Stanton D-50E Mk II vs. Shure V15V-MR

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by vanmeterannie, Mar 18, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. vanmeterannie

vanmeterannie Senior Member Thread Starter

I recently bought a Technics SL-1800 and purchased two headshells...intending to put my Shure V15V-MR on one as the "main" stylus and an old Stanton 500 with a new D-50E Mk II stylus on the other to play trashed records. I've always been a Shure person, so imagine my surprise when the cheap Stanton (I paid about $20) plays beautifully with very little tracking error and a great top end. Anybody else had this experience with the Stanton? I'm curious about reaction here; to be honest about it the Shure stylus is so delicate, and I've wasted a couple in my time, that the choice between using it and the much cheaper Stanton is easy considering how close the sound in my opinion. I'm tracking at 1.5 grams, by the way...thoughts? I'm concerned I'm going to get dozens of people saying, "you're destroying your collection!"

2. Mike V

Mike V New Member

I used to have a Stanton, though I forget which. The thing that sold me from it was looking at the diamond at high magnification. It seriously looked like a boulder with a tip on the end. Not good, IMO, but it did sound OK. Plus the spherical shape makes for poor tracking on tough discs. Sibilance was a night/day difference between the Shure & Stanton, with the Shure breezing through LPs I just assumed were cut badly.. IMO, you get what you pay for.

BUT for playing trashed records, I totally agree with using the Stanton. Don't put the Shure stylus through that hell! I bought a M97 stylus for badly worn LPs & use that in my Shure for that same purpose..

3. vanmeterannie

Actually, this Stanton is elliptical. That's just the thing...I don't hear a huge difference in the top end. Some, but very little. I'm not impying that the $20 stylus is the equal of the Shure, I'm just suprised at how small the gap is between the two, at least in my opinion.

4. vanmeterannie

Gosh, I can't spell today...that should be "implying" and "surprised". And I write copy sometimes between 9 and 5!

5. -=Rudy=-

-=Rudy=- ♪♫♪♫♫♪♪♫♪♪ Staff

If you had a good test record with various tracking levels, it would more easily reveal how well a cartridge tracks. Plus, it depends on the music you play: a 12" single cut "hot" with a lot of high frequencies is going to tax a cartridge, where other music won't even faze it. Big difference I notice is on 45s; the V15 plays 'em like butter, since the narrower diamond profile enables it to track the tighter grooves without distortion, where other carts I tried just couldn't cut it without distortion.

I still use an old Grado as a "junker" for trashed LPs...but I don't trust my good vinyl to anything but the V15VMR. After 20 years, I see no reason to change. :)

6. vanmeterannie

You know, that's a thought...I have the Shure Trackability record that I got with my cartridge 20 years ago. I may try it with the Stanton tonight and see what happens.

7. vanmeterannie

Indeed, the Stanton wouldn't make it through the first cut on the Shure LP without breaking up...so I'm going back to the Shure except for the trashed things I have.

8. electrode10101

electrode10101 Forum Resident

The Stanton should be set to track at 2 grams. Plus, it's a bit sensitive to VTA. It's certainly not the equal of the V15, but for the $$ it's a pretty respectable cart. Do enjoy it with your less than stellar vinyl, however.

John Diamantis

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.