Stanton L720EE vs. Audio-Technica 301EP

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Brett44, Sep 27, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Brett44

Brett44 Senior Member Thread Starter

I have a Technics SL-BD22 and want to replace the current P-mount cartridge that I have now, a Audio-Technica 1001. Any suggestions for around $50? I want to slightly upgrade this table without spending a lot of money. If I feel like I'm really going to get back into vinyl, which looks good since I've picked up 60 albums in the past two months and am loving it, I'll upgrade to a better table in a year or so. Back to P-mount cartridges, would you go with the Stanton L720EE or the Audio-Technica 301EP which I think I can still get? Or perhaps a differnt P-mount for $50-$70? I've read that Grados don't work well with my table.

How about this one: Audio-Technica 92ECD? I can get it for about $29 shipped. I'm not trying to save money, but if it's decent that's a nice price.

Thanks,
    Brett

2. Damián

Damián Forum Hall Of Fame

Hi Brett. Of the two I've only heard the Stanton L720EE, which I used back when I had a Technics SL-BD20 'table.

I do own and have heard a number of other Audio-Technica cartridges and while some are better than others there's a 'common characteristic' to the sound- it tends to be on the brighter side, and at times it takes on a certain 'weightlessness' (sorry about the not-too-descriptive terms) that reminds me of some 'blah' CDs.

The Stanton has a nice full-bodied sound and tracks well. And I distinctly recall picking up mine for about $22 or less (this was like 5 years back, so you'd likely find a better price today).

My personal opinion is, go with the Stanton. You might want to wait for others to chime in, though.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.