Stanton st-150 turntable. Thoughts?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Dave112, Sep 18, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dave112

Dave112 Forum Resident Thread Starter

[​IMG] I'm wanting to upgrade my turntable. Keep in mind that I don't have a giant budget and the my record collection is pretty much complete as I add new vinyl only very rarely. I have been impressed by the Stanton st-150 turntable. It is very heavy and has a very powerful motor due to being a dj scratching table that is directly competing with Technics 1200 turntable. I don't scratch records but I do have a nice collection of 33,45,& 78 rpm records that I enjoy on occasion. Have any of y'all used the Stanton st-150 or even a st-100 turntable. What is your opinion on them for a stereo system? They look like they would hold up well and that I'd get good value. Since these play 78's, I want to eventually have two turntables with one setup to play 78 records. Any reviews and feedback would be great.[​IMG]

2. McLover

McLover Senior Member

Get the Audio-Technica AT-PL 120 USB instead. Customer service is way better if you have an issue. Same turntable basically. The AT is often less expensive. Same Hanpin made Technics SL-1200 copy either way. Err on the side of support and customer service.

PhilBiker and Dave112 like this.
  3. Dave112

I'll check it out McLover. Thanks!

4. Rolltide

Rolltide Forum Resident

The Stanton 150 is actually the Hanpin SuperOEM, so the comparable AT would be the AT240, not the AT120. Your recommendation to go with Audio Technica over Stanton stands, however. It's also less "DJ looking".

PhilBiker likes this.
  5. Gibsonian

Gibsonian Forum Resident

I'd get the Stanton 150 or AT 240. Heavier, better specs. I see no reason to buy a lesser table because of appearance. But that's just my take. Doubt if there is much difference between the 150 and 240, and likelihood of an issue is low based on large amount of customer feedback. Keep us posted on how you come out!

6. Notice that the original ST.150 comes with a DJ cartridge, which I've considered a not so smart decision from the brand (it's more expensive because of that). On the other hand, the recent ST.150 M2 doesn't come with a cartridge. I don't know if it's cheaper than the first version or not, but anyway you don't have to include a cartridge you probably won't like in your purchase.

To me, the best options currently available in the Super OEM platform are either the Audio-Technica AT-LP1240-USB, the Stanton ST.150 M2 and the Reloop RP-7000.

AcidPunk15 likes this.
  7. McLover

McLover Senior Member

And on those 3, get the Audio-Technica. It wins on customer service and support. If you have issues, they take care of their customers. The above are the same, and AT is the easiest to deal with if issues arise or you need assistance later in any area.

Rolltide and PhilBiker like this.
  8. Dave112

Thank everyone! After looking up all of these turntables, I have found one that I like better than the Stanton. It is of course very similar but it has better specs for a lower price. The Audio-Technica AT-LP1240-USB seems to be what I'm looking for. Does anyone have one? If so, what do you think about it? Still open to other suggestions but I like the Audio-Technica best so far.

9. Ozric

Ozric Senior Member

One that has not been mentioned is the Pioneer PLX-1000 Direct Drive Turntable. I believe that it is also a variant of the Hanpin SuperOEM design, but many people seem to think it has an edge in build quality over the Stanton and Audio Technica versions. I personally own a Audio Technica AT LP-240 and it is good enough for my vinyl needs. If I had to buy today though, I would look hard at the Pioneer.

https://www.amazon.com/Pioneer-PLX-...13&sr=8-1&keywords=pioneer+plx+1000+turntable

Dave112 likes this.
  10. AcidPunk15

AcidPunk15 Forum Resident

Dave112 and PhilBiker like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.