Star Trek: Beyond (July 22, 2016)

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by music and movies, Dec 14, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tree of Life

Tree of Life Hysteria

So this means everyone will like it based on what these "critics" like? It doesn't matter nor to I care what a critic thinks about a movie. Usually the ones they are critical of like the recent X-men are the best ones to see!

2. shokhead

shokhead Head shok and you still don't what it is. HA!

RT is just another opinion like yours or mine. Take it and use it or don't but it's not something to get upset about imo of course.

Tree of Life and Dr. Pepper like this.
  3. Dr. Pepper

Dr. Pepper What, me worry?

Exactly! My chances of of enjoying a film that most people like are higher than a film that few people enjoy. Also it's just nice to see that a Star Trek film is enjoyed by most of the critics an unfortunate rarity it seems.

Tree of Life likes this.
  4. PlushFieldHarpy

PlushFieldHarpy Forum Resident

I sympathize with George Takei's feelings about making Sulu gay. It's so offensive to make the character gay because the actor who played him was. Another example of political correctness gone terribly wrong.

Rocker, SandAndGlass, Matthew and 3 others like this.
  5. peteham

peteham Senior Member

Do you do dinner parties?

Dr. Pepper likes this.
  6. Dr. Pepper

I wouldn't say that's political correctness at all, but it is an homage to the actor instead of the series, which is walking on shaky ground. Now if we follow the logic that Gene was trying to show that there would still be different ethnic groups in the future and that they would work together and get along, then expanding that to the LGBTQ community probably makes sense, in acknowledging that they have always been part of society and always will. Now if they wanted to heat things up, they would make Uhura go both ways, maybe have Kirk call down to Spock's quarters and have Spock, Uhura, and Jaylah all in bed together! Then don't make any more references to it and see what the fans and critics say, it could be fun!

7. Dr. Pepper

Now, back on track. Did anyone else find Spock's portrayal a little weird. I guess they are trying to show that this Spock is more comfortable embracing his human side? I mean Spock smiling and laughing?

8. BeatleJWOL

BeatleJWOL Carnival of Light enjoyer... IF I HAD ONE

That's good to know. Some of the scenes when I saw it were quite dark.

9. Paul Saldana

Paul Saldana jazz vinyl addict

This Spock has been more emotional than the Nimoy Spock since day one. I felt it was because of the very real chance that he was going to die there on the prison planet that he let loose with laughter - which obviously caught McCoy by surprise!

10. Encuentro

Encuentro Forum Resident

This Spock is truly a man of two worlds. Lip service was given to the TOS era Spock being a man of two worlds, but he was every bit as Vulcan as his father, rarely showing any emotion. One wonders why they bothered to make Spock half human if they weren't going to bother bringing his human side out. The characterization of Spock in the new films embraces his human side, a good move on the part of the writers.

neo123 likes this.
  11. konut

konut Prodigious Member. Thank you.

Saw it today and enjoyed it save for the soundtrack which was insipid and the choice of the "songs".

12. You don't like beats and screaming? :)

13. Dr. Pepper

I loved that the music at the end is from the end credits on the tv series!

Loved that they had the whole cast take turns with "Where no one has gone before"

Encuentro likes this.
  14. Now it's 85%. It was entertaining but I enjoyed the first two films in the Latest trilogy more.

Nice shout out to "Enterprise" in the film.

Wouldn't have been my choice but there could have been worse selections.

15. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

Because Spock chose the Vulcan way of life, practicing it's teachings and customs from an early age. He learned, like other Vulcans, to control his emotions through rituals, meditation, etc. I guess nuSpock wasn't as good a student!

Taurus, Meng and Encuentro like this.
  16. In the pilot for "Star Trek" with Jeffrey Hunter, Spock does express some emotion. Granted, the character hadn't fully been realized yet but even in the earliest episodes of the series there was a hint of humanity occasionally trying to break through. The difference here is the relationship with Uhura who has opened him up to human emotion more than before and his control is a bit less complete.

On the other hand the Spock character "chose" to embrace his Vulcan side fully purging himself of as much emotion as possible but still having an emotional "core" that connected with his best friends.

Encuentro likes this.
  17. Encuentro

Encuentro Forum Resident

You can also catch smiling a bit after he's thrown into the water at the end of The Voyage Home. Yes, his emotions rise to the surface every once in a while in Nimoy's portrayal.

18. konut

konut Prodigious Member. Thank you.

I LOVE beats and screaming, just not the ones they chose.

BGLeduc likes this.
  19. Encuentro

Encuentro Forum Resident

Deleted original post, because I can't get the spoiler tag to work.

20. I think part of that was the loss of control related to his injury.

21. greelywinger

greelywinger Osmondia

Yes it does slip through from time to time. Like at the end of the TOS episode 'Amok Time'
    When he sees Kirk alive after believing he killed his friend.

Darryl

Encuentro likes this.
  22. shokhead

or he just got horny!

23. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

Vulcans do not get horny and it wasn't Pon Farr time. :)

SandAndGlass and Rodant Kapoor like this.
  24. shokhead

:faint:

25. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues

Who cares how completely unemotional Spock was before etc, I welcome these changes rather than reproducing the same old same old. Looking forward to this new film.

shokhead likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.