Standmount Speakers with good bass

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by vinylsam, Aug 6, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. vinylsam

vinylsam Forum Resident Thread Starter

What standmount speakers are best at producing a genuine low bass and maintain a good bass output without loosing too much detail.

I am trying to avoid the move to buy a Subwoofer and would prefer to continue using a standmount speaker as I like their ability to be able to produce a good musical image and soundstage. They also are easier to adjust to the room by altering positioning of the speaker.

I use Naim Amps in a room about 4.75M x 4.25M

bhazen likes this.
  2. bhazen

bhazen GOO GOO GOO JOOB

Have you checked out Guru speakers? They make two standmount models (QM10 and Guru Junior) that are reputed to have amazing bass extension. They are designed to be sat up against the wall to reinforce the bass, a la older Naim and Linn speakers (think Kans or Saras). I've seen a bit of buzz on the Naim forum about Gurus being synergistic with Naim kit. No dealers here in Seattle unfortunately, but I'm hoping to get a local audition of the Sjofn "the Clue" speakers (which are very much based on the Guru design/concept). Don't know if Sjofn is available in the UK, though.

vinylsam likes this.
  3. Rick58

Rick58 Forum Resident

I've read reviews of Totem Model 1 sigs (from several years ago) ... and actually they re-reviewed a later iteration in 2008:
    http://www.stereophile.com/content/totem-acoustic-model-1-loudspeaker-john-atkinson-october-2008
    funny - the in-room measurement is missing, but all the reviews comment on the bass (being unusually strong etc. for a minimonitor).

Don't know if they'll outperform your present speakers in this regard ... but thought I'd comment as these don't seem to be 'popular' these days, but may be a good solution for you.

I don't know that any small speaker can give you flat bass to 25Hz; possbly the ones mentioned above (designed to be placed against a wall).

4. Rick58

Rick58 Forum Resident

ALTHO ... http://www.stereophile.com/content/totem-acoustic-model-1-loudspeaker-larry-greenhill-april-2003 :)

I'm 99.9% certain he placed the speakers on their stands five FEET (NOT 5 INCHES) from the wall ... as for the earlier review he says they were 3' from the back wall (and he sat 8' from the speakers). This time he says he was sitting 10' from the speakers.

One needs a fairly beefy amp to drive these somewhat low sensitivity (84-87dB, depending on iteration) speakers, but if your amp(s) can put out 80 or 100W into 4 ohms, shouldn't be an issue.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2014
  5. Rick58

Rick58 Forum Resident

Last edited: Aug 6, 2014
  6. weirdo12

weirdo12 Forum Resident

Joseph Audio Pulsar - you didn't mention a price point that you'd find attractive too...

[​IMG]

7. Ortofun

Ortofun Well-Known Member

I was going to recommend Lenehan ML-1's, ............these do amazing bass considering the little 5.5 inch mid-bass driver, but they could be beyond budget new.

8. F1nut

F1nut Forum Resident

I was going to suggest this, but since you beat me to it, I'll second. An amazing speaker.

9. Ortofun

10. weirdo12

weirdo12 Forum Resident

11. Slack

Slack Forum Resident

PMC transmission line speakers have good bass.Certainly better than most of the ported alternatives.

Chazz and tubesandvinyl like this.
  12. Brother_Rael

Brother_Rael Senior Member

Check out Pioneer's S71-B. Brilliant little speaker, great design and ample bass.

13. GoldprintAudio

GoldprintAudio Forum Resident

What's your price point?

As mentioned above several times, the Joseph Pulsar is an amazing speaker.

14. avanti1960

avanti1960 Forum Resident

KEF R300

vinylsam likes this.
  15. tubesandvinyl

tubesandvinyl Forum Resident

PMC. Great, tuneful, low, tight bass.

bhazen and Chazz like this.
  16. vinylsam

Thanks for replying, I will do some reading on these speakers it will be interesting if they can maintain a good flat response without loosing db the lower it gets.

bhazen likes this.
  17. vinylsam

These may be an option and within my budget of up to £1000
    I will have a chat with my local hi fi shop, I think they stock them, it would be worthwhile comparing them to my ProAc 2000 Tablette

18. vinylsam

I have a pair of ProAc Tablette 2000 at present and my budget is around £1000

19. Ortofun

20. avanti1960

avanti1960 Forum Resident

Good luck! The R300 speakers are actually better sounding than the LS50, which received marketing hype on par with the US Superbowl. The R300 quietly does a superior job despite its relative obscurity.

21. jupiterboy

jupiterboy Forum Residue

I was sort of looking for the same kind of solution, but with no rear firing port. NSMT PSM SEs are working pretty well for me, although the in-room response is less extended than the specs, and they are a tad lumpy in overall response. They, IMO, are much better sounding speakers than any comparable KEF or Sonus Faber speakers.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.