Standard/Custom switch on SCD777ES

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by lucifer-chops, Jan 27, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lucifer-chops

lucifer-chops Forum Resident Thread Starter

There is a switch on the rear of the Sony SCD777ES SACD player marked for Standard or Custom playback. According to the manual this should never be set to Custom when connected to a "normal" amplifier as amp or speaker damage may result. However, if connected to certain Sony amps the Custom mode can be used and will "enable you to enjoy a wider range of frequencies". I am sure I read somewhere that the Standard setting cuts off frequencies at 50KHz although it doesn't say this in the manual.

I have 2 questions about this:

1. Will switching to Custom mode really damage my "normal" amp and speakers?

2. Will there be any audible difference anyway - surely signals above 50KHz are way above the audible range?

Anyone tried flicking this switch?!

Luke

2. Mick Jones

Mick Jones Senior Member

To the best of my knowledge most people with the Sony SCD-1 or SCD-777ES players have set the switch to the custom position (myself included) without any reported problems. Many have checked first with the manufacturers of their amplifiers and speakers that the extra high frequencies would not cause ill effects. The switch (and its associated filter) probably stems from a reported problem experienced by an unnamed hi-end american solid-state amp when fed from an early Sony SACD player that lacked this high freqency filter.

The signals that the filter is removing in standard mode are most likely totally inaudible, but the action of the filter when removing them may well not be.

3. Gary Freed

Gary Freed Forum Resident

When I had my 777ES I kept it on custom.

I checked over in Hirez Highway at the Audio Asylum website when I first
    purchased mine. There were many many people who owned the unit
    and they all kept it on the custom setting.

If you want to sure that your other equipment can handle the signal,
    I would check with your MFG. for peace of mind.

4. lucifer-chops

lucifer-chops Forum Resident Thread Starter

Mick and Gary, thanks for the responses. Out of interest, did either of you hear any sonic difference when you switched to Custom mode?

Thanks

Luke

5. Gary Freed

Gary Freed Forum Resident

Hi Luke,

How's it going?

When I flipped the switch to custom I noticed a tiny bit more resolution
    in the higher frequency range.:)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.