Squeezebox Touch

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by metalbob, Sep 28, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. strat95

strat95 Senior Member

Just curious, how do you know the Transporter is being discontinued?

I was looking for info like this on the Squeezebox forums and no one was confirming this. Of course that was yesterday and much can change in a day.

TV

2. Hello, thank you very much for this post.

I have readen about the squeezebox, and I would like to know some things, I wait someone have this information.

I have think to store the cds in FLAC format (high quality, level 8 I think), I have them now in mp3, but I wanna have it with more quality.

I would like to know how I need to store the information, I will try to explain:

I have seen in the web that you can see the cover in the screen of the squeezebox, I suppous that like in a Ipod (I havent one, my daugther have one), so I dont use Itunes and so like this.

And how do you need to store, so you can find a album.
    Do you need to create a "tree" in your hard disk?.
    Artist -> Albums?
    Capitol Letter -> Artist -> Album?

What about it?

I would like to have this information, to try to do it well, and dont spend more time in the future.

If anyone have this information, or use a squeezebox and wanna say me how he has the information in the hard disk, is free to write in a private message if he wanna do it.

Thanks (please dont use things like IMO, IMHO or similar, because I dont understand well this things ok?)

3. Peter314

Peter314 Forum Resident

All FLAC is lossless and has the same sound quality. Level 8 is the most compressed so takes up least space on a hard drive. The higher the level, the longer the compression takes during the ripping process. So if you are ripping hundreds of CDs, the ripping process will take a little longer than if you use (for example) Level 5.

If your music is tagged properly, you could manage with no directory structure at all. However, this is not best practice! I use the following directory structure: <artist><album><tracks>. There is a lot of helpful info. about setting up a Squeezebox system in the Squeezebox wiki. Here is a link to one on setting up file structures: http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.php/BeginnersGuideToOrganising

4. First: Thank you very much for your help, and one question, I have try wiht level 8 and level 0, and used less space in disk, if I use level 5 for example, is the same quality?, what do you use?

And another thing, first I need to record in wav not? what do you use?
    Thanks

5. Feisal K

Feisal K Forum Resident

this actually made me shudder inside :laugh:

6. Shakey

Shakey New Member

I thought the same thing. Since I recently bought a Transporter direct from Logitech, I think I'll give them a call and ask.

It seems to me that the Transporter will still fill a niche, even with the Touch in the line-up. Apparently Sean Adams still answers questions on the Slim Forums. Specifically he explained why the Transporter is limited to 24/96, something to do with the buffer on board the Transporter, this only a few weeks ago.
    With all the extra features the Transporter has compared to the line-up, including the Touch, seems foolish to me to discontinue it, especially when one considers there really is no competitor at it's price point.

The DAC itself is spec'd at 24/192 on the AKM site. I wonder how difficult it would be to up the buffer to eliminate the bottle-neck.

Maybe the Logitech Rep meant the special Logitech support for the Transporter would be discontinued. I'll check today.

7. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

I think the reason for no 24/192 in the TP has to do with the processing power to decode FLAC, etc into 24/192. It is apparently very CPU intensive to decode on the fly, hence the cap at 24/96.

8. Shakey

Shakey New Member

Sam, you very well might be right.
    As I mentioned in this or the Touch thread, I said I would call them, Logitech.

They, the Logitech Transporter Rep said there are no plans to discontinue the Transporter, "You are hearing it from the horse's mouth" to quote.

In fact, he confirmed, what he has been asked to not talk about, that there are plans to further improve the Transporter, through firmware upgrades and I told him I wouldn't get specific other than he said there are no plans to do away with the Transporter.

9. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

Very good news. Love that machine, it gets more use than any other device in my house.

10. Shakey

Shakey New Member

Makes me feel better, too. He confirmed my warranty, three years on the Transporter, two years on the other Squeezebox products.

Being my main source of listening, I find it hard to finish ripping my CD collection, as I don't like to listen and rip to my NAS at the same time. So I have to squeeze my ripping between listening.

I thought about updating the Transporter thread, but I think I'll let it go away by itself.

11. Mike B

Mike B Forum Resident

http://www.stevehoffman.tv/forums/showthread.php?t=198665

I was told it was no longer going to be supported and they were going to stop making them. Now apparently we're being told that isn't true. Those people need to get their act together.

12. Shakey

Shakey New Member

It's hard to find good help nowadays.

Actually in their defense, it seems they haven't merged seamlessly.
    They still have both the Slim Systems and Logitech sites up, and some of the information on one site contradicts the other.

Hopefully I wasn't given bad information.

13. Peter314

Peter314 Forum Resident

You have PM :)

14. Peter314

Peter314 Forum Resident

Yeah, not recommended. Though, now I think about it, that is exactly how my email inbox is configured. :shh:

15. Shakey

Shakey New Member

Maybe they meant to say the Squeezebox?

16. strat95

strat95 Senior Member

Hi Terry,

Thanks for looking into this matter and getting info "from the horses mouth".:thumbsup:

I guess when Mike B called in he spoke to a different horse! :D

I am glad to hear that they will not discontinue the Transporter. I don't own one but I had a demo Transporter and a demo Duet that I tried out for a month. I listened to sooooo much more music during that time. Music was always on. I miss that and have considered getting the Transporter but I'm holding out to see what updates or possible new products materialize.

The Transporter is a great sounding device without the aftermarket upgrades. It smokes the analog outs of the Duet. It's not even close.

It is very nice to have the Duet controller, however it's probably cheaper to buy an iPod Touch and use the iPeng software. Third generatioin 8GB iPod Touch lists for $189 at amazon.com.
    The controller lists for $255, while the Squeezebox Duet (with controller) lists for $350.
    The duet is still not a bad price and a better deal since you will end up with a second source to access your music library.

Ted

17. DavidPHumes

DavidPHumes New Member

How is the DAC in the SqueezeBox series in general (specifically the Touch)?

I have the opportunity to purchase one for $150. This would be replacing my Firestone Fubar II USB DAC.

18. metalbob

metalbob Senior Member Thread Starter

You have an opportunity to purchase the Touch, or another Squeezebox product? I'd love to get my hands on a Touch as I could move full speed ahead on my music server project.

19. DavidPHumes

DavidPHumes New Member

The Touch is available to me for $150 as part of an employee accommodation for the company I work for.

20. GreenDrazi

GreenDrazi Truth is beauty

Does anyone have it available currently?

21. Dave C

Dave C Forum Resident

I believe I read on the Squeezebox forums that it'll most likely be sometime early next year.

22. DaveN

DaveN Music Glutton

The hardest part of setting up a music server is the ripping/tagging/album art process. Waiting for the Touch will provide you ample time to complete this momentous task! (don't forget to set up a backup strategy)

Once the server machine is set up with the server software and has access to the music library, it is a trivial matter to set up the Squeezebox players.

23. Leigh

Leigh https://orf.media

Crap, I was hoping for an awesome xmas present.

24. Fatman

Fatman Senior Member

Since it sounds like we have some time before this is released, I have a rookie ripping/tagging question. The ripping software I'm using (JetAudio) searches the internet for tags, which is great. But is there a way to include the album art when ripping rather than after the fact?

25. DaveN

DaveN Music Glutton

There may be, but my experience says it isn't worth it. Ripping a disk takes a minute or two or three. As soon as the rip starts, go to one of the internet resources for album art. My favorite is www.albumartexchange.com followed by images.google.com. I generally grab 500x500 or 600x600 pics as they give great detail on larger displays and seem to scale better on the ipod screen.

Once your rip is finished, just paste the album artwork image into your tagging software. At most, you lose a minute or two per album.

I did this waaayyyy after the fact for 1,500 records. Trust me - it is way better to get good artwork while you are ripping. It seems so much less painful that way!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.