Standard Lp's with great sound

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by John Carsell, Jul 27, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Burningfool

Burningfool Just Stay Alive

While it's not his finest moment performance wise, Jerry Garcia's Run For The Roses on Arista sounds fabulous. I think that Betty Cantor-Jackson recorded this, and consequently it is SO natural and open. It's a sleeper, and fairly common.

My two favorite promo editions are Willie Nelson - Stardust (Columbia WLP - best sounding issue ever, IMHO) and Elvis Costello - Almost Blue (the somewhat scarce Columbia WLP where Elvis introduces each song. This thing sounds so much better than any other issue. My jaw dropped when I first heard it.)

2. Mike V

Mike V New Member

I went through more of my vinyl and found a bunch that I really enjoy for sonics and for performance. Some of these surprised me. You would think a non-US artist would automatically mean some nasty sonics because the US domestic market would get bogus high-gen tape copies to master from. But that isn't so from what my ears tell me anyway. Here are a few I really enjoy. Mind you, not necessarily the best available, but excellent and for the most part pretty damn cheap:

Pretenders S/T on Sire (early press, no UPC code). Tonality-wise, sounds precisely like the yellow WEA German disc. Probably a flat transfer from a well duped 2nd gen source, but I'm guessing. Very very impressed, though the CD gets the edge by a fair margin. Not a great sounding recording to begin with so don't expect much. And don't even consider the Nautilus - the Sire blows that one away easily.

Talking Heads '77 on Sire (see a trend here?) again, no UPC code, early press. Kills, absolutely maims & destroys the domestic CD I have of this. A great album. I don't think this one could be improved on.

Talking Heads "The Name Of This Band Is Talking Heads" on Sire, upc code is there, 2 LP set. The first disc is a very intimate (small crowd) live set evidently recorded at a studio with a small group witnessing this awesome event. Everybody should have this set for the 1st side alone, and it sounds really really good. A bit bright, but still very very good.

Talking Heads Fear Of Music on Sire (corrugated steel type cover - no UPC, early press). Again, amazing album and it sounds fantastic. If you find a mint copy you won't ever need to upgrade, period.

As for "More Songs About Buildings And Food", my copy has compression issues that sound like a mastering problem (not in the mix). And it's an early US press like the other titles. After hearing those, this LP was a major disappointment.

Bob Weir "Ace" on Warner (another killer green WB label). Wow I love this LP! And it sounds so damn good. "Garcia" was a treat too, but I'm partial to this one for whatever reason.

Van Morrison "Tupelo Honey", yet another green WB label. Very fine pressing, great sound. Compare "Wild Night" with anything you have on CD then let me know what you think. Not even remotely close. Amazing LP all around, on my short list of favorites from Van too.

Eric Clapton "Slowhand" on RSO. Really! Looking at the pressing is deceptive. My copy doesn't look like much. Thin, unassuming vinyl but fat with great sound. These can be had for not much $$. This copy is without the UPC (an early press, I guess).

Dire Straits "Communique" on Warner, white label with horizontal lines & WB at top. The sound on "Once Upon A Time In The West" will make you pitch your old CD straight into the trash. Hopefully the new CD issue is better.

Dire Straits "Making Movies", same label, same story as above.

The Who "It's Hard" on WB, brown label with horizontal stripes. TML-X in dead wax on both sides. My copy has a UPC (I think they all did). If you like this album, this pressing will blow you away. Especially on "Eminence Front"

Alice Cooper "Welcome To My Nightmare" on original Atlantic (no mention of Warner, no UPC). This one surprised the hell out of me. I can't imagine the MFSL offering an improvement (aside from being on very quiet vinyl). It's a little noisy, but sounds just fantastic. I love Bob Ezrin - his fingerprints are all over this production.

Mott The Hoople "All the Young Dudes" on Columbia (original "KC" issue). One of those surprises I mentioned. I figured Columbia would end up with some crap sounding tape & press these to satisfy demand, but it's really a great sounding disc. Sucker & Mama's Little Jewel are just ******' awesome. I'm surprised that parents weren't seen burning this album. If you see the original Columbia with early stampers (1A/1A or close), then definitely pick it up.

Midnight Oil "10, 9, 8, 7..." and "Diesel and Dust". Both are absolutely amazing albums. These guys should be 500 times as famous as they are, at least in the US. I love this band. Both these albums sound great on the domestic US vinyl. I think Diesel & Dust is a DMM master, but not sure. Either way, awesome politically charged music and super-duper sonics.

Meat Puppets "Up On The Sun" SST. Another great band with a marginalized following (again, in the US anyway). Found this disc at a Salvation Army some years ago. These SST pressings aren't audiophile (nor are many I've mentioned so far), but they sound like what you'd think the master tape sounds like. Very true-to-the-source sounding. I need to score me some other titles on the label (Minutemen, more Puppets, Black Flag, etc) but I don't know if the old vinyl is better than what's still available. Can anyone tell me their impressions of newer SST?

Specials S/T on Chrysalis - Ska for the masses. Incredibly entertaining album, and it sounds damn good too. I think mine is a later issue (has the UPC code). The original CD couldn't touch this (nor could the EMI Centenary series issue, which sucked), but I can't speak for the new CD issue. Either way, if you don't have this album, buy it. A great place to start a ska collection.

Metallica "Kill 'Em All" on Megaforce (1st issue "Bang That Head That Doesn't Bang"). Like the SST above, it sounds great, like you imagine the master to sound. I have "Ride The Lightning" on silver Megaforce label, but haven't listened to that yet. It will be interesting to check it out against the DCC gold. Unfortunately, none of these early Megaforce Metallica issues are cheap. They cost big $$ if you buy on eBay, but they do show up occasionally at tag sales, thrift shops, etc. Beat to ****, but they show up!

Jethro Tull "Stand Up" on US Reprise (2nd press all brown label). Now don't flame me yet! I know the MFSL will kill this pressing, but it really does sound pretty good, and will certainly maim the current CD remaster which (if anything like "Benefit") has been painfully compressed at the mastering stage. I've been tempted to upgrade, but I spent $0.75 for this at a tag sale and have been pleased. The all-brown label is not too terribly difficult to find, generally $10 or under if minty, and worth it. I used to own a copy of "This Was" on the 2-toned orange and brown Reprise label, and that one sounded very nice too. Lost that years ago :(

Cream Disraeli Gears on Atco, original Mono press. Well, it isn't a cheap one, but this is one LP I just adore. One of the very few great mono mix issues I have. The MFSL is great, but the original vinyl has that charm factor that keeps you coming back. I usually prefer stereo mixes, but this mono mix is fat and complements the music in a way the stereo doesn't IMO. If you have been considering this LP, it's worth the $$.

George Thorogood "Move It On Over" on Rounder (original issue, no UPC). I'm not a big fan, but when I first heard this LP, it floored me. Very dynamic, awesome big sound. The first tracks (Move It On Over, Who Do You Love) sound the most amazing - as is often true on LPs. The CD cannot possibly sound as good, though I've never heard it.

OK (whew!!!). Anyone else?? :D :D

3. Mike V

Mike V New Member

John,

I look at this thread as an opportunity to discuss the best commonplace versions of our favorite stuff, regardless of how the original recording sounded. If it's a good album, you'll still seek it out, right?

4. Scott Wheeler

Scott Wheeler Forum Resident

Here is one that still freaks me out. Led Zeppelin Houses of the Holy US reissue. This record simply shouldn't sound that good. It pretty much stands up to the classic reissue.

5. JPartyka

JPartyka I Got a Home on High

I'll second a few that have been mentioned: James Taylor's Sweet Baby James (I must own seven green-label Warner copies, one of them a Warner-Seven Arts, and you really have to shop for stampers on this one ... they all sound different) and Van Morrison's Astral Weeks and Too Late to Stop Now (I'll add the green-label Moondance too).

That MCA/Track brown-label Who Odds & Sods (with die-cut sleeve) is indeed incredible, as Sckott says. Found it for 50 cents a few months back at my local antique shop.

Also ... a few Atlantic reissues: the CSN&Y Deja Vu Sckott and others have mentioned in the past, which I picked up recently and is clearly superior to the "1841 Broadway"-label original. Also found a copy of Crosby, Stills & Nash with a similar stamper, which is also very good (I still prefer the Classic LP, though). I also have a latter-day Led Zeppelin II (INCREDIBLY dynamic!) that's miles ahead of an earlier copy I have, and that I even like better than the Classic reissue.

A few I've picked up recently: Sly & the Family Stone's There's a Riot Goin' On (Epic KE 30986), yellow-label original, with the banned "flag" cover. Found this on a recent Chicago trip (where I also finally found a stereo UK original Beatles for Sale, stone mint). Slays the blue-label '80s pressing I'd bought first, by a wide margin. (Just added a subwoofer to my system, and this copy really packs a punch now.)

Squeeze's East Side Story (A&M AMLH 64854), UK original. Laughably better than the US, and even than the MoFi CD (which is excellent). A Porky Prime Cut.

6. Mike V

Mike V New Member

I have a mint copy that I've never played, maybe late 70's early 80's vintage. Bought after I got the Classic, so I just assumed.... Damn, I'll have to check it out!

7. Upstateaudio

Upstateaudio Senior Member

I'm surprised nobody has mentioned Rickie Lee Jones debut album and Pirates!!!!!

Another great pressing but may not suit every body's taste is Oregon's In
    Performance.

They both are wonderful standard pressings!!!!

8. joelee

joelee Hyperactive!

Two of my favorite LPs for sound:
    Joe Jackson-Night and Day(A&M original)
    Bruce Springsteen-Darkness of the Edge of Town(Columbia original)

Joe

9. SVL

SVL Forum Resident

Were/are these available on vinyl?

True, they sound very good on CD.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.