

so I'm down with this device when its out as I need a second one in the house anyway. the Classic can move to the office or bedroom.

downloaded their new software today, some very interesting changes are now available and no major nightmare glitches with the brand new software i can find yet...but certainly Squeezebox uses should ponder grabbing their new software in the coming weeks/months as its a big improvement especially if you use it to stream radio...

15. metalbob

How does one manage the library for this thing? Can it simply access, say an existing iTunes library? How does one add tracks, artwork, etc.?

16. DaveN

DaveN Music Glutton

I am guessing that the Touch is nothing more than an upgraded Squeezebox with a GUI. If that is true, then there will still be server software on another computer in the house that manages the library.

17. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

From what I understand, a Touch can run SC.

18. DaveN

DaveN Music Glutton

Ooooh! Even better. Perhaps I should read some more before posting my conjectures.......

Edit: But if the Touch can run SC, then it manages its own library. You just need to have access to the hard drive where the music is stored. Now I really need to go read up on it. Back to the Slimdevices forum.....

19. OldCoder

OldCoder Well-Known Member In Memoriam

The Touch is alledged to offer a Mini-SC that allows an external hard drive loaded with music to be hooked up to it as a standalone library. That could be convenient.

But for me, the main reason to use it is as a 24/96 source and controller at my rig. Between that and the controller from my Duet, I have the best of both worlds. And that will send the Receiver to a rarely used living room stereo, and perhaps breath new life into how that is used. I can see a lot of internet radio on that, and the Controller to migrate up and downstairs regularly.

20. kstaken

kstaken Forum Resident

Hi-rez downloads. Not a huge amount of content available yet, but there's enough to make it interesting and more coming regularly.

21. THD

THD Forum Resident

I don't quite understand the appeal of the touch screen. I only get out of my chair to put on records. The main benefit to my Squeezebox 3 is remote control access to my entire library. Why would I want to get up and walk over to the main unit?

What I'm really interested in is the rumored Apple Tablet running iTunes (presumably using the library on my main computer, like the Remote application for the iTouch/iPhone and utilizing an airport express plugged into a DAC).

Actually, my first choice would be dramatically improved squeezecenter software that offers as good a front-end experience as iTunes CoverFlow feature does. Squeezecenter looks like it's fifteen years older than iTunes - why can't they give it a more fun and easy interface?

22. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

I don't need the touch application either. Remote control is the way to go!

I agree, SqueezeCenter is pretty clunky. But, it's what you sacrifice to get the "open source" element I suppose. With iTunes, you're completely locked down. With SC, I can get programs to manage multiple libraries, multiple viewing/browsing options, RSS feeds, etc. But you pay a price: all that flexibility means you spend some time learning how to configure a million things within SC.

23. kstaken

kstaken Forum Resident

This unit comes with a remote control and I would be very, very surprised if the existing display remotes don't work with it too. I think the touch thing is nice as there have been many times when I've been near the system and wanted to change tracks and had to walk back across the room to get the remote. I wouldn't replace my existing squeezebox classic just to get the touch feature but I will to get 24/96 support and the touch screen is a nice added bonus.

24. DJ WILBUR

of course the remote and screen will work similar to their classic device which I own. still i'm often by my device and would love the additional way to access my library without finding where i've lost my remote.

25. DJ WILBUR

now thats reason enough to buy this if that is true.

anyone know the streetdate?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.