Squeezebox Touch

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by metalbob, Sep 28, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bubba-ho-tep

bubba-ho-tep Resident Ne'er-Do-Well

Thanks for the info. Hopefully, this will solve my buffering issues.

On a related note, can anybody tell me how to interpret the File Types settings window? For example, next to WAV there are dropdowns for FLAC, MP3 and PCM. So what's the story here if I, say, set FLAC to disabled? Also, "Native" means that the decoding is done by the Squeezebox Touch itself, correct?

2. bubba-ho-tep

Okay, so now a weird thing is happening when I play back 24/192 FLAC files. When I have the computer decode them to PCM before tramsitting to the Touch, the Touch downsamples them to 44.1 and plays them back really, really slow. Is this because the Touch can't handle 24/192 PCM streams?

3. c-eling

c-eling They're made of light,We never would have guessed

Yes, that's correct, But a guy that goes by the name Triode created an app you install on the Touch that will allow the higher bitrates
    http://forums.slimdevices.com/showt...tal-Output-app-USB-Dac-and-192k-Digital-Ouput

4. bubba-ho-tep

I have the Enhanced Digital Output installed on my Touch. It plays the 24/192 files fine when I let the Touch do the converting, but it plays back super slow (at 44.1) when I let the server do the converting.

5. I think this is what was happening to me last night on my Touch. I had just downloaded the new HDTracks 24-192 version of Closer by Joy Division. I was getting a small amount of rebuffering when playing back Flac decoded on the Touch. So I experimented with Flac set to disabled in the Advanced settings. What I got spooked me out - sounded like some weird Reggae dub mix of Closer - in fact I quite liked it !!!

In the end I decoded the Flacs back to Wav - which cured all my problems.

6. bubba-ho-tep

It's odd, though, that that you can stream the 24/192 Wav file with now adverse effects whatsoever but the Media Server is doing its weird downsampling thing. You must be able to correct it somewhere, right? I really don't want to convert all my 24/192 files to Wav if I can help it.

7. Yes I don't know what the proper answer is. At the moment I don't have too many 24/192 files but you are right that in the future it could be a problem as I get more. I also miss the tagging you get with flac.

On my setup where I stream wirelessly to the Touch - I found that the flacs would play ok with decoding done on the Touch if they were loaded on a USB drive inserted in the back of the Touch. This is perhaps a clue that if streamed over a direct connection of Cat5 cable it would work too. Network cabling is not something I want to do right now but maybe I'll have to think about it in the future.

8. on7green

on7green Senior Patron

My Musical Fidelity DAC doesn't support 192. But 24/anything else does fine with the EDO app.

9. bubba-ho-tep

I ran a Cat 5 cable from our router to the Touch. Looks like this has solved the rebuffering problem. I'll leave it attached for a week or so just to make sure. Bad news is that there's a network cable taped to the wall in the hallway and living room. Wife is not pleased.

10. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

Good to hear. I was pretty sure that would solve your problems. I'm guessing you have a two story house? I have run Ethernet in my home to some pretty extreme places, it was totally worth the initial effort. Otherwise you could try something like this: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/887958-REG/a.html

11. I have two, one is wireless and one is on Cat 5. The Cat5 one streams 192 with no problem. The wireless will not do it very well, there are always dropouts so I listen to the 192 stuff on the wired one only (which is connected to my main system).

12. bubba-ho-tep

Can anybody recommend a good, inexpensive, ethernet booster?

13. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

What do you mean, exactly? There isn't anything that would really be considered as a consumer grade "ethernet booster". Ethernet (Cat5/6) is good for a 300ft run of cable.

14. adamdube

adamdube Forum Resident

They do make a booster type product to extend past the 330 something feet....but expensive

15. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

Right, again not for typically household (consumer) use. Which is why I need to know what he's trying to do. Most homes don't need 300+ft of Cat 5 run to any location.

16. bubba-ho-tep

I'm not a great judge of distance. Just wanted to make sure I could get my entire house wired up if needed.

If I can get by without spending extra money on a booster, so much the better.

17. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

300ft is a long way. Most house lots in Wylie (suburbs) aren't even 300 ft long ;)

If your house was 300ft from the front door the back door (i.e. longest distance), you'd have a 60,000 sq ft house! :eek:

300ft is the max for a single run between two end points, i.e. you could probably wire the entire house with a 1000ft spool (under $80 worth of wire) and probably have plenty left over.

18. c-eling

c-eling They're made of light,We never would have guessed

Bubba's tapping into the business across the street :laugh: JK

19. jlc76

jlc76 Forum Resident

Yeah, we got fiber over ethernet at the office and we ran cat5 across our office, through the hall and 5 stories down into the basement and it was about 100'. A football field is 300'. The only way you need a run that long is if you want to share with a neighbor down the street...way down the street.

Now you could use 300' total or more depending on the number of rooms wired but I think this only applies to single runs. I'm looking at wiring my house up and it's relatively small (1600+ sq ft) but wireless is just too sketchy for 100% reliability. I've had my Roku and Squeezebox duet in the bedroom drop out a few times. The Touch in the living room never does but it's much closer to my wireless router.

20. shamanjunior

shamanjunior New Member

I purchased a Touch on Ebay in pretty good shape, but missing one of the rubber bumpers. If you still have the old Touch would love to purchase a bumper from you. Can't find that shape anywhere and Logitech is out of that part. Thanks!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.