St. Vincent News!! Ongoing Thread For All Things St. Vincent- Will Be Updated As Needed

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by linclink, May 8, 2014.

1. wolfram

wolfram Slave to the rhythm

2. wolfram

Well, that was quick.

linclink likes this.
  3. wolfram

And it's been taken down again even more quickly. :mad:

4. linclink

linclink Forum Resident Thread Starter

Crap!!! I saw a bit of it last night (got in late from a 6 hour drive home from New Jersey) & I was going to watch it tonight!!

5. linclink

The whole Glastonbury set was briefly up on youtube... but was sadly removed...below are three videos still up there (one official) & a link to the BBC player version of the whole show (which doesn't work in the U.S.)
    "Digital Witness":

"Huey Newton":
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dVVMG3bdYVg

"Your Lips Are Red":
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hwbtg1PhV4k

Full Show (won't play in U.S.)
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/p0216k4g/glastonbury-2014-st-vincent-on-the-park-stage
    1. Rattlesnake

2. Digital Witness

3. Cruel

4. Marrow

5. Every Tear Disappears

6. Surgeon

7. Cheerleader

8. Prince Johnny

9. Regret

10. Birth in Reverse

11. Huey Newton

12. Bring Me Your Loves

13. Your Lips Are Red

6. jordanb87

jordanb87 Forum Resident

That "Rattlesnake" --> "Digital Witness" --> "Cruel" opening is so killer.

7. Gabe Walters

Gabe Walters Forum Resident

Generally, I think her current act is wrong for a daylight festival performance, but that clip of Your Lips Are Red is killer.

8. Scopitone

Scopitone Caught the last train for the coast

I like her hair in those Glastonbury vids. :love:

linclink likes this.
  9. SammyJoe

SammyJoe Up The Irons!

Luckily I managed to see some of the full Glastonbury performance, but its really frustfrating that these get taken down.
    Oh well, maybe the full performance will be back there soon.

linclink likes this.
  10. DreamIsOver

DreamIsOver Senior Member

I'm hope she puts out a live release soon because I seem to prefer the live versions of the songs I've heard over the studio versions. More direct and her guitar work is allowed to shine without unnecessary production layers. Prince Johnny in particular is vastly superior live IMO.

linclink likes this.
  11. wolfram

Yes, I agree on all counts.

linclink likes this.
  12. linclink

She is absolutely ripe for some kind of some live release!!! I couldn't agree more, but... If I recall correctly, I think she tends to heavily highlight any given new album, on any given tour, so a retrospective of live material (originals & covers) would be my great hope!!! A nice 2 CD set, with a DVD culled from various performances...a happy little career thus far retrospective, seen through the lens of her live work!!
    The show in London, Ontario was a great as the one I saw earlier in the Spring in Buffalo (albeit 2 songs shorter, with "Northern Lights" sadly being one of the two that got cut), & I'm looking very forward to the show in Brooklyn on August 9th!!!

13. Scopitone

Listening to Frank Z's "You can't do that on stage anymore vol 2" -- I am hearing a lot of Annie's guitar in this first part of RDNZL.

14. Macman

Macman Senior Member

Seeing her tonight. Really looking forward to it.

John B Good and wolfram like this.
  15. wolfram

Let us know how you liked it.

16. Macman

Macman Senior Member

Will do.

wolfram likes this.
  17. Canadacrowe

Canadacrowe Forum Resident

Saw her last night in Ottawa -- I think the same set list as Glastonbury or very close. Very good show. I was a bit surprised by the size of the crowd that she drew, she was on one of the larger side stages and filled the area. Your Lips are Red included a freak-out guitar solo while on the shoulders of a security guard. The new songs come across really well live -- I like the record, but live they have a bit more rawness.

jordanb87, wolfram and Scopitone like this.
  18. Scopitone

I am torn. She'll be here in late August, I think. (pricey - tickets are something like $60)

But I recently decided that I wasn't doing anymore concerts by myself. (I even blew off a Steel Panther show that I already had a ticket for)

Still, I would like to see her - especially after hearing good reviews like @Canadacrowe's here.

19. wolfram

I cannot recommend seeing her live enough. For me it was one of the best concerts of my life. But I'm really surprised by the ticket prices. When I saw her in February, I paid about €20. Maybe it's because she's far less known here and it was shortly before the new album came out. But still, $60 is pretty steep.

Scopitone likes this.
  20. Scopitone

It's a fancy venue, I think - some arts "music in the park summer series" kind of event at the Botanical Gardens. I suspect she would only be in the $20-30 range at one of the usual venues for known but not arena-ready bands.

wolfram likes this.
  21. audiotom

audiotom Senior Member

why is Annie not on the main stage?

thanks for the updates
    $60 is dirt cheap for concert tickets these days
    Bands like Wilco and Dave Matthews that keep their ticket prices in check for the fans are fw and far between

can't wait for October

22. Canadacrowe

Canadacrowe Forum Resident

This was a pretty large two week festival -- main stage is the Lady Gaga, Lady Antebellum, type bands. The side stage was the perfect spot for her, I am bad at guessing crowds, likely around 5-7,000 there last night. I'd recommend seeing her, even just for the spectacle of the show. The persona that she takes on is pretty interesting. If you're a fan of unique guitar sounds, she does some pretty cool things.

23. John B Good

John B Good Forum Hall Of Fame

Saw a good part of her Halifax show - wanted to see what the fuss was about. Great presence - liked her hair better than that Bride of Frankenstein do that has been in all the publicity material. She got on a podium at times so we could see her a bit better (too many 6'6" hipsters standing up in front of the seating).

Killer music (all 4 of them - drums bass and keyboards, and her guitar) and she has a great stage presence but I could not make out lyrics very well due to the usual stupid loud. Ears have stopped ringing. :)

BTW this was a Jazz Festival event. Therefore quite large number of 'older folk' in the crowd.

Scopitone and wolfram like this.
  24. Macman

Macman Senior Member

Wonderful show last night on the Halifax waterfront. As much as I love her albums, St. Vincent live takes it to another level. It's hard to take your eyes off her. And she's a great guitar player. :love:

linclink, Scopitone and wolfram like this.
  25. Scopitone

Listening to the Glastonbury show now - only 3 songs in. She sounds very good, and I actually like that I can't hear the crowd much during the songs.

Her between-song banter is a bit awkward, though.